main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

?? Dual Monitors for AE ??

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by ASOULAN, Sep 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ASOULAN

ASOULAN Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 10, 2005

Hey all...

I'm looking to set up a second monitor for AE 6.5 pro, one for the workspace and one for the preview / composition window. I've seen that some of you have this setup, but I can't find any good info on how to set this up.

Any advice?

Thanks in advance....

2. -Spiff-

-Spiff- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2005
    Get a video card with two monitor outputs, plug one monitor into one output, the other monitor in the other output, and then configure the display settings with the video card driver. Simple as that.

-Spiff

3. ASOULAN

Jun 10, 2005

Cool...thanks much

*EDIT
    Hmmm...not sure on this one (and the manual is no help at all...)

She's got a VGA output which I'm using right now, plus an S-video in/out plus a DVI-I plug as well. Not sure what to make of this.

Anyone familiar with Radeon cards (X700 pro specificly) who could help walk me through this ?

In forum or PM is okay....

Thanks again...

4. JoeyH

JoeyH Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 14, 2004
    Wait a tic. Spiff, are you saying that I could plug a monitor into the motherboard's onboard video, and one into my Radeon? If that's the case...I didn't need the Radeon, because I got it with a video-out jack so I could hook up a TV for watching video files and such.

I didn't know that onboard video and cards could work together. Or am I misreading your post?

5. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    You should have a dvi-vga adaptor that came with the card, use that to connect your second monitor to the DVI port.

I didn't know that onboard video and cards could work together. Or am I misreading your post?

I think so. Even if you aren't,... you can't do that.

6. -Spiff-

Jun 9, 2005
    My monitor has two video outputs - one DVI and one analog. Some video cards have two DVIs, some have two analogs. If you don't have a DVI monitor, you can get a DVI->analog adaptor for a few bucks (my video card came with one) to plug a second analog monitor into.

Whether two video cards will work together, or a motherboard video port and a video card will work will be subject to drivers and compatability. You may have to do a little experimentation, and it may or may not work even with that.

Some super-cheap OEM video cards that ship with cheap computers typically don't offer such features... so it's up in the air as to whether it will work or not. Without a full hardware listing including model numbers and driver versions it would be impossible for anyone to guess if it would work... but with the proper hardware it's usually simple and painless. If you have a setup that works - keep it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

-Spiff

7. ASOULAN

Jun 10, 2005

Outstanding, gentlemen....second monitor is up and running.

Now for the AE part...

Where should I start tinkering in the AE program to determine which windows go to which monitor ?

*ED spelling

8. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    I'd start by enlarging your workspace so it spans both monitors then simply move the windows around until you like what you see. :) It's not as easy as in Combustion but should give the same results.

Just a few thoughts. ;)

9. ASOULAN

Jun 10, 2005

Well, ATM both monitors are showing exactly the same. Move one and it moves both. Maybe I'm just missing what you're saying.

10. -Spiff-

Jun 9, 2005
    Right now your monitors are working in what's called a "clone" mode. You need to go into the video driver settings and configure it for a "horizontal span" (or something similar).

-Spiff

11. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Opps, yeah sorry forgot to check on that. :D

12. ASOULAN

Jun 10, 2005

Outstanding again!!

Asoulan bows to the computer Godliness of Spiff and DV.

Thanks guys...

13. Fall-in-Jedi

Fall-in-Jedi Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2002
    2 Video cards will work together but not with an onboard one (from what I have tried) for example, AGP will work with a PCI one (maybe even PCI express) But every time I have plugged a card into any type, it knocks out the on board...

Mark

14. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    I've never heard of that. I'm running triple displays (onboard + dual output on an nvidia card), so it must be just your setup.

15. Manger

Manger Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 11, 2005
    Hi, I have an Nvidia Geforce 128 mb and I cant find that option :S

16. Funk-E

Funk-E Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 11, 2003
    What kind of Geforce?

17. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    On my computer you go to the normal Windows screen settigngs dialog (you right click your desktop and choose "Properties") and choose the "Settings" tab and you should see the two screens. Select the 2nd and check the "expand windows desktop to this screen" button and bob is your ancestral bro'.

/Z

18. -Spiff-

Jun 9, 2005
    ... and have you updated your drivers recently?

-Spiff

19. FruityTooty

FruityTooty Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 29, 2005
    Plasmoustache.

(Just like the name.)

20. Evil-Henchman

Evil-Henchman Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2004
    Just so you know... currently AGP architecture and PCI Express (for video cards) arcitecture are incompatible. This means that there are NO motherboards with both an AGP and PCI Express slot/port.

21. DMPjedi

DMPjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 26, 2003
    Just to clear up some info (I kinda skimmed the thread :p ), an AGP video card will not work with an on-board video port. You either have to use one or the other; I know that from days of research + personal experience.

22. Darth_Abdax

Darth_Abdax Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 12, 2005
    I also bought a nifty program called ultramon to help manage my desktops easier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.