main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Drumming some life into RPG/Minis--- Banner Update Time

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi_Dajuan, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rogue_Thunder

Rogue_Thunder FanForce CR, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada star 6

Jan 7, 2003
    They used to say that it was Magic: The Gathering that pulled interest away from RPG's, but M:tG has kinda waned, but interest hasn't really picked back up in RPG's. Maybe it's the availability of computers and consoles and the massive amount of CRPG's and games like WoW, which I know has pulled me away from RPG's quite a bit, even slowing down my posting in my online game.

2. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    It's Bioware's fault! [face_whistling]

Just kidding, but I agree, definitely the increased power of computer consoles which has led to pen & paper dying off.

3. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Anyone need any maps? I'm playing with creating them and finding them interesting

4. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Gabe from Penny Arcade has just gotten into D&D and DMing, and has been experimenting with 3d terrain maps for his games. Some cool stuff there and some good ideas for your own games. Check out the archives for the past month or so and you'll see what he's been using.

5. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, the create/build a character contest has been a total flub. Perhaps someone else can start that ball moving.
    Anyone have other ideas for upping the flow of information?

6. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    because you choose something weird, Green Lantern. I don't know how you would do that in d6 or d20 or anything but Mutants and Masterminds, and there's already tons done for that system

And I don't really like working on stats unless I could possibly use it someday

How about a generic "Build a villain/creature/race (for SW)" Stats and background. I'd participate

7. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Well, feel free to take over.
    Yeah, it probablly was a goofy choice. I did change it to something else. Not sure anyone noticed.

8. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Hmmm... Seems like not just this forum, but a large amount of TF.N is quieter these days. finals approaching?

9. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    I dunno, but fanforce's all over the place are just dying off lately. :(

Think there'd still be interest all over with the animated series...

10. Jedi_Dajuan

Jedi_Dajuan Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 30, 2002
    Yeah, we've been on a slow spiral downward for a while. I think people are just prequel-ed out.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Maybe if the live-action TV show ever pans out, and is written by someone competent, life would return.
    Heck, I'd settle for a decent cartoon of the X-Wing novels...

12. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I haven't been around for on the boards as a whole for many reasons. I haven't been on this board much because i don't know anyone who plays star wars. I also don't want to start buying rule books just to make stats and read stats. The sourcebooks are still cool, but they are expensive.

13. Rogue_Thunder

Jan 7, 2003
    Yeah I'll agree with you there... I'm about 4 sourcebooks behind because I wasn't working until just recently, not getting caught up is going to be painful.

14. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I've become a bit disillusioned with Saga which is why I haven't posted much. I'm nuts about Jedi but I haven't even plumped for the latest sourcebook. In my opinion the system's (weirdly) become too much like the KOTOR game and overly complicated AT THE SAME TIME.

How it's happened, I don't know!

15. FlareStorm

Nov 13, 2000
    We need an edition war thread. That will get some posts [face_peace]

16. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    I've been thinking about a new banner for us. Something that encompasses the Saga Edition, Minis, the older SW RPG books, stuff like that. I can't create banners myself so I'm going to have to ask someone or a couple someones to create some banners for us. Any requests, suggestions, volunteers? I'd rather someone in this forum create the banner since we'll be the ones seeing it daily, but if no one can or wants to I'll "hire out." If we do hire out, suggestions and graphics to send that person would be great help.

17. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I'd be interested in giving it a go. Can you give us the specs? Xpixels by Ypixels type of thing? Prefered file format, etc.

18. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    Sorry, been meaning to post this for a bit. All of the banner making info can be found here. I prefer JPEGs but, GIFs would be ok as well.

EDIT: If you don't want to make a style-sheet (the forum colors) I can do that. You don't have to make the banner match the current color scheme.

19. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    When you've finished, try a trial version of Adobe Illustrator, that has some nice saving options to get image size down whilst maintaining picture quality. I just wish I had the money to spare for the full version.

20. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Buy CorelDraw suite. Better drawing interface (way, way, wayyyyyy better than Illustrator), comparable software, far cheaper.

21. Jedi_Matt

Jul 11, 2002
    I thought you had the Corel apps, I slightly remembered you posting a bit of a rant when you had a problem upgrading. So is it pretty much the same thing? I'll have to look into it

22. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    You remember correctly. that was my smart-a$$ suggestion to your wish for full version of adobe.
    CorelSuite: $300-500
    Adobe packages: $1000-2500

CorelDraw way better than illustrator.
    Photopaint & Photoshop about equal
    RAVE sucks compared to Flash, but do you need it?
    no aftereffects, but haven't needed it.
    no dreamweaver, but if you type your own code, you don't need that either. Heck just get an old copy of Macromedia MX suite, and that solves that and flash.
    And you still have $1000 or so to buy the programs you do want.

23. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    What about The Gimp?

24. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    I hear it's great if you're on a linux platform. My understanding is that it is on par with photoshop, but it isn't a vector-art program.

25. Jedi_Dajuan

Dec 30, 2002
    What are people's thoughts on having some "official" threads for each RPG series? For example, have a Saga thread, a d20 thread, a d6/WEG thread, etc. Would that be over kill or something useful? We'd keep the GM hotline for general GMing questions, but have the threads for issues specific to those platforms. I'd like to see us talk about the new RPG books as they come out, but I don't know if enough of us use the newer books to make that feasible. I'll talk to Lit and see what they do with their RPG threads and see if they'll give us a link.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.