Beyond "Drops of Jade", UDC IV - COMPLETE on 8/29/09!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Mira_Jade, Apr 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Hi Mira!

"This gift of mine" is probably one of the best sets you have written so far - I liked it that much!!! I can't even name a favourite - :eek: =D= [face_love]

The second set - I am sorry, I could never figure out who or what or when when it comes to Jaina and her merry band of conquests...Are there more than three?!? [face_laugh]

But it was beautifully written, as always...!!!

2. ginchy Force Ghost

star 4
    Oh wow! Your writing is spectacular, gal. I can't say enough about the set with Leia and Allana, especially. Those drabbles reminded me of a surrealistic film, with bright and dark colors at war with each other. GREAT work! =D=
  3. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    I'm still getting caught up, but WOW...these are amazing! Any chance I can beg you to PM me when you update?? [face_praying]

Bravo! =D=
  4. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    You sent me into poetry with the Luke set. :) Just wanted you to know.

Week 15: Liked (loved!) this exploration of Luke's early relationship with the Force, and the detail where he wanted his uncle to think he wasn't in any way odder than anyone else seems like it'd be true to his character. Unlimited was my fave, there.

Week 16: Jaina and relationships... wow. Simply wow. Without a doubt... oh yes. A beginning, all right. For both of them.

Good drabbles. :)
  5. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Replies, and then an update!! [face_dancing]

Jade_eyes: It is a lot of fun to get that feel with a drabble. [face_love] And how can I not end up with Jag and Jaina? [face_love] I may have fun tossing her around every now and again, but they really are the best. [face_love] But I think that I am preaching to the chior with that one! [face_laugh] [:D]

divapilot: From the undisputed queen of lyrical prose, your words really meant a lot to me! [:D] Thank-you so much. :D

dancing_star: How would I have guessed that you enjoyed the set with Luke? ;) I'm glad that you enjoyed them, for I'd be lying if I said that I didn't have you in mind when writing them - so thanks again for your many weeks of faithful reading. [:D]

The-Solo-Smirk: Aww, you flatter me. [face_blush] And as for Jaina . . . her guys are most interesting, but I do believe it was only three, crack!ships not counted. [face_mischief]

ginchy: Oh wow. :eek: Thanks so much for your kind words! They really mean a lot! [:D]

Vaderlvr64: PMs are a go!! :cool:

Daena: Into poetry? Wow! [face_dancing] Thanks so much for the kind words. Unlimited was a favorite of mine as well. [face_love]

~MJ @};-
  6. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I'm trying to expand with my characters here. [face_worried]

Tahiri has always been hard for me to write, but when I throw in Riina, the possibilities are fascinating. I'm seeing this one as an early NJO set. :)

The itallics and the brackets are mental conversation. :)

Week Seventeen ? ?A Prisoner of my Own Mind?

81. Yearning

It's cold here.

Are you there again?

Please? Please answer.

They came again
    , she whispered to her mind. I can feel them poke and prod, like eager boys, hands sticky and eyes black, tearing the legs off spiders. They have taken from me, and added more. You can feel that, right?

Are you listening?

Fine. I understand.

It's not like I need you ? he'll be here soon, you know, and then you ? they ? won't stand a chance. My mind will be my mind again, and I'll laugh as you're torn up.

The girl started, awakening with wild eyes. ?Hello??

Nothing.

82. Jealousy

She stretched slightly, placing one foot in front of the other with a tentative gaze. Freedom was a new thing for her now, and old things ? a jumpsuit not torn with blood, and bare feet flexing against the flagstone ? were being learned anew in the most painful of ways.

She met Anakin's eyes from across the way, and smiled gently.

I think I love him, her mind whispered.

(I think we are a fool.)

When she looks around for the other speaker, there is no one, and once more she is left alone with the darker spaces of her mind.

83. Possession

I think you should leave now.

(You are a naïve little thing, you know? How can I leave what is rightfully mine?)

Please? My head hurts. Thinking's heavy. And he . . . he helps, but he cannot completely control you. And I can't . . . I can't . . .

(Weak. Useless thing you are ? he is, curbing your potential for so much more. Earnest eyes, softly spoken words ? all sonnets alike, and just like that you are smitten.)

It's more than that.

(It is nothing.)

It is everything.

(It is everything that will someday tear you apart.)

The girl blinked, shuddering. ?I'm already being torn apart.?

84. Addiction

(You need to snap out of this, girl.)

. . . cold.

(Mourning is natural, death is natural ? but far be it for you to dishonor his sacrifice by ceasing to live yourself.)

. . . numb.

(Tahiri!)

. . . empty.

(I am one half of a whole, I cannot help you unless you want help.)

. . . gone.

(Fine. You leave me no choice.)

In the cold holds of the cargo deck, her back up against the rough coral wall, Tahiri clutched the lifeless hand of the broken boy next to her, and prayed for an answer to a problem that she no longer had the strength to fix.

85. Wanting

After everything that happened, meditation was the only way to help her school her mind. While never free of her extra passenger, she found that after time she didn't necessarily long for independence anyway. She was content with their odd partnership.

She got up from the meditation mat, her eyes lingering in the mirror as she passed by. Thoughtfully, she tilted her head, and gazed as her expression altered just slightly ? a dark shade of jungle shadow seeping in around the edges of paler green in her eyes.

One and the same.

Softly, the feral edges just missing, she smiled.

~MJ @};-/>
  7. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    That was stunning!!! =D= =D= Profic should've done exactly what you did with Riina [face_frustrated] It seemed like they just popped her in out of nowhere and made Tahiri look psychotic :p This is way better.

Bravo!!

8. The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    That was good!

I loved the change in POV - actually, I find the way you've written it more interesting than the content!

=D=!
  9. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    Absolutely WONDERFUL! My favorite?

84. Addiction

. . . cold.

(Mourning is natural, death is natural ? but far be it for you to dishonor his sacrifice by ceasing to live yourself.)

. . . numb.

(Tahiri!)

. . . empty.

. . . gone.

In the cold holds of the cargo deck, her back up against the rough coral wall, Tahiri clutched the lifeless hand of the broken boy next to her, and prayed for an answer to a problem that she no longer had the strength to fix.

=D= =D=
  10. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    :_|
    Wow.
    =D=
    84. Addiction

. . . cold.

. . . numb.

(Tahiri!)

. . . empty.

. . . gone.

This one was my favorite, but they were all superbly done!! @};-[:D]
  11. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I've been out of town so much this summer that I'm behind, but I'm going to try my best to get everything up before the contest ends. Either way, I should only be a few days late, at the worst. :p

Some replies, and then week eighteen. [face_dancing]

Jade_eyes: [face_laugh] That has always been my opinion on that particular plot arch as well. ;) I'm glad that you like these better. [face_love]

The-Solo-Smirk: Honestly, since she's a hard character for me, the only thing that made me want to write this was the style I used. At first it was actually in second person, along with the um, odd mental talk, and it became too much. Sure was fun to write, though. [face_laugh] Thanks for reading, as always! [:D]

Vaderlvr64: I'm glad that you enjoyed. [face_love]

dancing_star: [face_blush] Thanks so much for your thoughts!! [:D]

~MJ @};-
  12. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I SWEAR that these started out happy. They really, really did. :rolleyes:

They, um, just didn't finish that way. [face_worried]

Um, yeah . . . ;)

Week Eighteen - ?Tugging at Lost Places?

86. Red

Mara awakened coughing up blood. The droplets stained her sickly white hands, causing her stomach to turn even more. Luke came into the 'fresher with her, holding her hair back and rubbing circles on her back. The morning sunlight streaking through the window hollowly reminded her that she may not have many of those left.

Later, Luke had laced his hands through hers with something like desperation. ?It's . . . I don't . . .,? he was whispering now, his head bowed, ? . . . I've thought of my life without you, and I don't . . . I don't like it. At all . . .?

Weakly, she squeezed his hand in return.

87. Brown

Han draws into himself after Chewbacca's death.

He knows it - knows of the heavy weights it lays on Leia's shoulders, the weary guilt on Anakin . . . but it's hard to care, at times.

His wife's sepia eyes were heavy as she set to embrace him, offering him what comfort she could. He could hear her sigh when he pushed her away; could feel her eyes on him as he walked out the door. These little things he may have savored once, but now they just settled a heavy weight on him, something burdened, reverberating in the deep spaces of his grief.

88. Black

His mother wears black for months after Cherith's death.

Syal Fel has always been a strong woman ? beautiful and serene and perfectly poised, and yet now she shuffled around their home like a shade, her shoulders hunched over as if doing so could erase the sound of her lost children laughing on the wind.

He is a young man now, on the way to leading his own squadron, but still Jag stepped to the side and wrapped his arms around his mother's frame, softly giving what support he could.

Gently, her small hands fisted in his uniform, and she sighed.

89. Yellow

Tenel Ka had hated mornings since Jacen's turn.

She hated the happy yellow light, and she hated the transmission that came every time the dawn broke over the horizon with a false cheerfulness, bringing the visage of her lover, smiling a serpent's smile and asking for much while promising little.

It was hard for her to watch him in those moments, for while the man speaking to her wasn't Jacen . . . traces of him still lingered.

She tried to remind himself that she still loved him during these times, but it was getting harder and harder to lace the words together.

90. Blue

?Tell me something about my father?? Alanna asks one day.

The question comes out of nowhere; disturbing the bright song of the summer air, and the playful pattern of cotton candy clouds across the periwinkle sky. Leia frowned, nibbling her lip as she thought . . . she could tell her things, things that scarred and maybe even burned . . . but in the end she chose to close her eyes and whisper, ?He crinkled his nose when he was curious.?

She reached out softly, fingering the child's crinkled nose.

Alanna smiled, and touched the tip of Leia's nose in return. ?Just like you, too.?

~MJ @};-/>
  13. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Argh! Ouch! Those hurt, especially Red and Brown. Very touching but still :_|

14. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    Week 17: Tahiri... and Riina. It's an interesting puzzle of a person there, with both of them in the same mental space. Tahiri just wants to live, be free of this... thing that was grafted on to her. And Riina... speaking up and being kinda helpful, supporting in the end when Tahiri can only sit there and hold a hand that is broken and gone cold. Wanting was my fave, with the calm accepting that she's both one and the other.

Week 18: Echoing what Jade_eyes said about the :_| . In depth...

Red: I don't like that thought, either... and wow...

Brown: Feeling it there with Han, in the midst of a loss of a friend... maybe his first friend at that. How much would his life have differed without Chewie there? I don't ever want to find out.

Black: Jag, supporting his mom. Liked that.

Yellow: Hating the mornings because it reminds her of the Jacen that was... awesome job with Tenel Ka.

Blue: Leia, so vulnerable in that moment and looking for anything to help Allana feel closer to the father she'll now never get to know.

Good drabbles. :)
  15. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    90. Blue

?Tell me something about my father?? Alanna asks one day.

The question comes out of nowhere; disturbing the bright song of the summer air, and the playful pattern of cotton candy clouds across the periwinkle sky. Leia frowned, nibbling her lip as she thought . . . she could tell her things, things that scarred and maybe even burned . . . but in the end she chose to close her eyes and whisper, ?He crinkled his nose when he was curious.?

She reached out softly, fingering the child's crinkled nose.

Alanna smiled, and touched the tip of Leia's nose in return. ?Just like you, too.?

Bittersweet, but lovely. @};- This was my favorite. [face_love] "Red" and "Brown"- :_| Heartbreaking but very well done, and a tie for 2nd. ;)
    Wonderful job as always!! =D=[:D]
  16. The-Solo-Smirk Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Red

Later, Luke had laced his hands through hers with something like desperation. ?It's . . . I don't . . .,? he was whispering now, his head bowed, ? . . . I've thought of my life without you, and I don't . . . I don't like it. At all . . .?

Beautiful drama! Loved it! I like it when circumstances are not that easy!

Brown

He knows it - . . . but it's hard to care, at times.
    These little things he may have savored once, but now they just settled a heavy weight on him, something burdened, reverberating in the deep spaces of his grief.

Perfect. It must be difficult to characterize Han at rock bottom but you manage just fine!
    "Something burdened..." - excellent characterization!!!!

Black

Gently, her small hands fisted in his uniform, and she sighed.

You describe these supressed emotions very well!!! (see comment on "Brown")

Yellow

Excellent from start to finish! My fav of this set!

Blue

@};- Sweet! :)
  17. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8
    It's VERY difficult to pick a favorite out of this set. Though I suppose if I had to (at saber point, of course) I'd go with Red. Lovely work all around. =D=
  18. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    Alrighty, it's time to wrap this bad boy up. [face_dancing]

Jade_eyes: *hands tissue* [:D]

DaenaBenjen42: Thanks for taking the time to leave your thoughts. You know that I've enjoyed that every week more than words can say. [:D]

dancing_star: Thanks!! [:D]

the-solo-smirk: Thanks for the in depth look at those. I enjoyed your thoughts very much. :D

Vaderlvr64: At saber point, of course. ;) Thanks so much for reading. [:D]

~MJ @};-
  19. Mira_Jade The NSWFF Manager With The Cape

Manager
    star 4
    I have both weeks nineteen and twenty here.

And . . . wow, we're already done, aren't we? :(

Either way, thanks to you all for sticking with me through a very . . . interesting ride. As always, it has been a learning experience that I appreciated more than words can say. [:D]

A special thanks to Jade_eyes, DaenaBenjen42, Jade_Pilot, the-Solo-Smirk, and dancing_star for their unwavering support (through multiple rounds, too! Aren't you guys sick of me yet? ;)). And to everyone else who has taken the time to leave their thoughts, or even enjoy in passing: [:D]

You are loved so very dearly. [face_love]

Week Nineteen - ?Welling Tender and Deep?

91. Forever

The night was cool.

. . . they were on some unnamed planet for a mission that in later years will escape his mind, leaving the memory of the soothing chill of the indigo shadows, and the too bright splendor of the stars above; all combined to give the night a wistful, surreal feel.

Her hand was in his, a luxury that another time, another place would have afforded them constantly. Yet, here and now they only have until duty's call on the morning's rise. Yet, for one stolen night, Obi-wan drew her near and whispered things like forever against her lips.

92. Always

Padmé is eight months pregnant ? swollen and irritable and eating enough for twelve when she starts wondering just what kind of mess she got herself into.

?I feel like a nerf,? she mumbled into her husband's robes one evening, frowning the whole time.

A smile. A dropped kiss against her head. ?Yes, but you're a very pretty nerf.?

She rolled her eyes; clings to him, feels the whole of the heartbeats under her skin.

She's nervous, all of a sudden, looking up at him with trembling eyes. ?Love me?? she asked, ?even when I'm like this??

A softer smile. ?Always.?

93. Never

The red blooms were stark against the marble memorial. It was a small, cold thing - not properly capturing the warmth his wife had shared with him. This corner of the Academy gardens was silent in the early hours, the students staying away during his his morning rounds.

?I've missed you, Mara,? Luke whispered gently, running the back of his knuckles over the weathered engraving of a loving wife.

There was a brush of spirit blue against the back of his neck; a ghost's kiss in the flutter of the wind.

Just a little, he found the strength for another day.

94. Maybe

The mirror's reflection before her was painfully honest.

With a sigh, Leia brought her fingers up to touch the punctuated folds against the corner of her eyes, feeling the swipe of wispy silver hair against her palms. While never a woman of vanity, she was a woman nonetheless, and there were moments when she looked and felt her years most acutely.

Han came up behind her, hands on her shoulders almost playfully. ?Got a few miles on you, princess??

?Just a few.? Her smirk turned teasing. ?Still going to stick with me??

Han folded his weathered hands with hers. ?Maybe.?

95. Eternity

It was a quiet evening, filled with wounds healing, and her father's brandy broken open between them. His drink was full next to her empty glass. Yet, he felt strangely emboldened, the calm air and the heavy promises lingering between them finally forcing the words off his tongue.

?I still love you,? he whispered, the words soft like a prayer.

Jaina didn't answer - didn't answer in case her brother's battle would be her last, but she closed her hands over his with a thick sort of reverence about the motion, and maybe, just maybe, he had his answer right there.

(I had to wrap up with some good ol' Luke/Mara. It's kind of a tradition now. [face_love])

Week Twenty - ?Down and Across, Four Letters for Love?

96. Pain

The Couruscanti sun was bright against the empty roof, adding a detached sort of glow to her face as it was painted in st/>/>
  20. dancing_star Force Ghost

star 4
    99. Mine

She fusses over wearing white.

You smile a little at her ? your wife already in name, now to be paraded for the galaxy to see. While you definitely preferred the small ceremony on Yavin, this one isn't half so bad either ? deep robes of earthen tones and wildflowers in her hair traded for something almost regal, softly angelic.

Her eyes sparkle when she walks towards you, all annoyance and mischief forgotten. When your hands are bound together, hearts already long taken care of, you think that you would have married her anywhere, so long as you could call her yours.

[face_love] Beautiful. @};- I could quote every one of these back to you! Your writing is always so real and poignant. Thank you for sharing your lovely work with us- we could never get sick of you! :* Bravo and congrats for a marvelous close to the challenge!! =D=@};-[:D]
  21. divapilot Force Ghost

star 4
    Ok, long post here, so please bear with me.

Glorious. Your drabbles are complex and lyrical ? just the way I likes ?em.

Week Seventeen ? ?A Prisoner of my Own Mind

I really like how you?ve taken Tahiri and examined a part of her (no pun intended) that many writers overlook ? she is literally two people, two separate consciousnesses, in one. Too often Tahiri is written as being so damaged from Anakin?s death that she cannot, cannot move on in her life. Even if there were some uber-powerful Force bond or whatever, I never bought it that this brought the rest of her life to a screeching stop. I loved how you touched on Riina?s opinion of the issue.

Week Eighteen - ?Tugging at Lost Places?

Here?s a great examination of how the characters deal with crushing loss. The last one, with Leia and Allana, is perfect in that it jolts the pattern a little. Leia knows that the girl will see more than her share of devastating losses in the future, and wisely decides to protect the child?s innocence for a little longer.

Week Nineteen - ?Welling Tender and Deep?

I LOVE the themes and motifs you pull into this set. Each character is with the one he/she loves in a very private, secluded time. And the repetition of hands is great ? from Obi-wan and Siri?s furtive handclasp, to Luke brushing the engraving on Mara?s memorial.

Week Twenty - ?Down and Across, Four Letters for Love?

First of all: How clever is that title? :D You actually had me checking to see if the prompts were right, and yup, they fit! A lovely, sweet way to wrap it up. Favorite line:

When your hands are bound together, hearts already long taken care of, you think that you would have married her anywhere, so long as you could call her yours.

I personally think, like you, that the big wedding on Coruscant was just window dressing for PR purposes and they got married much earlier ? the Yavin wedding was the real one.

I adore that you ended it on a positive note. That?s Luke & Mara all the way ? even when the galaxy was at its worst, they represented the two things that could save it: hope and redemption.
  22. Nyota's Heart Combos & Paragraphs Host

Game Host
    star 6
    Mira -- you're like a box of chocolates.... you hate to get to the last one!!!

[face_love]
    [face_love]
    Superb and beautiful and moving and gorgeous, like duh!

:)

Bravo and huggles!!!!

P.S. Thanks to you and brodiew... you've really lit a fire under me with Spock/Nyota. Now I cannot stop even if I wanted to LOL

My next drabble round will be Trek. [face_shhh] I couldn't keep that particular secret... :) [face_dancing]

Squee! already!

23. VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus

star 8

92. Always

Padmé is eight months pregnant ? swollen and irritable and eating enough for twelve when she starts wondering just what kind of mess she got herself into.

?I feel like a nerf,? she mumbled into her husband's robes one evening, frowning the whole time.

A smile. A dropped kiss against her head. ?Yes, but you're a very pretty nerf.?

She rolled her eyes; clings to him, feels the whole of the heartbeats under her skin.

She's nervous, all of a sudden, looking up at him with trembling eyes. ?Love me?? she asked, ?even when I'm like this??

A softer smile. ?Always.?

They were all wonderful, but this one struck a chord with me since I've been there four times! :p

Lovely, as always. =D=
  24. DaenaBenjen42 Force Ghost

star 5
    through multiple rounds, too! Aren't you guys sick of me yet?

Nope! :D

Forever: Oh, liked that... *melts*

Always: Padme's time with Anakin as it should have been... loving, tender, and sweet...

Never: [face_love]

Maybe: He might have a few miles on her, but does it matter to either? Don't think so...

Eternity: Love without words, without even saying it.

Pain: It's there in the quiteness of it, this bond between them begins to form.

Hold: Mara, there to pick up the pieces, which she lightly calls 'moping', but really ran much deeper than that, and they both know it. (She does provide him a wonderful distraction, there...)

Kiss: [face_love]

Mine: Yes!!!! [face_dancing]

Life: Hope... simple, elegent, and there for the having if they let themselves.

Well done and wonderful drabbles, Mira. :)
  25. Jade_Pilot Force Ghost

star 5
    Woohoo! Congrats on your big finish. Week 15 was my all time favorite set, girl. Love the Luke factor!

Well done! =D=
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.