main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends Dumb Luck: Han Solo's letter to his younger self. Humor/Romance viggie

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Princess1, Feb 29, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Princess1

Princess1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 3, 2001

Dumb Luck
    Rating: PG
    Disclaimer: Star Wars belongs to George Lucas, forever and ever, not to me, amen!

A humor/romance viggie.

Yes, I AM writing humor. Shocking thought it is. ;)

But this one begged to be written. So please read. :)

(Turns computer on)

Yes, I know, I am a idiot. I blame it on sentiment and insomnia. These two things are to blame for most foolishness in the world you know.

But I digress.

I saw something like this in a Holo once, a kid writing a letter to his future decrepit old self.

Well, I am doing the opposite.

My decrepite old self is writing a letter to my idiotic young self.

There I said it, laugh at me all you want.

Perhaps it is because I am getting old, but sometimes I am afraid my memories are going to fly away from me at lightspeed, slipping between my fingers. This kinda frightens me. Okay, I admit it; the idea scares the hell out of me. I have so much I want to remember. Even if there are a few memories I could do without, I couldn't risk losing the rest of them.

Oh boy, I sound like a Luke, the old philospher. Now I know I am getting old.

And yes, I did say it. I am getting old.

Not that I would ever admit it aloud of course, to Leia or anyone else.

But its true all the same.

I can see it in their eyes though. Luke, who still can't hide a thing he's thinking worth a damn, he acts sometimes like he's afraid I am going to break. Idiot kid, he's not young either.

Then theres Jaina and that young man of hers, Kyp. Sometimes I suspect both of them of wanting to tie me to a rocking chair so I won't go fly the Falcon and crash. Ha! As if! I could never crash my ship, even if I was 400 hundred years old and blind as a mynock.

At least Leia knows better then to keep me from my ship. She knows me far too well. As I know her. We both know that she's afraid for me every time I fly or do anything, that if I accassionally limp just a little from my old blaster wound, that she wants to fetch me a cane.

A cane for me. Sorry sweetheart, the day I need a old stick to walk is the day I roll over and curse my last. In Corellian.

Yep, she knows all that. So she lets me do what I please, and just looks a little sad, like she's missing me already.

Sometimes that alone is enough for me to reconsider any foolish ideas like trying to teach Jaina's kids, my Grandchildren, the right way to fly. Through asteriod fields and stuff. None of those sissy simulators.

So I restrain myself and go and kiss her instead. Trying to erase the tears from her eyes.

I never could stand to see Leia cry. My Leia.....

Leia's got gray in her hair, lots of it. But its still thick, and she's still got that pretty smile, and the sharp tongue and wit which can scald you or freeze you in your tracks without warning. And most of the lines in her face are laugh lines, which I rather think I am responsible for. She would roll her eyes at me for such arrogance though for sure...

Yep, thats my Princess.

She's mine alright, although I would never have expected it thirty years ago.

Yes, you young whelp of a Han Solo in the past, despite how stupid you were, you still managed to catch, or be caught, by a Princess.

From sheer dumb luck, is all I can conclude now. You'd managed to screw up every other good thing that came into your life, you know.

You'd loved women and left them. Been loved by them and abandoned. Mostly you'd let your adolescent hormones run wild.

Ah, that was fun.

But stupid all the same!

At the rate you accumilated vengeful fathers running after you because of their daughters, and fat vengeful huts running after you because you your money, its a wonder you made it far at all.

Once again, only dumb luck let you survive long enough to meet that crazy old man and equally crazy kid on Tatioone.

And more dumb luck let you get out of the Death Star, not only alive but with a fiery Princess in tow.

You even escaped without catching anything from the stench of that damned Imper

2. StarForce

StarForce Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 1, 2004
    Okay, I shouldn't even have read this at this time at night (it's two hours later than the boards), but I was procrastinating and saw this story and couldn't resist, so...

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] That was great! I loved Han's thoughts on flying his ship.

It was also really beautiful though. I could imagine Han thinking those thoughts. It was very in-character. I'd quote my favourite parts, but then I'd have to copy and paste practically the whole story! 8-}

I write to my "decrepit old self" sometimes ( [face_blush] ), although strangely, it's because of the same fears Han has of his "decrepit old self": I'm afraid of losing memories and ideas.

Anyway, that was really wonderful, and has given me the strength to go read the book for school that I really don't want to read. Thanks! :)

3. LumiKuningatar

LumiKuningatar Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2003
    I was grinning the whole way through when I read it, and then you wrote..;
    Wait, except for one thing.

Don't, for Force's sake don't let Leia kiss her brother.

That was just disgusting.

I burst out laughing. Very very funny

I liked the fic because it was sentimental but with a sense of humour in it.. :D

4. GreatOne

GreatOne Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 22, 2003
    I didn't think it was funny! I thought it was touching and sad!! :_| - I almost cried when I read the line about Leia getting sad when she thinks about losing Han! *sniff* (goes off to bawl)

5. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Very sweet and sad at the same time! I really liked it! My favorite part, though...Don't let Leia kiss her brother. That was just disgusting. LOL! :D

6. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    wow, four replies, I wasn't expecting to get much of a response to what was the product of my insomnia and sentiment, lol. :p

hehe anyway.....

starforce: hey, sounds like you are a fellow procrasinator, I was doing the same thing when I wrote this, lol, staying up and fiddling around the boards to delay going to sleep. hehe. Anyway, wow, so glad you liked it, Han Solo is my all time favorite character, so I really apreciate the fact that you thought I wrote him in character. :D lol, I agree, that was one of my favorite parts of it to, when he talked about his ship, lol, I could just see Han's appalled expression if they told him not to fly. :p You know, its not that odd to write to your 'decripit old self', one of my friends and I did it when we were about twelve years old, writing notes to ourselves, to be openend in the future, when we graduated highschool and went to college, and sealing them up and putting them in a old diary at the botton of the drawer. I openend mine this year, and believe me, I laughed a little.

LumiKuningatar: Thanks sooo much, so glad you liked it! :D hehe, yea, I couldn't resist putting that little bit in about Leia kissing her brother, its the biggest star wars gross out scene, lol. Humor with a mix of sentiment in it was what I was trying for, I am so glad it worked, because normally I write pretty heavy drama/angst, so this is a stretch for me. :)

GreatOne: (hands you a tissue) lol, its okay, it was meant to be funny, but it was also meant to be sad, so your right! It made me sniffly writing that part about Leia missing han. :( hehe anyway, thanks so much. :D

EmilieDarklighter: Wow,thanks so much, that sweet/sad bittersweet feeling is what Iwas going for...but normally I write pretty heavy drama, so this was a bit of a challenge for me, its very nice to hear that it worked. :D hehe, yea, that was one of my favorite lines too. I grinned as I wrote it, lol.

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    This was funny and touching all at the same time. Great job!
    Kimberely

8. RogueSticks

RogueSticks Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2003
    Don't let Leia kiss her brother!!! LOL!!!!! Good stuff!

9. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    uppers! :D

10. JainaDurron

JainaDurron Jedi Master star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    This was beautiful Jen. Great job. :)

~~Jilly

11. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    Vader: wow, thanks sooooo much! :D

jilly: thanks, glad you liked it, it was a blast to write, as is anything with han. :D

RogueSticks: lol, well apparently we all agree with Han on that statement, I certianly do, lol! :p anyway, thanks. :D

12. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Very nice story, Princess1! Great job! :D

13. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    HanSolo29: Thanks! :D

14. darkladyhannasolo

darkladyhannasolo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    Very good story.

15. Laura_Anu

Laura_Anu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2002
    Dude, this was sad! I really liked it though....there's never anything on the boards about old Han, so this was great! I really enjoyed the part about "The Kiss". Please write more fics like this!!!

~Lau-ra Anu~

16. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    darklady: Thanks! :D

Laura: hehe wow, thanks, I actualy think I've read something about a old han solo before, but thanks so much, I really enjoyed writing it, happy sad stuff is my favorite. :) And by the way, if you liked this one, I am thinking of making it into a kind of series...one for each star wars couple. What do you think? :D

17. Stormtrooper_Shrink

Stormtrooper_Shrink Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2004
    LOL! That was really good. Very Han. I loved seeing his reminences...however you spell that damn word, anyway.

Great!

18. Sologirl

Sologirl Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 16, 2004
    What can I say. I love Han.

Very good depiction of him! You must continue!!!

19. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    stormtroopershrink: lol, thats okay, I can't spell the word either! hehe. Anyway wow, thanks so much, I am so glad you liked it, I will definitly continue in this same type of thing then, expand to other characters in viggies I guess. :D

sologirl: wow, thanks soooo much! :D hehe, I so agree with you there, Han is my favorite character by far. :)

20. Eowyn_Jade

Eowyn_Jade Jedi Master star 4

Jan 14, 2003
    Oh i couldn't resist, this was such a clever idea!

wondefully written! Actually made me laugh out loud at a few points. Like where he talks about Luke and Leia kissing 8-} that was pure genius! And the part about how he doesn't exaggerate...much [face_laugh] oh there's alot of great lines in there.

very well done :D

EJ

21. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    L

M

F

A

O

Teh funny

http://boards.theforce.net/Beyond_the_Saga/b10477/15080365/?19

22. starsailor721

starsailor721 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 31, 2004
    Your story was wonderful!

"Mostly you'd let your adolescent hormones run wild.
    Ah, that was fun."

That line cracked me up. I can really see Han saying that. As the first thing that came to his mind it showed that some things never change.

"But stupid all the same!"

Finally, in his old age, the man gets some maturity :)

*edited 4 probs with italics

23. _JM_

_JM_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 26, 2001
    I found it rather touching, a smiler rather than a laugher.

24. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001

Eowyn Jade: hehe, wow, gosh..... (blushes) and I thought this was going to be one of those little ficcies that didn't get many readers, lol. Shows how much I know. :p Anyway thanks so much, those were some of my favorite parts too, this fic set out to be humorous, and then got kinda sad and sweet too...glad to hear you think it succeeded on both counts. :D

3MD: Thanks. :)

JM: hehe, well, smiles and laughs are both good,and since this one is a kinda sappy sweet sort of funny, smiles are quiet apropriate. hehe. Anyway, thanks! :D

Starsailor: Wow, thats sooooo cool that you like that line! hehe, it was one of those when I wrote the 'mostly you let your adolescent hormones run wild' part and then went wait a minute...in what way has this changed for han? :p hehe. Anyway, thanks so much, so glad you liked it! :D hhehe and yes han has managed at least a pretense of maturity over the years. ;) But he's still the scoundrel we all know and love! :D

25. Princess1

Dec 3, 2001
    uppers! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.