main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DTJ'S Real Time Review!!!!!

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DarthToeJam, May 5, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    So the pics of conflicted Anakin and crying Anakin are BEFORE he killed Mace. He's crying because he might lose Padme, not because he has become Darth Vader!

Hurrah! As Darth Vader, he does NOT cry! He's the cool killing-machine. It's Anakin who's teary.

2. Jumpman

Jumpman Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 12, 2003
    Bingo dehrian...it's all about obtaining that power to save power...but that power consumes him even as he goes along....

3. Hudson1138

Hudson1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 7, 2005
    DTJ please please please please please answer my question please!

how does the I HATE YOU line sound?

is anakin burning up a scene where the audience sorta just starred jaw dropped thinking omg.

4. Star_Wars_Freak_2006

Star_Wars_Freak_2006 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2004
    How is the Separatist slaughter portrayed? Do they get to speak with Anakin before he kills them, like in the novel? (San Hill greeting him, etc.) Is there much screaming and gnashing of teeth? Muah ha ha...I hope so.

5. Padawan_Lamer

Padawan_Lamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    The turn sounds really good to me. It should be difficult. He should be conflicted. It seems like there is a war within him between Anakin and Darth Vader. And Vader wins until ROTJ.

6. Hudson1138

Hudson1138 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 7, 2005
    DTJ please please please please please answer my question please!

how does the I HATE YOU line sound?

is anakin burning up a scene where the audience sorta just starred jaw dropped thinking omg.

7. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Anakin anger has always been an issue look at Anakin in Episode 1 how he gives an angry look to Mace.

8. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    Well forever_jedi, there's still that small scene on the Mustafar balcony where he sheds a tear...granted, he could've revert back to Anakin...but I always saw it as both Anakin and Vader in that moment...

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    So the pics of conflicted Anakin and crying Anakin are BEFORE he killed Mace. He's crying because he might lose Padme, not because he has become Darth Vader!

Hurrah! As Darth Vader, he does NOT cry! He's the cool killing-machine. It's Anakin who's teary.

I don't believe so. The latest TV Spot at the OS shows Anakin crying at two different times. One clearly is when he is in the Jedi Temple (hence, its probally right before he goes off to meet Mace and Palpatine) and the other seems to be on Mustafar.

10. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Interesting.

11. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    He's regretful one moment and killing Jedi a few minutes later.

Obviously, I am not not as much of a position to comment at this point as you have seen the film and I have not. But The idea is with the whole issue of his turn, that he ultimatly chooses the darkside to find the powers to save Padme. I believe there is even one point in the script wher Sidious says that killing the jedi is the only way he and Anakin will find the power to stop death together, or some such line. Maybe that was cut from the film. But that is the idea. He doesn't just kill a bunch of jedi, simply to kill a bunch of jedi to act evil. He does it for Padme. Sidious keeps promising him the powers he wants if only he does what he wants him to do. That is the tragedy of it all.

OK, soory. This is your thread DTJ. I will leave the stage to you again. ;) :p

12. Padawan_Lamer

Padawan_Lamer Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 2002
    How is the Separatist slaughter portrayed? Do they get to speak with Anakin before he kills them, like in the novel?

Are there bad puns in this scene?

13. jvberggren

jvberggren Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 8, 2004
    He should be conflicted

agreed! that makes the betrayel even more powerful.

14. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    When Anakin kneels before Sidious, he's breathing hard and still in shock about what he's done. The build up -- all the talk about saving Padme from dying, Palps seduction speeches, etc -- prepares you for this moment and you BUY that Anakin WOULD TURN, but I did crave just a slightly clearer line that he is now convinced he's got to kill everyone.

Sorry I'm taking so long to write my thoughts, but my minds literally buzzing about the movie -- and I'm feeding my daughter dinner. Daddy duty doesn't wait for chats.

15. Jedi_Interceptor

Jedi_Interceptor Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 14, 2005
    erikmclean101 just posted this in the other review thread:

The way in which Anakin is pulled over to the Dark Side is totally convincing. I mean, he's supposed to evolve into one of the greatest screen villains of all time, and the process works. You believe the way he was tricked, and how tragic it becomes.

Amazing how people can come to such radically different interpretations of the same scene. But this doesn't matter because, in three years, the bashers will have convinced everyone that it sucked. That is our destiny.

16. Starwars_1977-1983

Starwars_1977-1983 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2004
    I think the turn might well be very interesting, touching and human the way it is handled. In my head, it works without too much rationalization.

-Hey, can Anakin switch yellow eyes on/off at will ? He doesn't have them when Padme comes to mustafar ? And he has them when he is on the lava bank.

How many times do his eyes become yellow, and when does it happen ?

17. Jumpman

Sep 12, 2003
    Right...confliction is better. Basically with this film, Lucas has really humanzied Vader and made his turn tragic and sad because of his confliction....which I like..

18. arthurclavin2

arthurclavin2 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 27, 2003
    How's GL's overall cinematographic style?

Are there any major deviations from what we're used to? Does he go for any abstract visual schemes as seen during the Anakin-Dooku spar in AOTC?

AC2

19. Darth Tall

Darth Tall Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2000
    From the way it's described it sounds okay to me. After siding with Sidious Anakin can't go back and is committed to the path of the dark side. I guess if there was a clear cut good to bad change it would dimish it in a way.

20. AnakinBrego

AnakinBrego Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 15, 2004
    Maybe there is no clear, he's evli now moment, because he was suduced to the Dark Side, not inherently evil like Maul or Palpatine, look at the good in Anakin as a child!

21. forever_jedi

forever_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 5, 2002
    I see - thanks people. I had completely missed that Mustafar crying Vader pic. I have only seen Temple crying Anakin!

22. DarthToeJam

DarthToeJam Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 28, 2002
    Quick answers:

The " I hate you" is great. The whole speech by Ewan just rocks. You really feel his pain that it has all come to this.

The lava surfing looked surprisingly good. The rope swinging as well. The entire duel is handled REALLY REALLY well.

Anakin does shed one tear in the pensive scene right before the Mace duel.

23. Pixel-Pusher

Pixel-Pusher Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 20, 2005
    Just a thought...Alot of fans talked about the "twist" Is there going to be a twist? In a way, it sounds like the whole movie IS the twist when it comes to everyday moviegoers. DTJ, did you get the impression that the casual viewer will be shocked?

24. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    Hi DarthToeJam,

Thanks for the realtime review stuff, it's great.

I have two easy questions:

The Mace/Sidious scene - did it seem like this part was edited in such a way as to make Mace look very powerful, so as "not to go out like a punk"? Some people have suggested that Samual Jackson got George Lucas to edit certain parts that might make Mace Windu appear weak or "punkish". Do you get that impression, in hindsight?

Also, what did you think of Greivous?

25. Deeysew

Deeysew Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 5, 2005
    I think you were just called a basher, man. Oh and how is Bail's good relations with the jedi portrayed? Is it because of the battle for Naboo that he strives to protect them fromt the Empire?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.