main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga - PT Dustland Fairytale (Beru/Owen, Luke - 2012 Dear Diary Challenge) - Fin Sept 9

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Briannakin , Jan 1, 2012.

1. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    Title: Dustland Fairytale
    Author: Briannakin
    Timeframe: Post-AOTC through inter-trilogy
    Characters: Beru Whitesun Lars, Owen Lars, Luke Skywalker
    Genre: Angst, Baby-Mush
    Notes: Written for the 2012 Dear Diary Challenge. Please note: I will NOT be doing a PM list for this diary. I am however, going to try to post every second Sunday. If I know there will be a change in the schedule, I will try to let you know before-hand.

Entry Number: 1

Oh my! I can?t believe I am starting a diary at my age. I used to do this as a small girl. But Owen did give me this beautiful new data-pad for a wedding present. It would be a shame not to use it.

Let me do an introduction entry. I used to always do that when I started a new diary as a girl.

My name is Beru Whitesun Lars. I am 20 years old and I have been married for exactly one week. My husband is Owen Lars. We met a few years ago in Anchorhead and I have been in love ever since. I?ll admit, Owen is a bit rough around the edges, but once you get past that, he truly is a big softy.

He took me to sweet-hearts canyon to propose at sunset after we had been dating for a year and a half. We were wed six weeks later.

It was a small ceremony. I wore my Mother?s lace wedding dress and he wore a dress tunic and pants. My entire family was there and my father walked me down the aisle. Owen?s father and a few of his friends were there too.

Owen and I had a beautiful honeymoon in a hotel in Anchorhead that one of my sisters, Dama, owns. Now we are home at the Lars homestead. Owen is just getting ready for bed and I am already in it.

Cliegg, Owen?s father, gave us this homestead and farm as a wedding gift. He still lives here, of course. He was severely injured when Shmi, his wife and Owen?s step-mother, was taken by Tusken Raiders and he tried to rescue her.

Shmi died after her son, Anakin tried to save her. Anakin is a Jedi. He came here with a senator he was protecting, Padme Amidala. Padme and I became friends while they were here and I hope, one day, to see her again. I see Anakin all the time in the news. He is the poster boy for this dreadful war going on.

Anyways, back to Shmi and Cliegg. We all miss Shmi terribly. She was such a kind woman. But Cliegg has changed since she died. He used to be so full of life, now he barely comes out of his room. I am worried about him. Perhaps I will try to get him out for a stroll tomorrow, since it is now my duty as woman of this family to care for him while Owen works out in the field.

I think Owen is almost done in the ?fresher. I?d better save this and go.

2. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hi! Great IC tone for Beru-being thoughtful and warm.
    Nice premise for how she got the diary and decided to start one. :)

Super summary about Shmi and her loss's effect on Cliegg. I can very much believe he would be shattered, and that Beru's patience and strength, if anything, can bring him out of his desolation. @};-

3. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Glad to see you doing this diary! I look forward to the baby mush. :D

4. Falcon

Falcon Chosen One star 10

Feb 7, 2002
    Great start and I'm looking forward to the baby mush as well :)

5. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Great start and nice to see more of Beru

6. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Lovely!

7. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    Great start, Bri!

I think you captured Beru's gentle tone very well.

8. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    awwww, I love Aunt Beru!! And Baby Luke--can I say that I burst into tears when he was born in ROTS? I waited the entire movie for that. And then at the end when he was safe in his aunt's arms--ginchy was gone. :_| Can't wait for more!!

9. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Jade_eyes: Thanks. I am really trying to get into Beru?s head for this. Unfortunately, Cliegg is just too broken, even for Beru to fix him.

JM: Thanks. Unfortunately, we have to get through some angst before the baby mush, but don?t worry, there will be a lot of baby mush.

Falcon: Thanks, put up with a bit of angst and you will get your mush.

earlybird: Thanks. I?ve wanted to do a Beru fic for a while now.

Misty: Thank you.

Hazel: Thanks. I?m trying hard to get a good feeling for Beru.

ginchy: I love Aunt Beru too. You can say that. For me, when Luke was placed in Beru?s arms was my favorite part of the PT. Please put up with my next little bit of angst. You are going to melt come April (yes, it?s going to be THAT long before Luke comes in ? sorry!)

10. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Entry Number: 2

I am too distressed right now. I need to write or else I will cry.

My attempts to get Cliegg up and about have been futile. He never comes out of his room now and today, he wouldn?t let me in to feed, bathe, dress him or even just to talk to him. He would bark at me every time I tried to enter his room.

So when Owen got home from his day in the fields, I told him to go check on his father. He did and he immediately came out, ordered me to call a doctor, then went back into his father?s room.

I did as I was told, then went into Cliegg?s room to see if I could help. When I entered, it was clear that he had a high fever. He couldn?t focus, he was extremely confused and he was drenched in sweat.

?Doctor Kenli is on her way. Is there anything I can do to help?? I asked as Owen was stripping his father of his bed-clothes.

?Shmi,? Cliegg moaned. ?I want Shmi.? Yes, he was extremely confused.

Owen and I both cringed. ?Just get me a cold cloth and go wait for Kenli.?

I did as I was told.

Doctor Kenli came and went. She gave him a few fever-reducers and he was back to himself. According to her, Cliegg has an infection, brought on from his amputated leg. He can get better, but he needs to be put into a bacta-tank to clear his infection.

Owen was about to tell her to get a medi-speeder here so she could transfer him to a medcentre, but Cliegg stopped him. He said the treatment would cost too much and he did not want to burden us with debt.

He and Owen argued a bit, but finally Owen decided to obey his father wishes, even though it means that Cliegg probably won?t survive.

I don?t think Cliegg wants to survive. No. I think he has given up the will to live. I think he wants to be with Shmi.

It is late now. Owen is with his father, trying to make him more comfortable. The doctor left many pain killers and fever reducers so Cliegg won?t suffer. And Owen will be at his father?s side until he does decide to leave us.

11. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    That was so sad. :_|

I love the way you portray Owen as the dutiful son. Poor Beru does everything she can.

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Wow, you know that must've been heart-wrenchingly hard for Owen too :( - something else to blame Anakin Skywalker for in a sideways fashion perhaps [face_thinking] ... Makes any spill over resentment of Obi-Wan and fear for Luke even more understandable. @};-

13. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    It makes sense and seems in character for Cliegg to not want to burden his family that way. I can imagine that he was very much like Owen (when we see him in the OT) in that respect.

14. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    like father like son. You can see Owen and his arguing with Luke

15. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    A sad day!

16. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    AN: Thanks for reading you guys! My 'company' last night has left me frazzled, so I am not doing replies, but thank you all. I usually update this early Sunday morning, but I was so irk from my company that I got ginchy to take away my laptop so that I wouldn't kill Luke Skywalker 8-}

Entry Number: 3

I can?t believe this has happened. I can?t believe I am writing this.

Cliegg is dead.

He went peacefully in his sleep. Owen was with him. I called the doctor who pronounced him dead.

Owen felt it necessary to bury him the next morning, so we did. We buried him beside Shmi. He is at peace now, I just know it.

Owen has been rather distant since his father has passed on. He hasn?t talked much and he has thrown himself into his work. I try to get him to talk to me, maybe even cry ? he hasn?t cried at all, unlike me, I?ve been a mess ever since Cliegg got sick.

I am going to visit my family tomorrow. Maybe some time alone will help Owen. I can only hope so.

17. Hazel

Hazel Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2010
    :( Hugs to Beru and Owen. [:D]

18. Lady_Misty

Mar 21, 2007
    They need hugs! [:D][:D][:D]

19. earlybird-obi-wan

Aug 21, 2006
    Touching update. [:D]to Beru and Owen

20. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Yeah, Owen doesn't seem like someone who's very open with his feelings. I hope he opens up to Beru soon.

21. Toni

Toni Jedi Master star 1

Jul 11, 1998
    Just found this - sad chapter, but love the overall premise - Beru isn't in fanficiton very much for the person who riased Luke. Hope you keep going!

22. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Yes, I'm going to hold onto this laptop until your homicidal urges against my Farmboy go away!!! [face_shame_on_you]

And I'm sorry I missed an update!!! I don't know how I did that. But I love how you're writing Beru and I'm so sad about Cleigg. He did what Anakin and all his powers could not do: Free Shmi and love her without fear.

I can't wait to read more, gal!!

23. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What a wonderful use of Beru's POV. Her tone of voice is great!

So sad that she was trying so hard with Cliegg, but sometimes people are so miserable, the life leaves them before their body does. I've seen it many times and it's always heartbreaking. :(

I look forward to more!

=D=

24. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Yes, time alone might just be the thing [face_thinking] just so the keeping distant thingy doesn't become a habit :( :(

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    Thanks for reading and reviewing guys. One of these updates I will actually do proper replies (it's 1:30 in the morning and my Internet hates me). Just a note. The next few updates will be sad and a bit dark, but it will get better. Beru's mental state will be important when she receives Luke.

Entry Number: 4

I went to see my family a few days ago. Owen?s silence and refusal to talk had just gotten to me. After dinner, I kissed him goodbye, took the speeder and left.

I arrived and was greeted by all my siblings ? Dama, Hero, Bruin, Jamene, Marla, Frean and little Juja ? and my mom and dad. My dad took me in his arms and held me for a while. He knew the past few days had been hard on me.

Eventually, we got to the living room where my mother served tea. My younger siblings recalled recent adventures and distracted me from my worries.

I was about to get up to get ready to go home because it was starting to get dark, when I felt a sudden sharp pain in my lower abdomen. I screamed and looked down. Blood covered my skirt.

?Beru?? my dad asked, concerned. ?Are you pregnant??

I became worried. ?No, not that I know of.? Then it hit me. I had been pregnant. I had just miscarried. I broke down into hysterical crying.

My mother and father held me for a long time. Eventually, my dad told Hero to take my speeder and he got me into the back of my family?s speeder. He held me and my mother drove.

When we got back to the Lars homestead, my dad helped me out of the speeder while my mom talked to Owen.

?Wha- what happened?? he asked.

?Beru was pregnant, she didn?t know. I figure she was no more than a month along,? my mom explained. ?She miscarried. It was most probably due to stress.?

?Oh suns,? Owen mumbled. He then swooped me into a hug. He knows how much I want to be a mother, one day. ?It?ll be okay,? he soothed me, saying the most words he has said to me all week. He turned to my mother. ?Is there anything I should know??

?There will probably be more blood and more pain through-out the night. I?ll come back in the morning to make sure she is healing.?

After my mother spoke, Hero said, ?I will come back in the morning as well to help you with the chores, Owen.?

My dad, mom and brother left.

I soon found myself in a warm sanisteam, washing the blood off my body. I began to cry once again. I grew mad, angry at the gods and myself. I pounded the white porcil-plaster walls until my knuckles bled. I continued to take my anger out on the wall until I felt Owen enter the sanisteam. He grabbed my fists and wrapped my arms around my chest.

?Stop it!? he said, rather sternly. ?Just stop!?

I fought, in vain, to get out of his grip. By this time, the soap had washed out of my hair and body and the timer has run out, turning the water off. ?Let go of me, Owen!? I screamed. I tried kicking his knees, but I slipped. Owen caught me and lowered me to the floor where I continued crying.

He dried me, helped me into my nightgown and guided me to the bed where he mended my hands.

As he got into his night-wear, I asked him, ?Why did this happen??

He embraced me in a tight hug. ?Because for some reason, the suns and stars know this is not the right time. You will find out why this happened, but not yet.?

I accepted his answer and let him hold me the entire night.