Beyond "Drops of Jade", UDC IV - COMPLETE on 8/29/09!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Okay, I'm just a few weeks behind - it feels like a 'one step forward, two steps back sorta thing, but I'll have you know that I am quite determined. :cool:

Some replies, and then on to the good stuff. [face_dancing]

dancing_star: Thanks so much!! It was too much fun to try to get into their heads for this . . . particular circumstance. ;)

Jade_eyes: It sure did! [face_laugh] Thanks so much for reading!!

The-solo-smirk: I don't know how to comment further on this, but it's damn funny...so I'm writing nonsense here...
    LOL!! I love your nonsense, I do think that it worked perfectly. ;) Thanks for leaving your thoughts, this sure was a fun one to write. [face_laugh]

DaenaBenjen42: LOL! I'll have you know that I am particularly fond of reviews written while on the influence of chocolate. :p Backseat Driver: OH force! Don't spout stuff like that. The Pro!Fic authors may hear you. [face_worried]

Jade_Pilot: Thanks! That was a favorite line of mine, as well. :)

ginchy: How perfect! I am late updating everything, which I do believe is loads worse than letting DRL get in way of your reading. ;) Thanks for leaving all of your thoughts now! The Luke and Ben set in particular was a tearjerker to write. yes . . . :(

~MJ @};-

2. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I never knew that five-hunded words could give you so much grief. Shesh! :oops: Yet, here they are, as tweeked as they ever will be, centered on the events of LOTF: Revelation.

I enjoyed the scenes on Mandalore almost two much, just a warning. ;)

Week Twelve - ?An Enemy of an Enemy . . .?

056. Saint

Mandalore is a harsh world.

As hard as its people, with little bounty to offer from its fields, and generally unappealing to the senses, Jaina at first found little beauty in the planet. Her people, while a gritty and strong breed, soon held her respect in the honest emotion that she saw in their eyes. They don't look up to her because of the weapon at her belt. Such things have no place here. Here she is no Sword, merely another soul working hard in exchange for their services.

Jaina finds that giving her peace as much as anything else.

057. Sinner

Most of her views on the man changed in just one moment.

There was an awkward sort of softness to Fett as he and Syntas walked the edges of Bevin's fields. They didn't touch, and their words were few, but the air between them was heavy with an almost-regret - the awkwardness of two people who never really allowed themselves to truly feel initially.

The irony of their situation isn't lost on her, or the girl at her side.

?It's weird, isn't it? When people aren't who you expect them to be . . .? Mirta whispered.

Jaina nodded, lost to her thoughts.

058. Savior

She was tired.

She was dirty.

. . . And she was finally karking ticked off.

Picking up her saber from the mud, she glared pointedly at Fett's visor. Behind her was the harsh laughter of her sparring partner, and Jaina scowled at her too.

?And she breaks!? Mirta declared. ?The savior herself, loosing her temper at one bash-nir of an old man.?

While she's sure that Fett does not appreciate the jest, it does lots to improve her mood.

Rolling her eyes, she muttered, ?Sometimes I think that I should just set you on my brother.?

Mirta snorted. ?Try affording me.?

59. Killer

On her tenth day on Mandalore, she's shown a dozen ways to break a man's neck with just her bare hands.

When they break for the afternoon, she walks to the edge of the sparring ring, and fights the urge to be sick. She sees her brother's face . . . and she sees the light leaving his eyes . . . and something inside her hurts so very badly . . .

There's a gloved hand at her shoulder. She didn't bother looking up, feeling Mirta's presence in the force. ?It's an unnatural thing,? the girl mumbled, ?killing kin.?

The empathy helps calm her stomach, just a little.

60. Martyr

Mirta was surprisingly insightful, seeing the situation more clearly than Jaina was comfortable with. ?I think that killing hurts both ways. It's easy to die ? but to kill yourself the way you're going to . . . you are a martyr whom very few will empathize for,? was her last comment on the matter.

Jaina looked at her for a moment, before holding her hand out. ?It's been a pleasure meeting you,? she said, finding that she meant it.

Mirta shrugged, but she took her hand nonetheless. ?Try not to get yourself slagged. I'm just starting to like you.?

?I'll do my best.?

~MJ @};-/>
  3. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Terrific set. Mirta and Jaina are very intriguing together. [face_thinking] Mirta has enough objectivity to be able to share her insights with Jaina and have them believed because Mirta's seen a lot and done even more. ;) It sounds like Jaina was able to just be herself in Saint and was able to be taken or left as a person not as a larger-than-life symbol. :p it must've been such a relief to stop being The Sword or any other official title.

The dialogue is wonderful. :D It has that rough but honest tone to it. :)

4. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Exactly! :D These were so well done as always. Very nice job and looking forward to more! =D=[:D] http://boards.theforce.net/PostForms/PostReply.aspx?brd=10477&topic=29942117&quote=30258136
  5. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    OH force! Don't spout stuff like that. The Pro!Fic authors may hear you. [face_worried]

Okay... [face_shhh] I'll refrain from that speculation... or even thinking it... [face_shhh]

I've yet to fully read LOTF, so this'll be a little raw.

Saint: Must be a relief, to be among people who understand, at least partly, if not totally. Glad she found a place to belong.

Sinner: Does Mirta realize she's saying that to Jaina Solo, whose brother was a totally likeable guy before he turned to the darkside under the noses of everyone he knew? Though, really, whether she does or does not, doesn't matter. She's right.

Savior: Is she learning to be humble in the middle of everything? Liked that one.

Killer: That it is. I'm starting to like the sparring partner.

Martyr: Mirta has a very, very good point... and you made me chuckle.

Good drabbles. :)
  6. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    In the interests of playing catch-up, I have a (relatively) quick update. [face_dancing]

Jade_eyes: Mirta's character sure was a lot of fun to play with. I felt that she went nicely with Jaina - after all, if there was one thing she understood, it is a messed up family. :rolleyes: Mandalore too, as a whole, would have been refreshing for Jaina. [face_love] Thanks for reading, gal!! [:D]

dancing_star: Thanks! The dialogue gave me loads of trouble here, for some reason, so I was thrilled that you all enjoyed it. :D

DaenaBenjen42: Not raw at all. Your observations, as always, were spot on and enjoyed. ;) Thanks for reading!! [:D]

~MJ @};-
  7. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Alrighty, here I have something a bit new. [face_worried]

I have dabbled with the Legacy characters only a very little. This is my first time trying to flesh out one of the characters, based on only reading not even half of the issues.

Um, this little exercise is set some time right before the comics.

. . . so, tell me what you think. :)

Week Thirteen - ?An Empathy Deep and Wide?

61. Hold Back the darkness

It was a gritty day ? the kind where you ended up trudging through the bowls of one more seedy underworld in order to seize a man deserving of every price on his head. She fought the urge to itch at her skin, feeling the emotions clamor through her like dust through the wind.

Jariah finally got around to sedating their bounty before Cade did more . . . permanent damage.

Deliah wouldn't have blamed him. She could feel the man's hostility . . . his cruelty . . .

She took a long breath before opening her eyes again.

Three hours, and then they would be rid of him.

62. Take a Stand

?Dammit Cade, you really stepped in it this time!?

Jariah's voice echoed on the cockpit walls; filled with righteous indignation, and shaking on the brittle tension between the two men. Cade was breathing heavy, his eyes holding a telltale glaze as he glared at his friend.

Deliah was silent ? a situation only brought on by the deepest of disappointments. Her eyes traveled up and down Cade, shimmering as his unchecked emotions swirled violently right outside of her consciousness.

Without a word, she got to her feet, and swept out, letting the night air outside of the Mynock clear her head.

63. When You're Lost

The spirits burned going down her throat, but she didn't much care. The strong liquor had a pleasant warmth that reverberated through her, soothing over the rough edges from the last days past. Around her the concentrated throng of sentients mingling and enjoying themselves buzzed happily at her psyche, turning each wrong of the last few days into a temporary right. She was encased in a soft green leather, leading down to dangerously high heels, and the thrill of those looking at her became her own thrill.

It wasn't enough at times, but she'll always take what she can get.

64. No Solid Ground

There were instances in their line of work where things just went wrong. And still, her heart jumped into her throat every single time.

?I ain't feelin' so hot, Blue,? Cade murmured as Jariah looped one of his arms over his shoulders, and gestured for her to do the same.

She did, and her eyes slid over the crimson that clung to his clothes, his hair. Her hands were slick, warm with blood against his skin.

?Red's not your color, baby,? she jested with a forced lightness, her hands clenching against him almost desperately in sharp contrast to her words.

65. There's Only Us

One of his shirts draped halfway down her thighs. While not her usual choice of attire, the worn fabric was comfortably soft against her skin, and the formless flow of it soothed her frazzled nerves in a way that she would rarely acknowledge. Waiting, she counted falling raindrops against the glass with tired eyes.

Cade came back in at a late hour, soaking wet, his stance weary and his steps heavy, and after a moments hesitation she got up and wrapped her arms around him.

She could feel him breathe against her shoulder, and something inside slowly weaved back together.

~MJ @};-/>
  8. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Amazing!! Vivid!! you've captured Deliah wonderfully!!

Bravo!

=D=
    =D=
  9. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4

65. There's Only Us

One of his shirts draped halfway down her thighs. While not her usual choice of attire, the worn fabric was comfortably soft against her skin, and the formless flow of it soothed her frazzled nerves in a way that she would rarely acknowledge. Waiting, she counted falling raindrops against the glass with tired eyes.

Cade came back in at a late hour, soaking wet, his stance weary and his steps heavy, and after a moments hesitation she got up and wrapped her arms around him.

She could feel him breathe against her shoulder, and something inside slowly weaved back together.

Wow. Your writing is (as always) stellar!! =D= Amazing job as always and looking forward to more! [:D]@};-
  10. Jedi Trace SouthEast RSA

Manager
    star 6
    Alrighty, here I have something a bit new. [face_worried]

I have dabbled with the Legacy characters only a very little. This is my first time trying to flesh out one of the characters, based on only reading not even half of the issues.

Um, this little exercise is set some time right before the comics.

. . . so, tell me what you think.
    :)

I think you did an AWESOME job!! :eek: =D=

Seriously, I would never have believed that you'd read less than half of the books because your portrayal of Deliah is very realistic and true to her character.

I really like how you focused on her being empathic. She catches a lot of flack for putting up with Cade, but I've always thought that it had a lot to do with the fact that she can sense his emotions.

She fought the urge to itch at her skin, feeling the emotions clamor through her like dust through the wind.

Love the imagery there, again, a subtle nod to the fact that she's not human and has her own issues to deal with.

Deliah was silent ? a situation only brought on by the deepest of disappointments. Her eyes traveled up and down Cade, shimmering as his unchecked emotions swirled violently right outside of her consciousness.

Perfect!

She did, and her eyes slid over the crimson that clung to his clothes, his hair. Her hands were slick, warm with blood against his skin.

?Red's not your color, baby,? she jested with a forced lightness, her hands clenching against him almost desperately in sharp contrast to her words.

Such a small moment, but it really reflects their relationship.

Waiting, she counted falling raindrops against the glass with tired eyes.

She could feel him breathe against her shoulder, and something inside slowly weaved back together

Ah, that was lovely! [face_love]

Again, fantastic job! :D

11. karebear214 Force Ghost

star 4
    I love it! You really captured the strength and intensity of what Deliah feels in a beautiful way. I would love to see more of you dabbling with these characters.
  12. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Hold back the darkness: Everyone wanting to beat the guy up and just wanting him off the ship... liked that.

Take a stand: And she didn't need to say a word, there, for her point to be heard. (Is Blue force sensitive?)

When You're Lost: Purely electric, she is, and you swept me right into that atmosphere.

No Solid Ground: Covering up with false cheer... and she's right to do that. Awesome.

There's Only Us: Wow... [face_love]

Good drabbles. :)
  13. divapilot Force Ghost

star 4
    Nice job! "No Solid Ground" captures Deliah's devotion and sense of humor exactly. I've been a bad lurker, but I've been enjoying these. :D
  14. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Jade_eyes: Thanks!! :D [:D]

dancing_star: Aww, shucks. [face_blush] Thanks for reading, as always! :D

Jedi_Trace: Aww, thanks!! The one part I loved about Deliah was her empathy, and I did think that that had a lot to do with her putting up with Cade for so long. [face_thinking] Thanks for the awesome feedback too! Your words really meant a lot. :)

karebear214: I definitely will! Thanks for dropping in! :D

DaenaBenjen42: Nope, she's not force sensitive, she's a Zeltron, which means that she's an empath. :D Thanks so much for reading, even though the character was new-ish for you. [:D]

divapilot: Thanks for dropping in!! And as I can claim a bit of lurking here, I can totally empathize. ;) It's good to know you're enjoying them. :D

~MJ @};-
  15. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Alrighty, this week I have yet another experiment, shall we say. The promts leant themselves wonderfully to a creepier set, and I did tone them down, but . . . yeah, you'll just have to read them.

I have read nothing about Leia and Allana(Amelia) past the LoTF . . . I need to catch my breath before I see what else George botches. ;) So these may not be close to anything canon.

. . . but they were fun to write. Which says very little. :p

Anyway, I'm done rambling. ;)

Week Fourteen - ?That Which We Let Linger?

66. Whispering

She was a slight child with long, willowy limbs, and a head full of sun colored hair that tangled in the breeze. Her eyes were a lulling shade of seashell gray ? swirling storms near dusk, underlit with the softest glow of richer warmth.

While she was all her mother's coloring, there were days where Amelia looked so much like Jacen it hurt.

?Look what I found!?

The girl came in holding a small, furry, and clearly annoyed neekat. Her wide eyes asked, 'can I keep him?'

Leia looked at her, and saw someone long dead whispering in her every move.

67. Haunting

There were nights when the nightmares were bad.

While used to nigh terrors with children, these that Allana suffered were something completely different. The girl would wake up shivering, her eyes glassed over as she mumbled nonsense. Her long pixie limbs would flutter as her delicate hands weaved out stories from another's mouth.

While never one to question the bond between a force-sensitive parent and child, she is one to grieve for it.

Closing her eyes, Leia wrapped her hands around the little girl, and felt only pity for everything her son had gone through before he had fallen.

68. Lingering

She asked Luke about it once, a few months into her care for Allana.

He was silent, before mumbling, ?She is a very powerful child.? His seemingly permanently cold eyes flickered to Allana playing in the adjoining room, giggling like any normal child. ?While her time spend with Jacen was short . . . he could use the force in ways that were entirely unique . . . unnatural even. Her time spent with him meant she probably absorbed some things that Jacen didn't even realize he was projecting.?

Han's hand was warm on her shoulder, fighting away the chill frosting over deep inside of her.

69. Echoing

Allana was humming. Her voice was high and tinkling, weaving in time to the crinkled dress fluttering around her legs, throwing patterns of sun and shadow all about. She swayed slightly, swinging merrily back and forth on Leia's hand.

Her eyes were too old for such felicity.

?I can hear papa sometimes,? the girl remarked, all matter-of-fact, oblivious to the quiet fear in Leia's eyes. ?He sings sometimes. At others he just apologizes . . . Silly papa, seeking sorrys where everyone doesn't even say his name . . . Does he say sorry to you??

The sun was bright, and still Leia shivered.

70. Murmuring

It was one of the nights where Leia stayed with her granddaughter the whole night through, uncomfortable with the thought of leaving her alone.

A few hours before dawn, her eyes fluttered open to see a figure cloaked in shimmering blue and spirit white, lingering over the sleeping child. The man was murmuring soft words - apologies and promises and bedtime stories all weaved together. He tenderly touched her cheek, and she was reminded of a lost man whom had been consumed.

Leia held her breath while her son made his amends.

In the morning, the past didn't seem so insurmountable.

~MJ @};-/>
  16. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Beautiful set. The word pictures were very telling of Leia and Allana's fragile and fractured emotional existence. Very stark and yet tender at the same time. [face_thinking] I really get the sense that Allana is an avenue of loving for Leia who has lost so much, and Allana definitely needs loving and healing... to lose a parent is traumatic enough, but the how and the why :(

Bravo!!

17. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    Those were beautiful and bittersweet. Very nicely done! @};- I especially liked the last one. :)
    Lovely job and looking forward to more! =D= [:D]
  18. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    Catching up! *pant* *pant*

Week 12 rocked! I did like this part of LOTF and your insights were creative and well written.
    As for Week 13...who doesn't love Cade???? [face_laugh] Good job.

Well done! =D=
  19. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    I need to catch my breath before I see what else George botches.

Still recovering from Dark Nest, so I hear ya there.

I had to try to compose myself while reading these and it was darn near impossible. These were just THAT GOOD, Mira.

Whispering: :eek: ... [:D] That was... I... I... Didn't quite... *takes deep breath* The sense of loss for Leia, right there. She sees him, he's there, and yet... he isn't at the same time. She knows it's Allana, but for the present.

Haunting: How much must she wonder that she could have just put a stop to it all, huh? [:D] for Allana to drive away the nightmares.

Lingering: That's true. One does not have to take part in the behavior to absorb it.

Echoing: He's right there, trying to make it right when it can't be made right with just a sorry or an apology from beyond. But it IS a start.

Murmuring: Wow... wow... loved that. Awesome.

Good drabbles. :) />
  20. The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Wow. Wow. Wow.

Does anyone know if there is a story that elaborates on Han & Leia's reaction to their son's turning and his subsequent death?
    I haven't read the books but I reckon they are short on the emotional stuff...as always...

Great job done, Mira...I am speechless...you see?
  21. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I'm catching up, I swear, I swear!!

Replies, and then some drabbles. [face_dancing]

Jade_eyes: Ain't that the truth. :( Thanks, gal! [:D]

Dancing_star: Thanks!! [:D]

Jade_Pilot: I understand the catching up. ;) Thanks for leaving your thoughts, tey really mean a lot! :D

Daena: Wow. [face_blush] Thanks for the wonderful thoughts. I'm smiling like a loon here. [:D]

The-Solo-Smirk: [face_blush] Thanks for those thoughts! I love rendering my readers speechless. ;) And . . . I'm sure that there is, somewhere. [face_thinking] If I come across a good one, I'll send you a link. :D

~MJ @};-
  22. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Another double update, in the intrest of playing catch-up. :rolleyes:

Week Fifteen: ?This Gift of Mine?

71. Restrained

Luke Skywalker is ten years old when he thinks there's something . . . strange about him.

While different, he did not think it was necessarily a bad different, there was merely something off . . . an extra sense, a knack for knowing things he should simply not know.

His uncle had been rummaging about for a missing piece to the evaporater when Luke 'thought' hard, and a picture of it appeared in his mind's eye.

?It's stuck in a grate in the garage,? he told his uncle.

It was, and he was not oblivious to the look, long and slow, that passed behind him.

72. Controlled

If he focused hard enough, he could see them move.

He was only eleven, young, with no thoughts of mysticism and magic. A day of watching the evaporater units turned into something else entirely when he thought, and around his hand moisture beaded from the brittle air. The droplets sparkled like diamonds in the harshly bright light of the twin yellow suns, throwing patterns of light and shadow all around, drawing his awed eyes.

He had no idea of his impact on the drops, only the delight of a child with no thoughts of the wider things of the universe.

73. Defined

When he listened hard enough, he could hear them whisper. About him, more often than not.

?The boy isn't right in the head, Beru!?

His uncle's voice, harsh. Concerned though, Luke thinks.

Maybe.

?It's a gift, Owen.? Chiding. ?You knew of this when we took the boy in.?

?A gift? . . . Gift sure hasn't gotten others far.?

?Owen.? A warning.

?You know I'm right.? An uncomfortable tremor.

The rustling of cloth.

A lingering embrace.

?Luke's a good boy, you'll do right by him.? Reassurances.

?What if it's not enough?? Hesitance.

Hands tangling with hands.

And Luke's heart pounded in his chest.

74. Resolved

Over time, he ignored the sensation lingering at the tips of his fingers ? the whispers and the soothing murmuring coming from everything around him.

Over time, he could convince his Uncle that there was nothing out of the ordinary about him.

Over time, he could forget about the power lingering in his bones to the point where his body felt light . . . normal, without a trickle of anything more than ordinary running through his veins.

Over time, he made himself believe there was nothing special about himself at all.

Until, the time came when he could not play make believe anymore.

75. Unlimited

There was a time, when he held the saber of a fallen father in his hands, and felt something more come to life.

There was a time when he stood over a smoldering scene in the middle of a brittle sea of sand, and vowed that their deaths would not be for naught.

There was a time, when a mentor fell, and he fought to make sure that his teachings were not in vain.

And then there were times, like now, when he flexed his hand, and felt the force all around him, when everything just seemed possible and unlimited.

Week Sixteen - ?The Most Curious Attachments of Jaina Solo"

76. Bend over Backwards

Jaina Solo suffered through her first serious crush at seven years. Before, she had rolled her eyes at women who waited on a man, stars in their eyes, tangling their feet until they were useless masses of sentient matter.

Then she met him . . . and then she didn't quite mind the thoughts of sonnets and sunsets and all of those other things the holovids showed.

She watched him across the hall, biting her lip as she turned to her twin. ?Do you think he likes me??

Jacen's peculiar look was all she needed to nip that one in the bud, quick.

77. Axe to Grind

He pulls her close when they argue, whispering in her ear as if they were already lovers. He smelled of bewitching things ? starship grease, and the burn of electricity on the air around an ignit/>/>
  23. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Magnificent. How you can make a drabble "feel" like a vig... [face_laugh]

Excellently done!

=D=

Thanks for wrapping week #16 up with J&J together.

:D

24. divapilot Force Ghost

star 4
    These are wonderful. The drabbles about Luke are lyrical and glorious -- I especially like the inversion, where his child's make-believe is pretending he isn't supernatural.[face_whistling]

And the last set was terrific! Favorite line:

she pushed and pushed, and bit her tongue as her two idiots of partners fought over something that wasn't up for sale at the moment.

Perfect Jaina!
  25. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    I may be a bit partial here ;) , but the set with Luke was my favorite. [face_love]
    Wow, just perfect. =D= I loved so many things about them that I'm not sure what exactly to say. They were brilliantly done though. :) @};- Now I want to go and write about Luke's childhood days on Tatooine. :p
    =D=[:D] @};-
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.