main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph DuckTales (2017)

Discussion in 'Community' started by TiniTinyTony , Feb 25, 2015.

1. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    The kids just started watching this. My daughter is now singing the theme.

I think it's easily one of the best reboots I've seen. It pays sufficient homage to the original series while delivering new content, and it's clever.

2. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Overall, it's been good, but in general I feel that there is far too much Webby, and not enough Scrooge. Also, one of the episodes was missing one of the triplets entirely which I found odd.

Likes: Mrs. Beakley being bad ass. A little backstory on the triplets mom is welcome...but what about their father?
    Unsure: Gyro being a little on the evil side in this incarnation. Loved the Armstrong Easter egg and looking forward to Gizmo Duck sooner than later.
    Dislikes: The Beagle Boys specifically Mama Beagle is very lack luster. There was a humor about them that seems to be replaced with just stupidity. Also, I'd like more Launch Pad, but again his humor appears to just be full of stupidity for stupidity's sake.

3. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I liked Ma Beagle. She reminded me, at least a little, of Mom from Futurama.

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  4. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    I'm looking forward to more references to Darkwing Duck. The premiere mentioned the city of Saint Canard.

TCF-1138 likes this.
  5. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Yeah, I think that was one of Scrooge’s vulture accounts who mentioned that profits were down in St. Canard.

6. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    My significant other and I were talking earlier today about how David Tennant is never better than when he's acting with Catherine Tate. Then we sat down to watch the latest episode of DuckTales. Neither of us realized who played Magica, but my SO suggested that Catherine Tate would have been the perfect casting. Well... apparently Disney agreed. ^:)^

All in all, I adore this show. It has already far surpassed the original for me (and I'm a big fan), and is up there with Darkwing Duck. The show really is a great gift to us Disney Duck fans.

The showrunner explained on Twitter that the episodes are being aired out of order for some reason, which is why the show seems to focus more on Webby than other characters right now, and why Scrooge hasn't appeared for several episodes in a row. It wasn't written like that though.

7. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Whenever this series is released on disc, I wonder what order they'll put it in. Webby is a great character, but the scrambled broadcast order has basically made this the Webby show more than anything else. Most of the episodes have been "Webby and a nephew" (or her new "friend") while Scrooge has barely done anything since the pilot. By the end of the season it should all balance out, just wish the network hadn't changed the order. Well, one of those original earlier episodes should be coming up soon hopefully.

Looking forward to Tennant and Tate, their (non-romantic) chemistry made the fourth series my favorite season of Doctor Who. Maybe we'll see what fifteen million dollars worth of magical defenses look like.

EDIT: And more Mrs. Bleakly too, please. Before this series I never would have imagined having Mrs. Bleakly and Donald team up to beat up Beagle Boys, but this series has absolutely made it work.

TCF-1138 and Juliet316 like this.
  8. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    Looks like the next episode will be a little more Scrooge/Donald-centric.

Juliet316 and TCF-1138 like this.
  9. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  10. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
  11. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    Scrooge is something else.

12. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I was watching this regularly as new ones came out, but I hadn't checked the Disney Now app in a while because of being heavily occupied with all four CW DC shows and Stranger Things Season 2. I thought I would be SO far behind, but turns out that NO new episodes of Ducktales aired in November so I was only 3 behind. Why no new episodes in November? Who knows.

Anyway, I thought it was odd that -
    Huey was absent from the third episode
    No Scrooge in the fourth episode
    No Louie nor Webby in the seventh episode

Again, I appreciate the seeds they planted with the twins mother, but not father?
    Also, they planted the seeds with Magica relative and then nothing.

I know the episodes are being aired out of order as mentioned in an earlier post, but it's weird when characters are missing and they aren't included in a B or C story-line. I find that to be a little frustrating to follow when there's no story arc.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    I don’t know, The Infernal Intership of Mark Beaks had three simultaneous plot lines and it felt very chopped up. The Living Mummies of Toth-ra and The Impossible Summit of Mount Neverest both had much more coherent story lines. The thing I think would serve Ducktales well, would be to adopt a storytelling structure more in the vein on Clone Warr. Terror of the Terra-firmians, House of the Lucky Gander, The Living Mummies of Toth-ra and The Impossible Summit of Mount Neverest all could have been stretched out over multiple episodes.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  14. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Finally some news!

Woo-oo! [face_party]

Juliet316 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  15. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Yeah it's nice to finally hear some news. With 1 episode in August, 3 in Sept, 4 in October, and 1 in December 2017, I was worried about it. I don't understand why a television company does that to a show. It feels like they don't care about it. Oh well. After some research it appears that two episodes aired last month in March that I didn't know about.

So if there's new episodes every day, does that count weekends? If yes, with 11 aired so far, we should be getting a new episode on May 12th.

EDIT: They just tweeted that Lin Manuel Miranda will be voicing
    Gizmoduck
    on May 11th so there is a new episode that day? Math doesn't add up. They must be airing more than one a day or something.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
    Juliet316 likes this.
  16. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    In some countries, yes. But not in English.

17. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    IMDb says it aired in USA, Sweden, and Netherlands. I'll have to check the Disney Now app when I get home.

18. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    It's incorrect. Frank Angones - one of the showrunners - specifically said that IMDB was wrong on Twitter. There hasn't been any episodes aired in the US since last year.

19. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Unfortunately, you are correct. I was hoping to watch new episodes tomorrow. :(

20. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    I know the feeling. :(

I recently bought a nice new edition of The Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck, and reading it again made me really hyped for more DuckTales.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Juliet316 and Chancellor_Ewok like this.
  22. TCF-1138

Sep 20, 2002
    The Spear of Selene is one of the best episodes so far.

23. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Episode Spoilers

In general / Spear of Selene:
    I find myself wondering if I'm expecting too much from this show. In the original series, the boys stayed with Scrooge because Donald was rejoining the Navy if I remember correctly. So while I appreciate Donald going on adventures from time to time (when he was on shore leave from the Navy), I guess I don't know what he's doing when he's not included.

Also, I appreciate the clues we are getting about the boys' mother, but that's all were essentially getting are clues. Something bad must have happened to her otherwise she would be the world's crap-iest mother to abandon them for no reason especially since there is no father in the picture. Like if she's alive, I assume she's trapped somewhere. It took us 3 seasons to get information on Ezra Bridger's family in Rebels, but it wasn't the show's main focus. I guess you could argue that she isn't a "main focus" but she has been mentioned in 3 of the 11 episodes we've gotten so far. I hope this doesn't get dragged much longer

Regarding Beware the BUDDY system:

Here's an episode where we got Dewey but no mention of what Huey and Louie (or Webby) were up to. Also we get Gyro's new assistant who won't be name dropped until the end sequence which was very odd that he wasn't introduced. Was it because they wanted to reveal his new name Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera? I don't want to sound insensitive, but did he really need a change of last name to reflect the character voicing him? Are there little Latin American kids out there saying, "Hey Momma, that duck has a Latin name like me. I want to be good with numbers and be a bumbling intern someday like my hero Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera." No, the kids see Gizmoduck and they think he's cool like I did when I was a kid. I wanted to be Gizmoduck. Why didn't they change his name?

I did love the references to Darkwing, but they made it a TV show within the world of Ducktales. Does that mean St. Canard isn't a sister city to Duckburg? I guess the show can be still be based on the city that actually does exist in continuity, but does that mean Darkwing is fictional. Yes, I know they're all fictional, but you know what I mean right?

This episode is essentially a reboot of the Armstrong vs Lauchpad story but it's Bulb vs Lauchpad.

The helmet copter looked a little weird when animated. It just looked like something was spinning above his head. Where's the middle metal piece that holds the blades?

The Headless Man Horse with the Scrooge bust is very off putting.

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Chancellor_Ewok

Nov 8, 2004
    @TiniTinyTony and why does Webby automatically assume that they will find information about what happened to Della on Ithaquack? Also why is that only Dewey is interested in finding their mother? Do Scrooge, Donald, Huey and Louie not know tha Dewey and Webby are looking for Della? Why? I feel like I’m missing something.

25. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I'd have to rewatch Woo-oo and The Great Dime Chase but I think Dewey mentions he doesn't want his brothers to know just in case they find out that Della wasn't a good person/duck.
    What I do remember is that they get one clue in Woo-oo that leads to another clue in The Great Dime Chase involving a note about the Spear of Selene so they make sure that Launchpad has to make an emergency landing on that island to investigate in the episode of the same name.