main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Drum roll.....Introducing the Forum Search Feature

Discussion in 'Communications' started by DarthSapient, Sep 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baylis

Baylis Jedi Youngling

Oct 1, 2002
    You're asking us if you can see it?

It worked fine for me. It found three threads with the phrase "hot ass." They all had something to do with gundark though. Peculiar.

2. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    yodaboy - that 100 users watching you screwed me up too! I want the mods to delete it or prune it so i can get better results :p

¤Night

3. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    i know man! there's so many results from that, that instead of getting the last 30 days, i get from 9/5 to 9/10! just 5 days!!!

4. Valiowk

Valiowk Chosen One star 6

Apr 23, 2000
    I noticed that there's the "search" option available on the top bar for every single[/b] page, but the Box Search option is only available on the front page of forums. Is there any way that the two functions could be combined, perhaps, since one functions on the other? This could help to take up less space.

Thanks so much, zerosleep! :D *big hug*

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  5. zerosleep

zerosleep Former IGN Slacker star 2 VIP

Jun 27, 2000
    Yes, the search does use an index (SQL Server's Full Text Indexing). It's updated 3 times a day. Hopefully this will be increased as they dedicate more hardware to it -- but i'm doubtful.

6. dArTh_wenley

dArTh_wenley Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 10, 2001
    Would it be possible to search our posts?

7. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Would it be possible to search our Private Messages?

8. zerosleep

zerosleep Former IGN Slacker star 2 VIP

Jun 27, 2000
    Possible on both, just not part of the current feature set.

9. LittleJedi

LittleJedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    w00t!! :D :D A proper search feature - finally! :D

THANK YOU ZEROSLEEP!!! :D :D

..and i looked for my Username second actually. ;)

LittleJedi

10. DarthSapient

DarthSapient Jedi Youngling star 10

Jun 26, 2001
    Well, keep in mind that it's also a fantastic moderating tool. Everyday I now check the major curse words to see if they've been posted overnight in the forums I moderate. It helped me identify one of the biggies written by someone on this very page. ;)

11. eclipseSD

eclipseSD Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    Will the alltheweb.com search feature still be available for searching older threads?

12. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    Zerosleep, you're a gem!

Bout time as well :D :)

13. darthcleo

darthcleo Administrator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 8, 2000
    >>I thought we used to have a search feature which Darthcleo had disabled, due to the load it put on the server.
    <<

That was when we were still UBB

14. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Edit: Never mind. This is probably better suited for PM.

15. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    The search feature Snowboard had was only a user search - it was just more extensive (we could look for names, email, job titles, etc.)

How can we search for words that are in bold or colored or whatever? I can't seem to find any of those.

GO 'CLONES!

16. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    up
    (Good poster I am, am I not? upping this old thread instead of creating a whole new one! that's good, isn't it? ;))

About the search feature...
    I was bored and entered the bad f-word.
    I got results, of course. But no actual posts that had the word in it (except of one of the Nordic Countries FanForce boards where it seems to be an actual word).
    As we all know, if it finds the searched word in a post, it gives us the link and a small excerpt of the post, with the word highlighted in yellow.
    From day one I wondered what the posts were, which were listed in the search result, but only the link, without an excerpt and the highlighted word. I thought it was an error. Now I wanted to find out and klicked on one of the excerpt-less links. I found a post edited by a mod containing not the f-word, but a warning about swearing.
    So, this means the search feature knows what was edited out.
    How is that possible? Can Mods/Managers/Admins view what has been edited?
    If not, wouldn't it be possible to program that (possible to do, not likely to be done; the zerosleep-thing)?

It would help gathering proof for edited flames (as mentioned in this) and such, if it ever came into being, would it not?

Mainly, I'm just curious: The JC saves what's been edited?

17. Confused

Confused Jedi Youngling

Nov 5, 2002
    I like this feature. I searched for a username of mine and found that for some reason I was being heavily discussed in the Mod Squad. I can't wait until a certain you know who is able to show me those posts. ;)

18. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Yeah, it's quite nice to be able to get a kind of 'glimpse' into the private forums [face_mischief] ;)

Does no one of the colored ones know the answer to my 3-day-old-question up there? ?[face_plain] If not, then at least say so, I can't sleep because it troubles me! :_|

19. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    Sorry, missed this last night.

While the server keeps a record of what was in a post, we can't actually bring it up on the screen. We can't look at what was there before an edit any more than you can.

As for it being able to be used in the cases of editting out flames, it could be possible, especially if you had the exact wording of the flame saved. But it would be very rare that it could be used.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.