main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Durge?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Jedi_Knight_Jonas, Dec 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    Thats a pretty lame description they gave on the star wars website of all places. If this guy has survived 2000 years of combat then why isn't he ruling the friggin' galaxy (sarcastically said of course) or at the very least have some sort of immense galactic reputation. If he had 2000 years of combat experience, he would have swatted Obi-wan down like a flea (even with Obi-wan using the force). Overall, he sounds like a lame/bad character concept.

It seems like for every 1 good thing they have thought of in the Prequel-era they have made 20 really stupid things up at the same time that make next to no sense what so ever (yet the fan-base does everything in their power to justify the lame stuff to have it make some sort of sense).

2. Tremaniac

Tremaniac Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 26, 2002
    Midnightgaurd, I have to say, I am in complete agreement. Why exactly does he have to be that old? Why does he have to be that type of race? I'll tell you why. The people who write this dreck up are munchkins. It ceases to be science fiction and gets into the realm of fantasy. Why don't they just come clean and import Elminster and be done with it already?

3. DarthArraKul

DarthArraKul Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 30, 2003
    hey hey hey... don't shoot the messenger..

i am just trying to give this as much credibility as can be found, again we are dealing with an EU topic here, so lets keep in mind that it does not please everyone.

i have to agree that there is little point in the extra long life of the character, but thats what the higer-ups allowed, so thats what we are stuck with.

on the other hand, star wars has always been more fantasy than science fiction. there is very little legit science in star wars, i like to look at star wars as more of an adventure than anything else.

and finally on the subject of durge (( and the rest of the characters in clone wars )) , nothing is worth the amount of grief and the bashing that this topic brings up. best advice , when you want to know more about a character, research and make up what fits in your game

4. Midnightguard

Midnightguard Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2002
    Sorry DarthArrakul, didn't mean to come off that way towards you. I'm just overall disappointed with the way things have been butchered in the Star Wars universe since the prequels have started coming out.

I still love Star Wars immensely and it is my favorite RPG to play still. I've just been really disappointed overall with the way things in the Star Wars universe have been developed. I can understand that Lucas won't please everyone and that some mistakes will happen that he doesn't see as mistakes... but the shear number of bumbles (in my opinion) and how the over-protective fanbase looks at it all thru rose colored glasses has just really worn on me. Believe me, I've enjoyed the prequels... but I just don't get that same excitement (or any feelings remotely similar) that I do when I watch the original trilogy or read some of the earlier EU novels.

I just get the overwhelming "sell-out" feeling with all the new stuff that is released and that it is more about flash and making money than it is about substance and telling a good story... even though most of it has alot of potential.

Anyway, sorry for getting so off-topic.

5. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm still not sold on this. Everyone thought Fett was king turd of crap hill after seeing OT, but while his stats were good in d6, they were hardly God of Killers material. Yet here is a character that will never see the movies, created solely as fluff, and with d20, he's the equivolent of a super munchkin. Perhaps this is why it's so hard to get my group to convert to d20.

6. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    ok, as far as being worried that you will end up with an overpowered character in D20, the chance is just as big in D6 . i have played both, and am an experienced Gm for both. just to give an EXAMPLE, Darth Vader is just as scary in D6 as in D20, and you need to use the same tactics to beat him in either game system.

like i said earlier, i am not saying that i approve of or like the durge story that is there, but a high level character such as durge would not throw off game balance in a rpg using obi, ani, mace and the boys. as a matter of fact as GMs you need to look at your PC group, which in this occasion would consist of OBI and some clone npcs on his side and see what type of villian would work, durge would be a good choice to challenge obi, but not impossible to defeat.
    now, is it a good idea to throw a big bada$$ like durge , dooku, maul or whatever in with everyday PCs... NO, it's a piss poor idea. but lets face it, we all are unable to resist throwing in someone else's cool idea when we see it..LOL .. i am just as guilty of doing it as everone else. what it comes down to is what works for each RPG group... but hell that's what makes it fun, our big opportunity to still play in the star wars universe( alternae, expanded , or otherwise) even tho we have outgrown the action figures.

7. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    Ok, first off, I don't think I've ever outgrew the action figures! Especially some of the newer ones that get me back into the spirit of collecting.
    As for Vader being equally dangerous, I disagree. One lucky dice roll can end him just like that in d20. At least in d6 he had several force powers at his advantage that made him a truly scary individual. But barring the critical hits, if you look at the NPCs in d6 and d20, you're going to see a munchkins world of difference between them. I'll be the first to admit WEG was far from perfect doing things. There was a case of NPCs either being too powerful or too weak, with little in the middle. However, at least there were some underpowered types there for comparison. d20 feels the need to overpower everyone, every time a new sourcebook comes out. Sadly, they tend to underpower key NPCs (Anakin should've been at least Jedi Guardian 6, based on lightsaber ability alone!). The result is a Chosen One who's a gonk, and NPC villians that make me yearn for the days of ThermoNuclear Handgrenades! Suffice to say, if I ever do GM d20 again, I won't be using EU villians.

8. DarthArraKul

Jul 30, 2003
    sorry Trem.. wasn't taking any shots, hell i still buy the figures. what i should have said was playing with the action figures..lol

i see what you are saying, and i can't say that i completely disagree. the nice thing about WEG was that it made up many many villians for GMs to uses, Crackens threat dossier was awsome. what i generally try to do with D20 is guage my baddies so they would be a challenge for the heros, most of the ones that are found in the books are most definitely overpowered, but i take that with a agrain of salt, in addition, the ease of killing opponents with crits is the reason i like the old fashioned maiming rule, keeps things interesting as far as story goes, and i use it eavenly with PCs/NPCs..

in addition i aplogize to anyone who cares for getting so far off topic...

hope everyone has a good holiday

9. Tremaniac

Feb 26, 2002
    I'm thinking if/when I GM d20 again I'll just have to go through NPCs and slash levels as I see fit. Should that happen, I'll post what I came up with. Until then, back to the D6 till for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.