main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX DUNE

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by jedimiss, Dec 4, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedimiss

jedimiss Jedi Youngling

Nov 18, 2000
    Did anyone besides me jump up and down at the site of Dune on the Sci-fi channel? I have been waiting a whole year for this. Am I the only Dune fan? Just wondering.

2. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Your not alone. I don't have cable so I'm having my father tape them at his house.

I've got all the DUNE movie versions on tape --- regular 2 1/2 hour, 3 1/2 hour, and the 4 hour versions

I was never really interested in the books but I thought the movie was a great sci-fi experience in itself...

"Long live the fighters!!!"

3. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    I could never really stand the original movie. I guess I'm just not a fan of David Lynch's style. But I'm really digging this new miniseries. I think I may just read the book series after this is done.

4. DarthRain

DarthRain Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2000
    Yeah...I watched part II last night...and I'll DEFINITELY be catching part III this evening.

I'm diggin' it.

It seems to have a lot more both above and below the surface than Lynch's version did.

5. jedilona

jedilona Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    Oh yeah, i've been watching...I thought it would be better than the movie, and i've not be disappointed...I intend to watch all of it..I haven't read the other books in the series, but i have read dune....so far so good this week

6. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Yeah, Lynch is one of those directors which you either love or hate his style. I happen to be one of the latter. Dune is an incredibly complex, technical story that is hard enough to bring to film without making it worse with a strange, abstract style of filmmaking like Lynch has. Combined with the inferior special effects of the time, and the constraints of length for one feature film, it just didn't work for me, in any of the versions.

That being said, this mini-series is really cool. It's easy to understand, but they haven't dumbed down the story at all. I really like the production design, and the effects work, for the most part. The acting I'd say is adequate, and serves its purpose.

I'm hoping this series is a big success, because if it is, we might be seeing more great books brought to the screen in this manner. (hint: The Wheel of Time).

7. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    There are definately a lot of good books that would make really good movies. Looks like I have to get the tapes of the new show A.S.A.P.

Hey, you couldn't have had better music in the movie than Toto -- just kidding (the music sucked real bad)

8. JarvisW

JarvisW Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2000
    I agree Lynch's verson was horrid (see JC community Dune thread). This one stuck to the book and kept me rivited from the start!

The FX werent the greatest but they worked and didnt interfere with the story. (unlike Lynch's MUUUUUAAAAAADDDIIB!)

A fine peace of work and I'd like to see more from Sci-Fi Channel.

The book I want to see is Hichikkers Guide. Douglas Adams is working with one of the Disneys and is casting now!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.