main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Chic, IL Dungons & Dragons -The Movie

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by JediLars, Dec 8, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Hey folks the new D&D movie is out today. I plan on seeing sometime. I would have to say from the trailer it looks pretty cool. But looks can be deceiving. But whats everyone take on this and if you saw or plan to see the film.

JediLars

2. ScoobyDew

ScoobyDew Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 6, 2000
    I'm planning on seeing it tomorrow, I'll post and give my take on it.

I like most of the stuff, f/x and all, but the dragons....are a little weak. They just look too....plasticy (no, that's not a real word ;) )

Scooby
    (T-Minus ummm 40 some posts til I get 1 star? Oooh ooooh teacher, give a star!!!)

3. Mos_Eisleian_Radio

Mos_Eisleian_Radio Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2000
    Everything I've seen about this movie looks like it's going to be excrutiatingly bad. Of course, if MST3K were still around, it might make good fodder for Mike and the bots. My brother and his friends really want to see it and include me, unfortunately, so I hope it's at least laughably bad.

Phil

4. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    My take on the D&D movie so far, not having seen it yet, is that it cannot possibly be worse than "Godzilla Vs. SpaceGodzilla", and even that had its moments. ;) Try and keep that in mind when you see it, Phil.... just ignore the plot unless it happens to be good in places. :D

Thom

(Of course, if what we get is more akin to, say, "Son of Godzilla", then the world is doomed.)

5. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    Hmmm.

I myself think that it's going to be incredibly fun. I'm just thinking of it as a kind of romp, though, not looking to take it seriously at all. Also I expect it will be a bit of a CGI showcase, but I'm all right with that. I guess I just don't take my Dungeons and Dragons too seriously.

Now, when the LOTR movies come out, look for me to have high expectations. JRR's books ARE serious fantasy, no light fluff. If I'm going to be impressed by the movies, they better measure up. I expect some heavy drama.

6. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    I think it looks pretty cool, actually. I'm not sure whether I'll see it now (I doubt any of my friends want to see it) or wait until it comes out on video. It looks "action-packed" so that's a plus.

7. MaraJadeSkywalkerFF

MaraJadeSkywalkerFF Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 27, 2000
    Hmh... I have been wanting to see it, but I haven't heard anyone I know say that they like it!

That's too bad... maybe I'll still see it when it goes to the discount movie.

8. Stardreamer

Stardreamer Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 26, 2000
    Shauna and Heather, two of CF's non-posting (or rarely posting, Heather being Darth Jurist) members, saw it last night. Shauna said it was "hilariously bad".

IOW, folks, it's "Son of Godzilla", but the MST3K version. :D

I haven't seen it yet m'self.

Thom
    "I need an exit!"

9. DarthJurist

DarthJurist Admin Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 10, 2000
    Well, Thom, I apologize for not posting more, however, I just have so many Jedi to entangle with my overwhelming legal jurisprudence that I have left CF in your (and Matt and Dave's) capable hands. Of course, your allegiance with the Jedi as a rogue pilot has not been overlooked and will be dealt with at a later day and time (as set by the Galactic Court).

As for the topic of this thread, I will say that I know virtually nothing about D & D, and found the movie to be moderatly engaging, especially after several drinks. The movie had its moments, but there were lots of things that were just hilarious awful. We also had the benefit of being in a theatre full of 20- and 30-something dorks that enjoyed vocalizing their mostly negative opinions (there were lots of snickers and ?whatever?s). A good time was had by most, by not to the movie?s benefit. I recommend it as a rental while you are inventing a drinking game.

Groovn' to the Fifth Element Soundtrack ...

10. Xmaveric

Xmaveric Jedi Master star 5

Nov 25, 2000
    Well, since I haven't seen anyone with the same oppinion as myself, I might as well express it.

I thought that the movie was very good with the CGI effects, except, as ScoobyDew said, with the dragons. However, the terrain and castle scenes were incredible, as was the dungeon lighting.

I was an avid D&D player for many years, and I saw the movie with a couple other role-players. The worst part of the movie for me was listening to my friends talking about how "they" would have done it, and how "they" would have attacked the bad guys. It's just a movie, fellas.

That's why I am also looking forward to the LOTR trilogy. Unlike D&D, LOTR has a set plot and storyline. So, if it sucks, it's because the people who made the movie suck, not because the story sucks.

So, I guess my final oppininion on the D&D movie is that it was a Star Wars clone. You've got the princess, the senate, the bad guy in the senate. It's not worth full price. But it is worth a $3.50 matinee. Like jedigal said, if you go in expecting it to be hilliarously bad, then you should enjoy it. I thought that it was actually better than I expected. That's all I have to say about that :)

11. Darth_Athena

Darth_Athena Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2000
    I enjoyed the movie, but considering I have never experienced the game, and I went with a crazy friend of mine who looks like she could be my sister, adn we are both huge sifi/fantasy geeks... well It was fun. And it was even better when you add in the fact that I didn't have to pay, and I got to bother 2 former managers of mine (one of whom I like), it was an enjoyable night.
    Granted, the acting may have sucked, but the special effects were awesome. Though I dislike the fact that the Empress didn't even ask the Dragons if they wanted to fight!

12. jedigal

jedigal Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 21, 2000
    I still haven't seen, but still plan to. Maybe at the $1.50 show. Since I can't go free like DA.

Ya know, Josh, good point about the differences between making something that has SET parameters like LOTR, and something that has a huge variety of possibilities like D&D. I would have been throwing popcorn at your friends. What they would have done different. Hmph. The point is they weren't the ones making the movie. If they have such good ideas, maybe they should make the NEXT D&D movie, b/c I am SURE they'll be more. It's a realm ripe for exploitation.

And I would just like to say, for the record, that there is no shame in liking bad movies. I know that I myself like a LOT of bad movies. And I'm betting that this will turn out to be one of them.

13. JediLars

JediLars Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 27, 2000
    Well, I saw the movie last night and the CGI was excellent. Personally they could have done a better job with the script. They just didn't get into the characters as much. The actors were over acting and the sceens were quite predictible. It was a great B movie.

I did though see the trailer for Mummy returns that looks coool. And I do believe the ILM is working has done the CGI again for this movie.

JediLars

14. JediGemini

JediGemini Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmmm.... Should I see it, should I not see it? Should I see it, should I not see it? I guess it depends how I feel that day. If I want some action and adventure I probably will. If not, then I won't.
    But if you're gonna see one movie this month, go see "Dude, Where's My Car?" Seriously. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.