main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Drumming some life into RPG/Minis--- Banner Update Time

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    How about if we did a thread for each one: Gear (weapons/armour/supplies), Vehicles (starship/ground/air), People & Droids (random characters and canon characters not covered by the sourcebooks), then fears, force powers and so on.

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Rogue_Thunder has the idea; As RPG-ers we have to have some sort of creativity, but this isn't really being shared on this forum right now. The social thread is the busiest thread pretty much, very little that's created for the benefit of the game is being talked about.

3. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    fears=feats [face_blush]

4. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    Now that I've got a bit more time to expand on my ideas, this (above) is generally what I meant.

I think of the above thread suggestions, it's important the feats / force powers one doesn't grow to the dereliction of the house rules thread which already exists.

The thing to remember also is that rather than just purely homebrewed stats, it'd be advantageous to have 'modified' item stats. How have your party pimped their ride? What weapon mod gave you the capability of taking out the crime lord who killed your characters' family?

5. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    So now that we're all on the same page, what are the chances that we can create the threads and have them stickied? That way they're all together and easy to find, and we're only talking about 4 or 5 threads tops, and the Lit forum has more stickies than that at any given time.

6. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Personally I don't like having more than one or two threads stickied in a forum. But we could create an index listing all of them and put it in one sticky. That would just leave us with two stickies. Forum will look neater and we could use the index for other threads too.

7. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    hmmm... maybe we should combine all the threads I've been making about WEG d6 books into a single thread?
    Less filling, tastes great?

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    remember when we had that create-a-npc contest? I can't find the link, but I won. Wasn't much participation, but I liked it.

9. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    How about a challenge thread? One person picks a character to challenge other people to create, either from canon or something of their own creation. The best, or most efficient build (or whatever criteria the challenger lays down i.e. most damage dealt in a round, etc.) is the winner, and then the winner gets to lay down the next challenge and so on.

Also, how about a request line? Say a GM has a game to run next week, they need stats badly, but they're too busy writing up the campaign, and these stats aren't covered in the book (ie Luke Skywalker stats, circa Fate of the Jedi era). If any of the other posters has the time or the will they can whip up the stats.

10. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I like both of those ideas, myself.
    There was a great build for a batman-esque character (in SW universe) a while back.

11. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    I don't think the problem is ideas, we are gamers after all and I'm sure we have plenty of awesome ones. I think we're just lazy and waiting for the other person to do something :p

12. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah notice how no one had created any of those threads yet? I have an excuse though, between my CR duties, the game I run (which I just realized I haven't posted on in a week [face_plain] ) and world of warcraft I have about 5 minutes a day to check these boards. :p

Now I have to go find time for my game, before a meeting at in a little over an hour.

13. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I've been hoping that people would create the threads they are suggesting. I don't know enough about the RPG stuff to run the contests or start a thread on it, but would support someone else going for it. Maybe I should just go pick up some RPG books and read up in my spare time too :p

14. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    It's a fun hobby, and doesn't cost much more than mini's (might be cheaper in fact), plus it doesn't take much longer than 2 or 3 high-point mini's games. Try it one of those games nights, and all ya need is the core rulebook. Post on your fanforce and you can probably find someone who knows how to play these things to run it for you.

15. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I've played it once before, with the last set of rules. Sadly my FF is so tiny that I know no one it does RPG. Though, I do have a couple friends who play online, maybe I'll try to sit in on one of their sessions or something like that. My issue is time as well. Between my TFN stuff, minis, work, and the classes I'm taking there's not a lot of extra time.

16. Imperial_Hammer

Imperial_Hammer Manager Emeritus: RPFs star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 25, 2004
    Hola RPGers!

If you guys decide to put up the "build an NPC" contest, can we RPFers play too? [face_batting]

My writers are aching for contests, and I just haven't had the focus to put one up yet...

Plus the idea of characters is something that hadn't dawned on me for whatever reason...

Do you LARP/Mini folk write up characters via sheets and such?

-I_H

17. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    More the merrier IMO. Once we get it moving that is. I'm on spring break this coming week, I'll see if I can research enough to write a contest up :)

Minis people occasionally will write up stats for custom figs but we don't use character sheets. Generally we take an existing mini's stats and adjust.

18. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    First "contest" thread is up.
    Build character challenge thread.
    I openned the challenge with stat's for a Green Lantern. Winner gets to pick the next character for someone to try to build.

19. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Well, talked to my FF/Minis group and I think we're going to try out the RPG this summer. Here goes nothing :p

20. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Awesome news. If some people back out before then and you still want to keep your numbers up, then check the bulletin board at your gaming store. There might be someone looking for a gaming group, or you can post that you're looking for players.

If you're worried about bringing strangers in, then either host the first game at the gaming shop, or a coffee shop, or meet up with the person a few times beforehand as a group for movies, or whatever.

21. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    Do you have a GM or anyone who has played before?

22. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    To start we're going to be invite only. Hothie and I want to get the hang of things before we start adding strangers or people we're luke-warm about (or trying to all out avoid). We're going to start playing at our place so we can control who is welcome, but may move to our local store later.

I'm the only one in the group who has ever played before so I get to be GM for a while. We'll learn together :p

23. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    what system?

24. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Newest one, the Saga. That's what all the new source material is for at the moment.

25. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I think the big problem is the general lull in the market. 1987-1995 saw a massive upsurge in RPGs in general. Lots of major games got overhauls (D&D 2nd Ed, SW 2nd Ed) while independant companies provided tons of new game systems.
    But, seems like something happened in the late 90s... Guess a bunch of us graduated from collage... but games fell flat. Indie companies folded. Interest wained.
    D&D 3.0 and 3.5 brought minor upswings, but it was no where near what it had been.

RPGs, once a major source of revenue at the local hobbie shop, occupying 3 aisles, now have 3 shelves and a display case for miniatures.

Oh, for the days when those aisles will be filled with RPG books again...
    When finding a gaming group was as easy as walking onto a school--any school--and looking for the flyers.
    Maybe the upsurge will come again...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.