main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Durge to be Cloned? Why wasn't Durge further considered?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by The Sith Camp, Mar 22, 2015.

1. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    As usual - today I was doing some house-cleaning and suddenly I came across my 2003-2005 animated Clone Wars cartoon toy figurine of Durge; I like Durge alot myself - but I find it odd how Durge wasn't in The Clone Wars - that is the 2008 animated series or the fact surely it would have been interesting if he could have been cloned against the Republic's Clones eh? Given considering Durge himself:

1.) He's like Doomsday of Star Wars given how he can't really be killed by regular conventional means and he has rapid healing and regeneration ... plus regular weapons and even Lightsaber strikes; whilst they can still 'cut him about' and disable him - they won't really kill him for good ...
    2.) He's had 2000 years - if not at-least centuries of experience taking down many ...
    3.) His hatred of Mandalorians - given how they tortured him and left him buried for 60 years under-ground...
    4.) He did work for Count Dooku and the Separatists - he did get his 'chance' to strike back at the Mandalorians in the form of the Republic Clone Troopers ... and how he hated Jedi too given he claimed '"You know, it's been over a century since I killed a Jediā€¦ and today, I'll get to kill four of you. Add that to the Gungans I already murdered, the hostages I'm going to kill later, and all the Naboo who will die tomorrow, and it's a damn good week."
    5.) He surely would have been runner up next to Jango Fett or Cad Bane for the matter - although Durge has brute berserker strength and also experience - probably more so than either of them ...

So wouldn't an army of cloned Gen'Dai Durge warriors be a literal havoc and trouble for many - and perhaps only very powerful Star Wars characters could duke it out with them (though perhaps not easily) given Anakin had to partially BFR Durge but only after Durge had given him quite a beating and the fact Durge got injured by explosive charges to the face ...

2. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Because Filoni and Lucas are stubborn and hate anything EU that they didn't make. (They worship Ahsoka and Jar Jar respectively. )

3. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Hello again! Well - canon or not - or EU - Durge was like the Doomsday of Star Wars eh? And the fact he's practically one of the oldest characters by the Clone Wars come to think of it - given his Gen'Dai heritage ... and come to think of it - Durge would have surely been able to easily knock down Jango Fett or Cad Bane ... although they could put up a fight or out-smart him - although Durge has got centuries of experience ...

4. Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn

Lt.Cmdr.Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 23, 1999
    Moved to SWTV.

5. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I wouldve preferred Durge to have been a human or a genetically modified human. The T-1000 /gum-like creature I didnt care for on the micro-series. Durge certainly looked better than Cad Bane imo. They should reintroduce Durge on Rebels but its doubtful.

whostheBossk likes this.
  6. The Sith Camp

Mar 10, 2015
    Hmm - but wasn't Durge effectively 'dead' prior to the end of the Clone Wars? Unless they revamp his story and that 'his cell DNA samples were obtained' and cloned ...

Interesting you didn't care much for the Micro-Series Durge - as a 'T-1000/Gum Like Creature' - really? Better as a GE Human - interesting ... may I politely ask - why is that?

Although I reckon they should have given Durge more 'bounty runs' by the 2008-2014 Clone Wars Series to be honest - particularly in 'The Box...'

7. Werebazs

Werebazs Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2013
    Thank the maker he wasnt't brought in! He was the only thing worse in the microseries than Grievous. He's a typical garbage Tartakovsky idea. The guy should've been fired from the helm of the microseries the moment he came up with this idiotic concept for a character.

cwustudent likes this.
  8. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I didn't care for Durge much either. I just don't like the indestructible, uber villains that much. People like Palpatine, Talzin, Dooku, Maul, etc. are enough as far as supernaturally powered villains. Going with the comic book comparison, I hate Doomsday too, for that matter. He's incredibly uninteresting and they pretty much just made a gray Hulk with bony spikes as a lazy character to kill Superman. More cunning, yet physically less imposing characters like Joker and Lex Luthor stand higher as iconic villains for a reason.

Durge similarly just seemed like a very lazy idea.

"What kind of villain would be a real threat to the Jedi?"
    "How about some super old indestructible guy that they have to send into a star to destroy!"

I'm all for strong villains too, don't get me wrong. Palpatine himself was very powerful, as were his apprentices. But characters like Bane are written better than ones like Durge IMO, since their vulnerability forces the writers to depict them as more cunning and having to outwit the Jedi to stay ahead. They become more like a Lex Luthor to the Jedi. Characters with invulnerability or immortality just are lazy decisions, IMO. Durge... Palpatine clones... Vitiate... all really bad character decisions IMO.

If they ever did fold him into canon, I would prefer they scale back his abilities quite a bit. As for why they didn't clone home in the EU, who knows? But Dooku was also depicted as being anti-alien in the EU, so it's possible that figured into the decision. He picked the best humanity had to offer, not necessarily the best the galaxy had to offer (speculation).

9. Gahmah Raan

Gahmah Raan Jedi Master star 3

Feb 2, 2015
    IMO, invulnerable or immortal characters are at their best when they have interesting personalities, said invulnerability is used for horror (such as Lovecraft-esque monstrosities) or comedic purposes (like Deadpool), and/or have other weaknesses. They could be long-lived or have regeneration abilities, but there needs to be more limits to it than just vaporization. So in other words, not really that immortal.

Interestingly, before they created Cad Bane, Durge was originally considered for TCW 2008 but reimagined as a human, so they clearly planned to nerf his capabilities (unless that was just because of technical limitations at the time the series began). I'll admit, I did like him not because he was nearly invincible, but because he was a freak of nature and not like anything else I've seen in the Star War universe up until that point (I was slightly disappointed to learn what he looked like underneath his helmet).

Werebazs No, Durge was not made by Tartakovksy. He was made by Lucasfilm employees for the 2003 Clone Wars multimedia project in general, not just the microseries.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    Cad Bane Was going to be durge but that was scrapped.

11. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    He was "considered" to be in the show, he wasn't "going to be" in the show :p

12. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    I said he was going to be in the show but that was scrapped.

13. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    Mod EDIT: No need for name-calling.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  14. TheAvengerButton

TheAvengerButton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 2011
    Hipsters consider themselves too hipster for Star Wars, so I don't think he comes off as a hipster.

As for Durge, eh. Cad Bane is a cooler character in my opinion. He's my all time favorite bounty hunter in the SWU.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and TaradosGon like this.
  15. Werebazs

Werebazs Jedi Master star 1

Mar 20, 2013
    And if I were like you, I'd say you're a bandwagoner with no opinion of your own. But since I'm not like you, and it's rude to insult others for their opinions, not to mention it's OFF topic, since this thread is about what the forums members think about Durge not being in TCW, not about what someone thinks about someonelse because of their opinion about Durge not being TCW, I'm not saying it.

16. sarlaccsaurs-rex

Apr 10, 2007
    First of all there is nothing I hate more than casual bandwagon fans. Second of all I'm tired of all the hate the microseries gets, especially since it didn't roll over the EU like Filoni's TCW did. Not that I don't like TCW, I just think the microseries is vastly underrated.

17. Jedi Knight Fett

Feb 18, 2014
    Since when did the micro series get hate?

18. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    There was nothing about Durge that I liked. Hope to never see him again.

19. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Durge was cool looking and in his first appearances in Republic. Works better as a human.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

whostheBossk likes this.
  20. TetsuAero

TetsuAero Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 24, 2008
    It's all about the wording here ;)
    "Going to be" implies that he was planned to be in. Which he wasn't.
    Anyways enough about that

Yeah, he definitely looks better in human format, well at least the armor does :D

whostheBossk likes this.