main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DuckTales (2017)

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Feb 25, 2015.

1. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Honestly, I'm kind of worried about what kind of series we'd be getting, considering the typical quality of stuff on Disney Channel and DisneyXD. Well, Star Wars Rebels is turning out pretty good, as well as some other stuff (maybe Gravity Falls? Don't have much time for TV recently), so there might be a chance of a decent show. I've seen some awful remakes, or continuations, but here's hoping. I still remember this awful duck show attempt called Quack Pack, ugh.

It'll be different to hear new voices for the characters though. I'm glad they managed to get the original voices back for the video game remake, but yeah, they're too old for a TV show. Hm, wonder if this is why the Ducktales movie is back in print, they just put it on Itunes and released a new DVD copy of it recently. The volumes have been in print for a while, but I know the movie was out of print for a while. Not that the movie was that, that good, but still.

2. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    wonder if it will predict future christoper nolan movies?
    [​IMG]

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000

I'm surprised- it actually looks pretty good. The overall look seems to have the muted look of the old Scrooge comics and it doesn't have a cheap CGI feel to it. The new voices will take a little getting used to, but Tennnat as Scrooge and Bennett as Launchpad fit very well. The new voices for the voices are a little annoying but at least they seem to be giving them individual personalities, which is an improvement.

Also, a second season has already been ordered.

4. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, the voices for the 4 younger ducks is going to take time getting used to, but individuality is good.

I don't remember Scrooge McDuck's mansion being that old and dusty and gloomy looking in the old show though... looks like they're now twisting it around so he's a has-been.

Everything else is great!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I think it looks great. Looking forward to it.

I do miss the old voices though -- but that's what the DVDs are for, I guess.

6. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yeah, I'm guessing the premise is that Scrooge has sorta settled into a bit of a funk and the kids give him his spark back.

Scrooge McDuck's voice is going to be the one I'm going to have to adjust to. Alan Young's portrayal is pretty darn iconic, and I found myself hearing it in my head overdubbing David Tennant (who's good, just... different). Glad they're keeping the theme song (updated, but the same song). If it ain't broke.

I'm 42 years old, but I'm sooooo up for more Duckventures!

Speaking of the theme, check this out.

V-2, Force Smuggler and Juliet316 like this.
  7. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Echo echo echo regarding the voices.

For some reason I thought this was going to be CG, rather than the hand drawn look. I wonder why Disney are reverting to this, with DuckTales and Tangled.

8. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I first learned the definition of inflation from DuckTales. Scrooge explained it during that episode about one of Gyro's inventions that could duplicate money.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And the game. :)

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I'm mad at the game right now.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

11. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

2D still has a strong presence in the realm of TV animation.

Adventure Time, Gravity Falls and the new series of Samurai Jack all immediately leap to mind. It's probably still cheaper and more efficient to produce a good looking 2D TV show than a 3D one.

12. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I did say Disney. All their recent offerings have been CG.

13. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009

Gravity Falls was Disney. :p

Quickly googling I can also see that Ultimate Spiderman, Star Vs The Forces of Evil, Phineas & Ferb, Wander Over Yonder and Avengers Assemble were all 2D Disney shows.

14. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    I mainly watch Disney Junior, so I see Sophia the First, Tigger and Pooh, Elena of Avalor, Mickey Mouse Club House, Mickey and the Roadster Racers :p

Chewgumma likes this.
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Change the difficulty setting, enjoy the story.

16. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

Wait, Tennant is Scrooge? As in David Tennant?

Way to reel me in Disney.

17. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Ah, the Carl Barks/Rosa reference- tougher than the toughies, smarter than the smarties (yes, I know that wasn't the exact quote). With Donald playing a bigger role (and that line) seems like they'll be drawing on the old Scrooge comics (Life and Times did have an old, tired Scrooge at one point).

Tennant sounds awesome as Scrooge (no surprise, its Tennant), the nephews sounds... ok, don't really care for Webby's voice. Its not like Webby in the original was great or anything, just the kids' voices sound older than I expected (though they're probably drawing on Gravity Falls for influence too). Launchpad's line was hilarious, so hopefully the finished product will be good.

Animation is ok, didn't care for it when they used it for more recent Mickey cartoons (but then few recapture the old magic anyway, and the art style isn't the problem), but it could work here. Now if only I actually had Toon Disney. Well, there are other ways, though I'm debating about trying out one of those online TV things for XD (no idea if Sling or Direct TV might be better).

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That was actually just him immediately prior to his first appearance in A Christmas on Bear Mountain. The implication being connecting with his nephews helped get him back up to speed.

Edit: Regarding the actual trailer I'm generally excited for the prospect of Donald Duck and Donald Duck accessories but woof, that animation seems like some stiff Flash-esque (or maybe actual Flash) stuff. Not that the original was a consistent high water mark or anything but it looks way more suited to a web series than a TV show.

19. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Are they going to relaunch the rest of the Disney afternoon?

20. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    I haven't heard anything, but I'd be willing to bet that if DuckTales 2.0 is a hit (and I believe it will be), we'll get Chip 'n Dale: Rescue Rangers and TailSpin at some point in the near future.

Rew likes this.
  21. Leoluca Randisi

Leoluca Randisi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 24, 2014

yea It looks good hopefully its on the night Star Wars Rebels is on!

22. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    The Barks comics really should just get their own cartoons, done in proper Disney animation style instead of this... stuff.
    It's just sad that Donald Duck cartoons were of a much higher quality eighty years ago than they are now.

Ramza likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    More casting:

Tony Anselmo reprises his role of Donald Duck, “Community” star Jim Rash is super inventor Gyro Gearloose, seasoned voice actor Keith Ferguson will play Scrooge’s rival Flintheart Glomgold, Margo Martindale is playing Ma Beagle with Eric Bauza voicing all of the other Beagle Boys, Allison Janney will voice Scrooge’s longtime romantic interest Goldie O’Gilt, comedian Paul F. Tompkins will play the supernaturally lucky Gladstone Gander, and Josh Brener will play new tech billionaire mogul character Mark Beaks.

They all join the already-revealed David Tennant as Scrooge McDuck, Lin-Manuel Miranda as Gizmoduck, Kate Micucci as Webby, Toks Olagundoye as Mrs. Beakley, Danny Pudi as Huey, Ben Schwartz as Dewey, Bobby Moynihan as Louie, and Beck Bennett as Launchpad McQuack. “Ducktales” will have its debut on Disney XD this August.

24. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    So does this continue from the original Ducktales or is this a completely new continuity?

V-2 likes this.
  25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000