main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Droning On

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 28, 2013.

1. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think the point is that if there is review, there would, theoretically, be greater caution taken in carrying out strikes, knowing that it would always be reviewed.

The simple appeal of the drones is that people can be killed in these countries without American lives being directly risked. The long term results are not, I think, in the calculations at all.

2. Condition2SQ

Condition2SQ Jedi Master star 4

Sep 5, 2012
    I certainly hope that's not the case. The point of drones should be to facilitate the long-term strategic defeat of al-qaeda, not stack up as many corpses as possible.

3. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's a combination of lives not being risked and money, along with drones not being anywhere near as publically prominent as long-term occupations are.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  4. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I suspect that we all overestimate the sophistication and nuance of US policy on al-qeada and that stacking up as many corpses as possible is actually the official operational plan to facilitate its long-term strategic defeat.

5. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    I just have a hard time buying that cartoon image, though, especially with Barack Obama as the architect of the whole thing. As I've said numerous times, I don't have any problem with President Obama reneging on much of the lofty rhetoric of Candidate Obama, since the reasons for the transformation are obvious. 1)He now has access to all of the intel, and 2)It's his responsibility now if something actually does happen. But the robustness of the drone program goes beyond that; the problem isn't that it's necessarily unprincipled, it's that it seems stupid. The objections I raised here are hardly novel or sophisticated. Many people have spontaneously observed them.

6. Condition2SQ

Sep 5, 2012
    Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  7. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    Anyone else see the reports of DARPA testing the launching of drones from submarines? At some point, would that render traditional aircraft carriers obsolete?

8. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I think it depends on how much you want to do remotely, and how much power they're comfortable giving the drones.

9. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Drones will probably make soldiers and most of the navy obsolete eventually. Why put soldiers on the ground, when you can blow things up undetectable and from a very safe distance? The only reason then to have soldiers would be for occupation, or other military missions where the objective is not to destroy or kill.

10. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    I have an idea with smaller helicopter drones. Hook up a thermal imaging camera and fly them into a burning building to find victims and a long with a map of the building use it to digitally map out the fire for more efficient fire fighting. You could even after finding a victim use a gun mount on one to blow up a lock and bring an air line to the victim so the firefighters can find the victim faster and the victim can have a some fresh air as well. Or you could mount an oxygen tank onto a helicopter drone, fly it into the fire and drop it to the victims. You can leave them with vital oxygen allowing the fire fighters time to get the victim out alive.