Drop Down Menu Issue

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Darth-Seldon, Dec 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    This is a really, really, really minor issue--and it might be a user issue because I'm horrible with computers.
    With that said, I figured I would throw it out there and see if anyone else has had a problem.

On certain forums, when I try to navigate out of it by clicking on "Jedi Council Forums" the drop down menus get out of control and I'm often re-directed at Fan Activities or Fan Fiction (two areas that I never go to on the boards.) Like I said, this is minor but these drop down menus tend to take over.

I'm likely at fault here. I'm not computer savvy/literate at all.
    Thanks.
  2. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    This happens to me every once in a while when I'm using my netbook. Basically what happens is that there isn't enough space for the dropdown to appear below the link, so it drops it from the top of the window. However, sometimes there isn't enough room above the link either, so it ends up dropping right on top of the link. The easy fix (though perhaps slightly tedious) is to scroll up so that the link is near the top of the window. Or you can just use the link at the bottom of the page.
  3. Darth-Seldon Force Ghost

star 6
    Thanks! I realize it was a stupid question. Never thought of that.
  4. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Question: The drop down menus do not seem to show up on the links found at the bottom of every page. Is there any way to make that happen?
  5. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Not without some major upgrading to the way the menus work.

Here's the problem: The forum templates dictate that the same exact code for the nav links has to go in both the header and the footer of the page (i.e. there's no way around this). Since the menus work by using CSS and JavaScript functions that rely on tag IDs to identify which links to create the drop downs for, the menus will only work for one set of links.

Now, I know what you're thinking. "But Grimby, the tag IDs are the same in both places because the code is the same, so why shouldn't it work?!" Well, unfortunately what happens when a web browser parses the page code is that it basically only recognizes the first tag that uses any given ID and ignores any others. So when the menu script runs and identifies which links the menus will fall under, it doesn't recognize the bottom links because the IDs are invalid.

In order to make it work, we'd have to do some major re-coding of the nav links or perhaps add yet another JavaScript function that runs on each page load to change the IDs for the bottom links. I'm really not a fan of doing this since the boards are already loading so slow these days. And frankly, I don't think it's worth spending time on at this point since we'll be leaving as soon as the database conversion stuff is figured out.

I hope that makes sense. :p
  6. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Hmm sort of but I'll take your word for it. :p
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.