main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Salisb, NC Dungeons & Dragons Game Play at Monstore

Discussion in 'SouthEast Regional Discussion' started by RipRoar, Nov 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maha_Panta

Maha_Panta Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 14, 2008
    Where did you get JK from?

2. Dravidius

Dravidius Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 11, 2008
    Ripp she meant "Just Kidding" or "JK" for short.

I just got the Phone with JR and we got his awesome new Eartheoul Genasi finised up!!!He is going to be a great fighter and will probably require very little healing from the devil, i mean cleric. anyways I am working on stuff for church on Sunday so i will talk at you all later.

3. Dravidius

Nov 11, 2008
    Ripp she meant "Just Kidding" or "JK" for short.

I just got the Phone with JR and we got his awesome new Eartheoul Genasi finised up!!!He is going to be a great fighter and will probably require very little healing from the devil, i mean cleric. anyways I am working on stuff for church on Sunday so i will talk at you all later.

4. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    I thought he was asking who JK is?

Thanks for saying my Earthsoul Genasi Fighter is awesome. Since we were able to talk it through, we were able to bounce ideas off each other to improve him. For example,I had said Firesoul, and then you mentioned Earthsoul can knock them prone, I said Pack Initiate, and then you mentioned the Dwarfen weapon proficiences, which got me to ask about racial feats for my character and we chose one to improve his Earthsoul, afterwards you told me to pick either an axe; hammer; or mace. We did a lot of work bouncing around ideas till we got the best fit like when I asked about a two handed hammer, you mentioned the Maul is a two handed weapon in the hammer group. I think by working together like that, we got the best fit with mechanical playability and role playability.

RP wise, I see my character following a path to lead him an Epic Destiny of following Thor. He'll need to continue to increase the damage his hammer/maul does and take feats to further tune his Earth powers.

5. Dravidius

Nov 11, 2008
    I am glad you like your character. I will write him up and I will also write up your Powers, probably on paper or on note cards so you don't have to go through he book every time you want to use one. I am sure they will be updating the Character generator once it is out of the beta version in late December or very early next year. Then Comes the Character Visualizer baby!!!!!

6. Dravidius

Nov 11, 2008
    I will be at the Monstore no later than 4pm tomorrow. I will be setting up the encounters and such. The Adventure name is "Many Hands Make Light Work." I would like to start at 5 if possible. Next week just to give you a heads up, I will be working till around 5:45pm. I will get to the monstore right about 6pm. I may have Jenni get there ahead of me to set up the game but we will start as close to 6pm as possible to be finished by 9pm. I have not selected the Adventure for next week yet.

7. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    Tonight's game was great, I really enjoyed it. Too bad a certain impatient wizard killed the halfling I was going to intimidate. Now we got an entire club of people obsessed with pointy sticks after us, we won't even get any quest rewards from defending ourselves against these zealots. Thanks wizard, when thay come after us, we'll explain how you lead the assault from the roof and killed their guy. Because I have no problem leaving you with them for not letting me use my skill check.

Here's that reward link I mentioned on my way out the store: http://membership.wizards.com/signup/signup.aspx

8. matthewuzimake

matthewuzimake Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 12, 2008
    hey wont be that tmrw but mark will take my place with my water guy

9. Dravidius

Nov 11, 2008
    GREAT GAME!!!!!

Even though our warlock as not present :( Great team work and great pace, thanks for helping me keep things moving. Special thanks to RIP for keeping track of HP and Initiative. I know keeping track of Maha is tough with all the temporary Hp coming his way. I am glad every had a good time and I am glad everyone survived. Next week we start our first two part adventure in the city of Waterdeep called The Heirloom.

Ashar: When i put in your DCI number it didn't reconize you, I.E. it didn't bring up your name. I don't know if it is something on my end or yours, just a heads up.

Gurth "Brooks": Same thing as Ashar, except it wanted your last name to make sure you're in the system. You two might want to double check your info and such.

Phredde & Dalamar: Your Treasure bundles wern't listed on the bundle selection area of reporting. Dalamar we know you have the potion and that is a consumable so no biggie. Phredde assume you are 50 gold less until I can check up on the situation with your bundles, because I believe you selected the extra gold.

N.E. Ways thanks for playing and I am glad everyone had a good time. See you next week in Waterdeep!

10. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    Yeah, lots of fun and I can't wait for Waterdeep.

11. RipRoar

RipRoar Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 8, 2007
    Maha,

NOW you know what it's like when one of our party members JUST BURSTS THRU the door without talking to the rest of us or INTIMIDATING w/o any discussion! Remember - I was the one who was coming to HEAL you w/ my potion - not the cleric. Remember I was the one who was going to float over and lower a rope while you were drowning...

Threatening a Wizard is always very dangerous - letting him know ahead of going into the next dungeon when he always stays to the rear is very risky! LOL

Be careful making threats towards Dalmar the "Shifter". I would prefer you understand the big picture and that we had no time for any more games and I like you made an individual decision for the group to end the conflict and save your lives [Especially since I was keeping track of our HP and I could see how much trouble we were in].

LOL

Since when is a meatshield FIGHTER afraid of people marking us for conflict. AND to the DM's comment that we have been marked by the flaming blades(?) - how do they even know it was us that killed a halfling thief in their employ - I heard it was a WereRat leader ...

12. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    About your first sentance:
    1. I was just kidding, but now that you mentioned it, isn't it worst that you killed him AFTER we discussed intimidating him?
    2. I never "JUST BURSTS THRU the door without talking to the rest of us". I waited patiently at the back door of the first encounter, and I stayed with the party on the other two, did I not?
    3. What is wrong with "INTIMIDATING", and why are you yelling (caps)? The thing is that if it works, we're good, if not, someone else rolls. What is up with people trying to tell Jason what I'm saying when I try to intimidate, especially when they're characters are not even there, so I can not discuss it with them? I'm just trying to RP my character true to it's self.

The Cleric was knocked uncouncious trying to heal me. So you can't say he wasn't trying.

I fell in on my turn, you decided against helping me, and I had to do a athletics check after taking acid damage.

You seem very defencive. I was not threatening your character, I was trying to pick wiith you like you and Jason were doing to me as we left the Monstore. I figured if yall wanted to mess with me like that, I'd fit in if I returned the favor.

Again, I was just trying to joke about the halfling. Although it would have been nice if someone else could have made the check while someone tried to heal me. I hope you understand that I meant it the same way you meant what you were saying to the Cleric about the healing.

I am not afraid of being marked. I am trying to RP my character here, and the fact that he's true neutral, he does care to fight for free. So while he'll be the first to accept a quest, he is not a Paladin, so he's not going to go looking for a fight without any possibilites of reward. I hope you understand that, and I'd be happy to hear everyone;s though on me RPing like that.

13. funshinespy

funshinespy Jedi Youngling

Nov 11, 2008
    Alright kids. Let's all take a deep breath....now let it out slowly. There we go.

So, I wasn't there and I don't know what all happened...but I am sure that we can get past this all. Everyone just needs to get a long and love one another. There...do I sound cliche enough?

Now...in the words of Chali:
    Get over it all. let's move on and smite the next foes mightily. My Darkspiral Aura is thirsty for some points. Muwahahaha!

I missed you all. See you Sunday!
    Huggles
    Jenni(1/2 of J^2)

14. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    We had a good time. Some players got knocked out, and for some reason they were pronounced dead by some of the party, and the Cleric was picked on for not being able to heal the whole party, but it all seemed to be in good fun.

EDIT: I forgot to mention the fun with the rats. We attacked a WereRat, and everyone became infected but me. I rolled a natural twenty for the first time, and got like a +9 for endurance. What a waste of a natural twenty... :_|

How was the wedding? Bring be back any cake? [face_praying]

15. Dravidius

Nov 11, 2008
    Nothing is personal. You folks worked well together and got what you needed to get done done. Just a few pointers/observations...

Play your Alignment: This does not mean if you are unaligned that you do evil acts, just that you are a little more selfish. The Wizard would probably use a potion on himself before he used it on someone else. If your character is Good then be good, if your Character is Lawful Good, Then be mindful of the laws that goodness tends to espouse. I'll tell you in Waterdeep I will give you a handout that lists the laws of the city, if you are lawful good you will need to follow those as best you can.

Cleric: Good job with the healing, it is difficult to do and also to Triage who needs it most. You played your alignment well by attempting to get to the Fighter in order to heal him, and it all worked out in the end. Let's just turn the volume down just a little bit so when you do well the whole parking lot doesn't have to hear.Great job with your character

Fighter: When Diplomacy is dead then is the time to Intimidate. I doubt anyone in the group is going to look to you to Intimdate as a first option. Let those people who have abilities in Diplomacy, Bluff, History, and Other skills try their hand skill challenges before you try to intimidate, you may end up getting a bonus to your action because of something they did. Otherwise good job with keeping the baddies focused on you in the temple and well done with the rat king.

Skill Challenges: I will not be rolling Initiatives for Skill Challenges. I will always go from my left around the table. Everyone will get to take one roll at the skill challenge before one person gets a second shot.

All in all I enjoyed the game and I hope everyone else did. Jenni will be getting a copy of the adventure so that she can start it earlied if she so chooses. I will talk to her before Thanksgiving and see. If she is up to doing that, then I will let her start the adventure and I will step in when I arrive. Maybe we can start earlier than 6. talk to you all soon, word coming down the pike about treasure.

16. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    Jason, I agree with that except I don't think I did as good as you said with the king of rats. When I had to reroll initative, I rolled low, and I was not able to get to him fast enought to flank him like I should have. If I had done this then it would have ended sooner, and while I would have been bit, I could have saved more members of the party from it. So I appologise for not getting to him fast enough.

My biggest thing is my character is unaligned and I don't see intimidating the people I did as an evil act, now it would have been a different story if I tried it on one of the sisters. I am saying that I whole heartly agree with Jason that unaligned means "just that you are a little more selfish.". That is why I was RPing my character as ticked off by being marked and that it means that these "red pointy stick fellows" may attack resulting in a fight with no reward. The only way I can see this line of thinking ever changing for my character is if he multi-classed as a Paladin of Thor.

EDIT: Once again, I want to stress that overall this was a great game!

17. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    Maha - what I wrote was all in fun and just teasing outside of the actual game play in response to your post directed at my character. Please do not take things so personally by everyone all the time - you are considered a new friend by all. Just like the in-game teasing of the cleric which by the way DID A GREAT JOB FOR THE ENTIRE GROUP and had fun teasing back! It was was my character's choice to move far from everyone else during play and take risk of damage but also safely away from most action. The Cleric knows that he was in no way at fault and he RP'd very well in "pleading" that he was trying to heal me. Humor is always a quick way to get to know new friends. I had a blast and so did everyone else that i talked too!

It's all good - this is just a game - let's have fun! As you get to know me you will realize when I am kidding and when I am not - obviously I would back your character if help is needed (Well - as long as it doesn't guarantee my untimely demise - LOL - just kidding again).

Otherwise, I agree totally with our DM that although I value your great strength and intimidate skills, "threats" should not always be our first option since we have so many skilled in other areas without potential unneeded violence or marks by new groups. When I mentioned breaking thru a door - I was referring to our first game session where you broke thru the door without talking to the rest of us first - so yes - you gained surprise but the rest of us were AS surprised and had to scramble with what to do (Which actually turned out fine in the end but since we are a party of friends all playing together - we would have liked being asked or told what you wanted to do first if possible). There will be times an individual must act for the betterment of the group - those are heroic times for sure but I think our game play this last time (other than me finishing off a certain halfling when our team was DOWN) was excellent teamwork and strategy/planning. We played up our group's strengths finally even without our warlock (of which we missed greatly in our quest).

One last comment - we are fairly new to all of this (Sure I played 25 years ago under 2nd edition and we as a group before joining this group played recently under 3 or 3.5 rules but rules were not always followed and VERY loose play - we mostly just roll played everything for the fun of it under a DM friend who did a great job - just a home brew game of imagination). So when we mistakenly say were dead or get a rule wrong - please give us a break - we are new to all this but LOVING EVERY MINUTE OF IT!

Have a great day and better Thanksgiving ALL! See you Sunday.

18. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    I guess I still have trouble realizing when you are kidding and when you are not. Things written in all capital letters represent screaming on message boards, so I took it as you yelling at me. Which is something I've grown use to at home. it sucks always having to be defensive.

Are you fine with me contining to RP my character as someone that's a little more selfish than other characters like Clerics?

19. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    No problem - also I am not up on all the message board abbreviations, etc. I do realize caps is YELLING but have a habit of doing it not to yell but emphasize because I'm too lazy to highlight in color or make bold, etc. - also I am in Architecture and write out everything by hand in caps all the time - just habits - sorry!

I tried to add LOL (Laugh out loud after my initial posts so you could tell I was just joking after you directed that post at me - which I too thought you were just joking to be clear since the 10-15 second rule got misunderstood). So were all good! You will also see that I like to RP and create backstories between characters my character interacts with to add additional levels of fun and excitement - just ask the others about a WISH my wizard had once - RAISTLIN of dragonlance would have been very Proud of my character's ingenious way to trick (I was chaotic evil) my fellow party members into absolute loyalty to me even to their own peril!

anyway - had fun and just assume I am always kidding - you will clearly know if not!

20. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    Ahh! I normally underline words I wan't to emphasize.

Do we have a Paladin?

21. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    Dravidius,

We got our swordmage (Josh) all set online and will need to get Matt's next time I talk to him. Thanks again!

22. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
  23. Dravidius

Nov 11, 2008
    Hey all, I am looking forward to playing on sunday. The adventure requires a good deal of RP for the first few encounters or so. I will be ready to hit the ground running as soon as I get there. I will do what I can to get someone to work a little early so that I can take off a little early. Talk to you soon. Just to Twist the dagger home, I am probably going to be playing tomorrow night at my home :p Anyways have a good one.

24. RipRoar

Apr 8, 2007
    OKAY - have fun at home in your other game!

25. Maha_Panta

Nov 14, 2008
    Jason, please don't forget that you still have my character sheets and RPGA card. You took my sheets to add that new item. What was it? Anyway, can you give it to Jenni so I'll be able to look it over before you get there Sunday?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.