main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DT's FreedomCon

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Oct 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wraith_009

Wraith_009 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    Ok what TJ Holman wrote isn't representative of all of decktech. In fact that's essentially a "Ghetto Squad" thing. Onto another thing, DT accepting the support of WOTC isn't a bad thing, in fact it will probably help make the transition easier. Neal Razi on of the webmasters of Dt has said that WOTC will be there taking suggestions n such from the players at freedomcon pertaining to what they'd like for the new game/ improvements ect and apparently some of the high ranked players have been contacted by WOTC to help out. I'm sorry folks but it's game over.

2. __Mawhonic__

__Mawhonic__ Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Has anyone noticed, that if you switch the first letter of Neal Razi's first name and last name, what you get?

Think about it..... nEAL rAZI.

Which, switches to REAL NAZI. Funny huh?

Anyway, on the whole thing. Damn straight its a good idea DeckTech is running the tourney. One, the prize support goes to the victims, two, it gives players a GREAT place to play games {which keeps kids outta trouble}. And there will be more then just SW, like at DecipherCon. There will be SW, ST, JK, YJ, Lords of the Ring, L5R, DBZ, Raw Deal, Warlords, etc.

Its great! =)

3. BigPoppaJabba

BigPoppaJabba Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 4, 2001
    I just posted this on Decktech, under the section where they invite comments about Shannon visiting FreedomCon:

"I wonder if Shannon will still want to come after the comments TJ Holman put in her guestbook?

Feel ashamed of yourselves DT."

I wonder if they'll still have the guts to keep the message there.

I am also posting on the guedtbook urging Shannon to boycott the event as a result of the comments.

EDIT: What I wrote:
    "You can see from a couple of posts down what certain individuals at DeckTech think of Shannon. So why the hell is she still going to FreedomCon?

Boycott the event. Nothing to do with the fact that DT is killing the CCG, but because of the comments addressed to you.

DT was so annoyed when Decipher cancelled DecipherConj. Well cancel Shannon's appearance at FreedomCon, and let the world know why. See how annoyed everyone is then."

4. Red84

Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games) star 4 VIP

Oct 20, 2000
    Okay, Wraith I disagree-sorta. What Holman typed may not be representative of DT, but it does *reflect* negatively on their image; just like anything I say to players reflects on Decipher; just like anything a U.S. Cabinet member says reflects in a President, etc. etc. DT should know who they have working for them and should know better than to let their people type such things. And being that so many players DO read their site means that they are a negative influence on the community and therefore a bad representative of the game. Decipher should have nipped the DT disease in the bud while they were trying to do their DPCs. Regardless, people WILL read what Holman typed and immediately assume that DT is run by similar people.

Oh, and *should* wotc EVER receive the licence (and that's still a HUGE "IF"), watch how fast they lose the "friendly customer rep" attitude...and watch how fast DT gets kicked to the curb. In fact I would go so far as to say that IF Decipher does not get their licemce renewed for Ep2 then players will NOT support a whole new SW game. There are plenty of cards out there to keep the SWCCG going for some time.

5. MaceWindu73

MaceWindu73 Jedi Youngling

Aug 29, 2001
    So Red84, are you saying that Decipher's going to keep the game?

6. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    That doesn't make sense. Baksa is going to FreedomCon, it was posted on their site Monday. Why would Holman make such stupid comments on Tuesday? Baksa's guestbook doesn't validate name or email -- anyone could have left that message.

7. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    In order to understand if it makes sense, you have to understand TJ Holman. Trust me, he made those comments. Even if he didn't post it there, he has said the same thing elsewhere. He has a foul mouth and a negative attitude towards everyone.

8. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Hmmm, well I'd assume they would ;)

But I think what you meant to ask was "Do you think Decipher will get to keep the game?" That I don't know because I'm not at LFL. But rest assured, if I was, Decipher would have it and this licence thing would NEVER be an issue ;)

And just to fill you all in on the type of people that support DT: I am now a "suspect" in the "Who posted that to Shannon's guestbook" mystery because they didn't like what I had to say on their site. Go figure..

Here's a few other inconsistencies I noted:

- The frame on their site reads "FreedomCon - United We Stand". That alone is a source of great amusement.

- That flyer on their site is still blatantly using the term World Championship and says "FreedomCon is not supported by a large corporation..." Really...then what's wotc? ;)

9. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    The Baksa saga continues....

I went to Holman's DeckTech member site. Yeah, it reads just like his post to Baksa's guestbook.

I sent an email to her webmaster, who replied to me that they were aware of the offensive post, but wanted to keep the comments on the website while she gets a RESTRAINING ORDER against whoever posted it.

Now, her guestbook is offline while certain "issues" are addressed.

It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

10. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Hey cool! That means I must be a suspect to because I brought the topic up on DT too!

On another issue: I made a statement oin the listesrve that I'll repeat here:

"When/ if Decipher renews the lisence, will all the "I hate Decipher" people become "I love Decipher" people and still collect the game?

Hmmmm.

11. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Exactly..will be intersting to see what kind of action Deciphr takes then.

12. BigPoppaJabba

Jun 4, 2001
    Hey Red84, can I have a link to what you said on DT. I can't find it.

13. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Here were my comments as I saw fit. People her are of course free to agree or disagree, but that don't lose sight of the fact that Deciher has done their damndest to give us the best game they possibly can and they should be given the oppurtunity to continue. I encourage you all to see how DT supporters show their appreciation. One comment by a "Black 7" (towards the top) comes to mind. Another interesting post (just after my first post) was from a guy called "the insider". I don't know how much of it is actually true, but it certainly does tip the balances back to the center..

14. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    By the way, David Akers of DeckTech says he does not know whether Holman left those comments or not, since that is not Holman's email address. Of course, whether he posted that or not, he has the same type of comments on his DeckTech member page, which does have controls in place. WARNING: his member page is as vile as the stuff posted to Shannon's guestbook.

15. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Yep, they're still there.

Okay, for those of you that haven't already heard, I have become a bit more active in my fight against the people who run DeckTech. I've been pretty much silent the last couple of years until recently. And then they dealt the latest dirty low blow: They accepted prizes (worth thousands of dollars) donated by the Star Wars Fan Club which is run by wotc. This I strongly feel was very disrespectful of Decipher, and imo, was another cheap attempt by both DT and wotc to put Decipher in an even worse light in front of their players.

And so I posted my feelings on their site and (not suprisingly) a flame war directed at me ensued. There are some who may question my wisdom of even posting to their site, but I'm sick of the people who run DT being allowed to think that they can do whatever they please like they own the games themselves. And now they've turned my own *personal* feelings into a way to try and to hurt my reputation.

Maybe Yoda is frowning on my decision. Regardless, I want it known to ALL the players everywhere (including here), that my *personal* opinion of DT does NOT mean that I look down on *anyone* who goes to their site for deck ideas or strategy--even I've been there to get decks for new players--or that I am attempting to speak for or represent the feelings and thoughts of the SWCCG player community and/or Squadron Members. My personal opinions are just that, mine. If you or anyone agree(s), great. If not, that's fine too. I do not get my impression of a person soley because they go to a website for a deck idea. That's just dumb.

Furthermore, I also want it known that I do NOT look down or scowl at anyone who is choosing to go down to DT's event next weekend. I understand that there will be many skillful players in attendance and that that is one of the reasons players are trekking there. Whatever the case may be, I fully respect ANY player's decision to play where they feel they can get the most out of this game.

I only want the best for this game and sometimes my passion for that is misunderstood. Of course I urge all players to support their local events, but I ALSO urge all players to play in the environment that makes them the most comfortable and is the most practical for them at that time. I will ALWAYS respect that decision which is why I have no problem telling the players who *are* heading down to VA next weekend "Good luck, have fun, be safe, and represent your region well".

Thanks for listening and I hope that no one has gotten any wrong signals about me or my intentions.

16. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I'm on your side. I am a fairly active DT member, but I believe they have gone too far with this now. They are trying to make WotC gain the contract. I intend to post an article about that as soon as I get a response to a message I sent to a DeckTech administrator if I don't like his answer.

17. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    You have my support!

18. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    I've posted my own comments on the issue to the same discussion board.

19. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Yes, I saw them. I just hope that they don't start accusing you of what they are accusing me :(

20. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Check out Shannon Baksa's webpage. She's cancelled FreedomCon.

21. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Where does it say that? I'm just seeing that she's attending an Aussie con next year (which is awesome for them :D).

Or is it because FreedomCon is no longer on the schedule that you're assuming she cancelled? I wouldn't know. I didn't look at her events schedule till now :)

22. Wraith_009

Wraith_009 Jedi Youngling

Jan 7, 2001
    I personally think you're totally wrong with your posts on DT Red84, and they are only causing trouble. But it's your opinion..although somewhat forced cause of your whole being SM therefore being a Decipher yes man.

23. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Nope. The opinion and comments I posted would have been posted if I had the "Squadron Member" title or not. They are my opinion as a player and as a tournament director. And I've disagreed with Decipher before.

24. __Mawhonic__

__Mawhonic__ Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    One: TJ did not make that post. Why? Because I have known him for the past 3 years. Yes, he makes those comments. But when he makes them, he makes them to the person's face. He is not, dare I say it, a Pu%_Y. He will say it to her face. He doesn't care who she is, he will say it to her face. He won't hide behind DT to do it. In fact, he barely even likes DT, he only likes it cuz its a way for him to yell at the idiots of the world. If you knew anything about him, you'd understand this. BigPoppa, you do not know TJ. Were you ever a part of Team NEON or Team GHETTO? Oh what, your not? Then guess what, you don't know him. Has he played at your card store? Oh what, he hasn't? Then guess what, you don't know him.

Yes, he makes fun of a few people, but in the majority, those people have it coming to them. Look at Shannon, the day she signed that contract, her career was over. Simple as that. Look at the other SW Actors. Ford was the only one to make it big afterwards. With Carrie and Hamil only getting appearences because they were famous.

Also, DT running FreedomCon is great. Why? Because WotC under the guise of The StarWars FanClub is SPECIFICIALLY sending over 3 thousand dollars worth of prize support and other "goodies". So whats this tell us? Oh yea, Big D's lost the game.

And, Red 84, by saying "stay behind Decipher, screw DT." WHY? Whats so bad about DeckTech running their own Con? Is it because the money goes to a good cause {the Red Cross and Firemen Assosiaction and Victims of the Tragedy}. Is that why?

Or is it because you don't want anyone to have a great time because this could possibly be the greatest con ever?

Or is it because your a suck-up to Decipher?

Really, Decipher doesn't give a crap about StarWars anymore. Look at their listserv, any of their officials hardly respond on it. Look at the Ref3 set, yes its a really good set, but look at the TONS and TONS of typos on it {big example, look at the Defensive Shield called Do or Do Not}.

And lets see, Big D, even came out and made 2 Magic conseptions, in StarWars {sideboard, which is Defensive Shields, and Upkeep, which in StarWars is maintence.}

How can you honestly back up Decipher now?

They through all their workers from StarWars and put them into Lord of the Rings, which is a TERRIBLE game.

Also, Decipher doesn't even listen to their Playtesters anymore, if they want the card made, its made.

So, how can you back up Decipher now?

And why not go to FreedomCon?

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

25. Red84

Oct 20, 2000
    Is it because the money goes to a good cause {the Red Cross and Firemen Assosiaction and Victims of the Tragedy}. Is that why?

Oh yeah, that's it.. [rolling eyes] Ted Turner once donated a million dollars to a charity. Does that make him any less of a jerk?

Or is it because you don't want anyone to have a great time because this could possibly be the greatest con ever?

I've never had any problems with players having fun playing the CCGs. The rest is just your opinion.

Or is it because your a suck-up to Decipher?

No more than you are for Decktech.

Really, Decipher doesn't give a crap about Star Wars anymore. Look at their listserv, any of their officials hardly respond on it. Look at the Ref3 set, yes its a really good set, but look at the TONS and TONS of typos on it {big example, look at the Defensive Shield called Do or Do Not}.

Just like you know TJ better than any of us, I know Decipher better than the average player, and that includes you. I talk to them everyday. Believe me, Star Wars is a game that they love just as much as any of their others. They recognize what Star Wars is and that the game put them on the map. Do you think LFL would have let them make the game this long if they showed any other kind of attitude? The rest of your argument is just you reaching for reasons to be anti-Decipher. Typos: Right, there's a good reason to trod all over a company. And I'd like to know why if there are "TONS and TONS" I never saw them. So, what, you open a pack and the first thing you look for are typos?

And lets see, Big D, even came out and made 2 Magic conseptions, in StarWars {sideboard, which is Defensive Shields, and Upkeep, which in StarWars is maintence.}

Ah yes, the classic "Magic is the Creator of every game mechanic known to CCGs" argument. Please. Yes, I suppose every game mechanic is a spinoff of another similar game mechanic from a game that took a similar concept from another game and so on. And if it were a carbon copy, wotc would have had Decipher in court months ago. Afterall, "Legal Maneuvers" is wotc's favorite non-unique Interrupt to play.

How can you honestly back up Decipher now?

The same way I have since I started playing this game in 1995: buy their product and eagerly anticipate the next one.

They through all their workers from StarWars and put them into Lord of the Rings, which is a TERRIBLE game.

And why is LOTR a "terrible game"? (Answer that in the LOTR thread though, not here.)

Also, Decipher doesn't even listen to their Playtesters anymore, if they want the card made, its made.

I suggest you look up the words "fact" and "conjecture".

So, how can you back up Decipher now?

Answered this one already

And why not go to FreedomCon?

Yes, why not. Go ahead and go. It's not FreedomCon I have a problem with. It's DeckTech and their reasons behind holding the event I take issue with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.