main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Duty - Obi Wan AU - Completed 20 Oct. Thank you from the author!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Sabe126, Aug 7, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabe126

Sabe126 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Title - Duty

Author - Sabe126

Rating ? PG13

Category ? Alternative Universe. Drama, romance. Set during AOTC and the previous ten years.

Spoilers: Major spoilers for The Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. Don?t read if you don?t want to know what happens in the films.

Summary - While watching Attack of the Clones for the third time, I wondered what personal feelings Obi Wan had to lay aside in order to fulfil his duty to the Jedi Order. This is the result of those musings.

Feedback - Please, this is my first fan fic.

Disclaimer - The Star Wars universe, characters, etc belong to George Lucas and Lucas Film Ltd. The quotes from AOTC, PM and ANH belong to Lucas Film Ltd and their respective scriptwriters. Moulin Rouge belongs to Baz Luhrmann and Fox. The quotes from various songs belong to the writers. These will be listed in the relevant sections. As will the quotes from other fan fics. The character of Mia belongs to me. This story is for entertainment only and no profit is being made. No copyright infringement is intended.

Thanks to Arwyn for your encouragement.

Prologue

?Anakin, don?t let your personal feelings get in the way!?

Obi-Wan tried desperately to make his Padawan understand that at that moment, his duty was to the mission, Dooku must be stopped at all costs. As hard as it was to leave Padmé, possibly for dead on the sand dunes of Geonosis, he had sworn an oath to the Jedi Order, which must be kept. Anakin had come to his senses and realised that Padmé would have done the same, her duty as a Senator came before all other feelings.

As he thought back to this heated exchange, safe aboard the Republic cruiser taking him, his wounded Padawan, Padmé, and the surviving Jedi back to Coruscant, Obi-Wan reflected that events could have turned out very differently. As it was, the galaxy stood on the brink of war, the Jedi were sorely depleted in numbers and Dooku had disappeared, leaving behind him the information that a Sith Lord was manipulating the Senate.

Kenobi shook his head, this he could not believe but the idea would not be silenced. At least that was what he tried to tell himself. No it wasn?t that, that had been lurking unbidden and unwanted at the back of his mind, since his heated exchange with Anakin. Try as he might, he could not stop the memories tearing forth from the recesses of his mind, where they had lain dormant for six years.

He knew how much effort it had taken Anakin to turn his back on someone for his duty to the Jedi Order. When he himself had had to do this, those words had not come from his Master, nor from a comrade but from the woman he had loved.

2. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Hi Sabe! Glad to see you posted the prologue! That's great! Looking forward to the rest! :D

3. yoda4982

yoda4982 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 10, 2002
    very good, can't wait to see how this plays out

Yoda

4. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Arwyn and Yoda thanks for reading! :)

Here is the next installment....

Disclaimer ? See main disclaimer. Also, lyrics to ?When Dreaming Ends? from the Moulin Rouge belong to Will Jennings and Joe Sample.

Chapter 1 ? Part 1 -The Dream

?And dread the day when dreaming ends.?

They moved swiftly in formation, armed guards flanking them. Alarms sounded, reaching for her blaster, she spun round to locate the danger.

Mia jolted awake, the alarm for leaving hyperspace sounded in her cabin. She made her way to the cockpit and slumped into a chair. ?We?re just coming out of hyperspace to change trajectory?, Mia nodded at the pilot. He smiled and turned back to the controls.

Mia sat looking at the back of his head. Obi-Wan Kenobi, Jedi Knight, the saviour of Naboo. She had to admit that she was still a bit in awe of him, one of the youngest Jedi Knights at only 21.

?Where?s Qui Gon??

?Receiving a holo from Master Windu, final instructions for our mission.?

Mia fought hard to contain her excitement; this was her first ever mission with her Master and not only that, his former Padawan was there too. During her time at the Temple she had heard all the stories about their missions, theirs were always the most dangerous, they had the highest success record and now she was actually involved in one. Picking up her train of thought, Obi Wan chuckled to himself, remembering how he felt on his first mission with Qui Gon. To tell the truth, he still felt that way, even though he was now a Knight, and this was his first mission with Qui Gon since Naboo.

Qui Gon, now fully recovered from his near fatal injuries he had received at the hands of the unknown Sith warrior, entered the cockpit. ?Mace says latest intelligence reports place Judge Bergia in the Outer Rim?.

Obi Wan turned to the navacomputer, ?Coordinates?? His hands froze over the controls, as Qui Gon gave him the coordinates, ?No, not there!?

? Where?? Mia asked, curious.

?Tatooine,? Qui Gon replied.

?The only place in the galaxy I swore never to return to?, muttered Obi-Wan.

Qui Gon smiled,? If I remember rightly, you had the easier job there, Obi-Wan.?

?How long until we get there?? asked Mia.

?Not long enough!? replied Obi Wan.

Qui Gon resisted the urge to roll his eyes; Tatooine wasn?t the worst place in the galaxy, although it did come close. ?3 days? he said.

He reached the door and turned back, ?and Mia??

?Yes??

?A Jedi does not seek excitement and glory, but what is right and just.?

Mia rolled her eyes that was one of her Master?s favourite sayings, ?and with good reason Mia. It is a lesson that a lot of Jedi,? he looked pointedly at Kenobi; ?seem to have a lot of trouble remembering.?

Kenobi scowled at Qui Gon?s retreating back. ?I always wished he wasn?t so good at that?, he said to no one in particular.

To be continued....Sabe126

5. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Sabe - very nice start - although you do realize Qui-Gon is coming across in his typical, Masterful-smug,oh-so-annoying persona.

Or maybe smugness - like beauty, etc. - is all in the eye of the beholder.

Intriguing beginning. Looking forward to more.

CYN

6. Knight-Ander

Knight-Ander Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2002
    Hmmm... Good start. I think I'll hang around for more.

7. IamZam

IamZam Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 19, 2002
    Cool!! Obi as human not god story. YEs!!
    keep going

8. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks for the feedback :)

Knight-Ander - please do stay!

IamZam - I am fairly new to Star Wars fan fic and am not 100% sure what you mean by 'Obi as human not god story'.

CYN - 'although you do realize Qui-Gon is coming across in his typical, Masterful-smug,oh-so-annoying persona'

I was really pleased to read that. When I wrote that scene I was trying to get across the look Qui Gon gives the Queen when he turns back to her after he tells her 'the queen doesn't need to know', in the 'trust our fate to a boy we hardly know' scene from PM.

The quote from your story is coming up in part 4 of this chapter.

Its midnight here, so I will post part 2 tomorrow morning.

Sabe126

9. jedi_bounty

jedi_bounty Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2002
    Good start for a great story! I plan to stick around to see how it turns out. Great job Sabe! I hope to see your next post really soon!

10. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Jedi_bounty, please do! Here is part 2...

Disclaimer: See Disclaimer in Prologue. ?Creatures of the underworld? from Moulin Rouge. Other italics from Star Wars: A New Hope. This belongs to George Lucas etc.

Chapter 1 - The Mission
    Part 2 - ?Creatures of the underworld?

?We can?t land on the outskirts this time, the Judge is being held in Mos Eisley, so we have to go there, we?d never make it back undetected? Qui Gon told them.

?Can?t be any worse than Mos Espa?, Kenobi muttered in response, as they began their approach.

Antilles Bergia, one of the chief judges from the Supreme Court on Coruscrant had been abducted on his way from his home world of Alderaan to the Supreme Court. In a week he was due to rule on the first hearing relating to the role of the Trade Federation in the blockade of Naboo. Jedi intelligence agents had traced the Judge as far as Tatooine.

?You are cleared to land in docking bay 94.?

?94?, Kenobi confirmed.

Mia sat behind him; she was dressed as a peasant girl, with her hair braided, to hide her Padawan braid. Qui Gon had decided that she would accompany him on his scouting mission, as their aim was to appear as a family, stopping on Tatooine, to restock supplies and pick up spare parts for their ship. He hoped that Watto hadn?t opened a shop in Mos Eisley!

?Ready Mia??, she nodded and followed Qui Gon to the ramp. ?I will report in, in an hour.?

?Ok. Good luck Mia? Kenobi said pulling her braid.

?Owww! ?

Qui Gon raised an eyebrow. ?Just getting into character,? Kenobi explained.

?Thanks!? she replied, elbowing him in the ribs and followed Qui Gon off the ship.

Mia bought food from the market, while Qui Gon scouted round for a spare parts dealer.

?I?ve found one that looks promising?, he said on meeting her in the market. Having secured the spare parts, Qui Gin arranged for Kenobi to pick them up that afternoon. Kenobi returned with them later that afternoon and had confirmed Qui Gon?s suspicions that the Judge was being held above the shop.

Mia keyed in the start up sequence, that way when Qui Gon and Kenobi returned with the Judge, they would be able to leave immediately. According to the chrono they should return soon, the shop was only a few streets away. From her knowledge of their former missions, it was obvious that the stumbling point always came on the way back to the ship. She stared out into the hanger, a plan forming in her mind.

Keeping half an eye on the dark hanger, she thought back to that morning. Mia was still amazed at the training bond between herself and Qui Gon. It had taken some getting used to; her former Master hadn?t developed that bond with her. Although he had started to teach her the basics, Mia had always felt that his mind had been elsewhere and that she was permanently kept at arms length. Not that she had seen that much of him during her six months as his Padawan.

Mia?s Master, Sifo-Dyas had disappeared under mysterious circumstances at around the time of the Battle of Naboo. With all the attention fixed on the Trade Federation and its blockade of Naboo, the disappearance of Master Sifo-Dyas on a visit to an unknown part of the galaxy, had gone unnoticed outside the inner circle of the Jedi council. Mia had been left behind at the Jedi Temple when this had occurred and had been unable to tell the council anything about her Master's frequent journeys away from Coruscant.

At Master Yoda?s insistence, six months after Naboo Qui Gon found himself with another apprentice, while continuing to keep a close eye on Anakin Skywalker?s progress as an initiate.

Mia scanned the hanger; they were on their way and as per usual were being pursued. The two Jedi and the Judge burst into the hanger, closely followed by several ?creatures of the underworld?, firing madly. Mia hit the ignition switch. Qui Gon was running with the Judge to the ship, while Kenobi blocked the shots, but it slowed his progress towards the ramp.

Suddenly Qui Gon shouted ?Duck!? All three threw themse

11. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    Nice little action sequence there. :)

I like the fact that she's a former apprentice to Sifo-Dyas. I haven't seen anybody delve into his possible background before.

Good job.

12. jedi_bounty

Jul 26, 2002
    Great post! I think I liked this one even better than the other ones(and I really liked the other two a ton!). Keep the story rolling Sabe! And maybe add a few more action sequences, you really know how to write them. And to add to that this one was a little funny to me! Mia knowing that Qui-Gon's and Kenobi's only problem would be getting back to the ship and then sure enough here they come, running back being chased by 'Creatures of the Underworld'. It was just funny how predictable they were.

13. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks everyone!

jedi_bounty - I am glad that it amused you! :)

Knight-Ander - As no one knows who Sifo Dyas was, I decided to use him, not sure yet where it will lead to.

re action sequences - I'm very pleased that you liked it. Its the first one I've written. Although I was thrown into a mild panic at the thought of writing more. I have one planned for chapter 4 but will try and include another one before that.

Did I get the reference to the docking bay right? It is 94 that the Falcon is in in ANH? I couldn't resist using it.

Ok here is the next part...

Disclaimer: See Disclaimer in Prologue. Quote in italics from Baz Lurhmann?s Moulin Rouge.

Chapter 1 - The Mission
    Part 3 ? The Judge?s Daughter

? All I could think about was her.?

?Obi-Wan, what do you think of inter-planetary relations?? Mia frowned at her data pad; politics could be so boring!

Receiving no reply she turned to him but he was staring across the gardens to where Qui Gon, Bergia and his daughter were talking. Resisting the urge to throw the data pad at his head, Mia sat watching him. They had been at the Judge?s home on Alderaan for a week, providing protection for the Judge and his 20-year-old daughter Tara, until new security measures were in place.

?Alderaan calling Obi-Wan Kenobi!!!?

?Huh??

?Do you believe that interplanetary relationships are a good thing??

?Yes, definitely.?

?Especially with Alderaan??

?Yes, especially with?? Obi-Wan realised what he was saying. ?Mind tricks only work on the weak minded Mia?. He stood up and disappeared into the house.

?But I didn?t?? Mia sighed; Obi-Wan sure was grumpy! Ever since they had arrived on Alderaan, he had been withdrawn and there was no other word for it, definitely grumpy!

Mia didn?t need to resort to a Jedi mind trick to discover what was wrong. And anyway, Padawans were forbidden to use them, even if they weren?t, Kenobi would be the last person she would ever attempt it on.

It was obvious that Obi-Wan liked the Judge?s daughter. Well, obvious to everyone but him! And Tara, well, she was hardly subtle for a political aide to the Royal House of Alderaan! Mia had seen through her attempts to find out all about Kenobi and had happily filled her in. Now, all they needed was a small push in the right direction, well maybe off a cliff would do it!

Dinner that evening was a huge source of amusement to Mia. Seated next to Kenobi and opposite Tara, she was perfectly placed to see the covert glances they gave each other when the other wasn?t looking.

She turned her attention back to the conversation between Bergia and Qui Gon.

?Although the leaders of the Trade Federation have been arraigned for a trial?

?Queen Amidala will be pleased? Kenobi, managed to drag his attention away from Tara for a moment.

?It won?t be as simple as that. It has only been agreed upon that there is a case for a trial. The Trade Federation has the right to several appeals before it even gets to court.? Bergia told them.

? Even after your kidnap?? Mia demanded.

?Unfortunately there is as yet no proof that the Federation were involved in the kidnapping and until there is, we can?t afford to cast aspersions?, Qui Gon told her.

Bergia turned to Mia and Kenobi, ?Tara must show you the sunset over the lake this evening, it is one of the most beautiful views on the planet.?

?Sorry, I have to get ready for saber practice, Mia told him, but I am sure that Kenobi would love to!?

Mia, rubbed her ankle where Obi-Wan had just kicked her.

?Well Obi-Wan?? Qui Gon asked?

?I have some things to do after dinner.?

?That?s ok,? Tara replied, ?Sunset isn?t for another hour.?

Mia kicked him hard in the shin, ?Umm sure, ok.?

Tara stood up, ?I will meet you at the path to the lake? and left the terrace.

An hour later, Mia was sitting on the terrace, still trying to understand inter planetary relations. If these were as hard to achieve as between Obi-Wan and Tara, it was amazing that the Senate had ever been formed!

?Mia, sorr

14. CYNICAL21

CYNICAL21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 8, 2001
    Very nice images of some lovely young people - and a crackerjack little apprentice for the Master. Sounds like she will be quite a handful for him. :D

And Obi with a crush? [face_love] Just perfect!

I'm looking forward to being quoted! :D

CYN

15. jedi_bounty

Jul 26, 2002
    Oh funny! Obi and Mia are acting just like little kids. Kicking each other under the table, getting into fights.

I love it!

And Obi with a crush that he doesn't seem to know about. [face_love]

I'll be on Saturday evening looking for the next post Sabe. :)

16. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks! In the next installment Mia will give Qui Gon something to worry about!

I think that deep down Obi Wan realises that he has a crush but he won't quite let himself fully admit to it! Hence the being very grumpy!

More later :)

Sabe126

17. Arwyn_Whitesun

Arwyn_Whitesun Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 13, 2002
    Great job, Sabe! Keep going! :D I too am loving the interaction between the characters.

18. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks Arwyn. :) Here is part 4....

Chapter 1
    Part 4 ? Feelings

Disclaimer: See disclaimer in the Prologue.

Lyrics to ?Silly Love Songs? from the ?Elephant Love Medley? from Moulin Rouge belong to Paul McCartney.

?Catch of the Temple? quote from ?A Little Night Musing? by Cynical21 used with permission from the author. Read the Trilogy at Whispers of the Force http://www.angelfire.com/scifi/angellibrary/

?Some people want to fill the world with silly love songs.?

It was such a shame that Jedi were not allowed to form attachments.

From the house Qui Gon had observed Mia talking to Obi-Wan on the terrace and watched him walk towards the gardens. Picking up the last of Mia?s thoughts over their training bond, he groaned inwardly, it seemed that Mia had a crush on Obi-Wan. Qui Gon had found training a teenage Obi-Wan a challenge but this threatened to test all his skills to the limit!

?I?ll just get ready?, Mia told Qui Gon as she entered the room.

Qui Gon cleared this throat and said ?Mia, I think we need to have a talk? and motioned for her to sit down. Qui Gon opened his mouth to speak but then stopped, how on Coruscant was he to broach this? Trusting to the force he went with the flow?

?Mia, I realise that to a teenage girl, Obi-Wan might be viewed as?? Qui Gon racked his brains to come up with a suitable description.

?The catch of the temple?? Mia asked.

Oh force, this is worse than I thought, sighed Qui Gon.

?Well, that is one way of putting it and I assure you that these feelings are perfectly normal and Obi-Wan would be flattered but they will pass.?

He was about to launch into the speech, a Jedi feels no passion, can form no attachments but stopped when he saw the look on her face. Mia was starring at him in horror.

?You think that I LIKE Obi-Wan??!!!!!!?

Qui Gon smiled at the look on her face.

?GROSS! He?s like an older brother and anyway he?s so old!?

At this Qui Gon had to fight back the rising laughter at the thought of the look on Obi- Wan?s face at being too old at 21!

?Then why did you call him ?the catch of the temple??

?That?s his nickname! Most of the female Padawans in my year are crazy about him. Why do you think he draws the biggest crowds at sparring practice??

?Is Obi-Wan aware of his fan club? Qui Gon asked, amazed at this information.

Mia rolled her eyes, ?Unless he is blind, I think so; it?s hard to miss them trailing the corridors after him!?

Qui Gon admitted that she had a point the Temple corridors were pretty crowded when Obi-Wan was around!

?And it would seem that the Judge?s daughter isn?t immune to the Kenobi charms either!? Mia continued.

Qui Gon was intrigued. ?And what does he think??

?He likes her, well once he admits it to himself. She likes him and I know that we are only here for a month but he deserves to have some fun.?

Mia left the room to prepare for practice, ?I can?t believe that you thought I liked him?!?

Qui Gon shook his head, ?Stranger things have happened, Padawan. Stranger things have happened!?

Kenobi had to admit that the view was breathtaking; he concentrated on this thought, rather than his feelings for Tara. He had been attracted to the Judge?s daughter since their arrival. And he had to admit that she was very easy to talk to and that he had enjoyed their walk.

? I will be leaving in 3 weeks and might never return,?

She laughed, ?I realise that, I wasn?t thinking about a long-term commitment. I know that neither of us is in a position to make that but what is there to stop us enjoying the time we do have??

? Nothing?, replied Obi Wan and he kissed her.

Chapter 2 starts tomorrow.

19. Knight-Ander

Jul 19, 2002
    A grumpy Obi-Wan, the "Catch of the Temple." [face_laugh] Too, too funny.

Keep up Mia's snappy dialog, I like it. :D

20. Cam_Mulonus

Cam_Mulonus Jedi Master star 4

Jul 29, 2002
    I love it! Nice job, Sabe. I especially like the way you wrote Qui-Gon. Post again soon.

21. jedi_bounty

Jul 26, 2002
    Ha ha ha [face_laugh] ! How could Qui-Gon think that Mia had a crush on Obi-Wan! Too funny! And it looks like the judges daughter has the 'Catch of the temple'! I can't wait to see your next postSabe.

22. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002

Knight-Ander - Keep up Mia's snappy dialog, I like it. Thanks! I will try.

Cam_Mulonus - thanks for reading I'm glad you like it! :)

Jedi_bounty - Thanks. Next post this evening, have to make a few changes.

Sabe126

23. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Disclaimer: See disclaimer in the Prologue.

Chapter 2 ? Mia
    Part 1 - Graduation

(During Attack of the Clones and 1 year after chapter 1)

Lyrics from ?Come What May? by David Baerwald.

I?ll be there by your side.

Obi Wan sat in the medical wing of the Jedi Temple, compared to those of his Padawan, his injuries were superficial but would still take awhile to heal. He didn?t want to go into a healing trance, he was thinking too much already. He stared into space as he waited for the healer to return, the examination of his wounds had also revealed heavy bruising from his fight on Kamino. The surprise of learning about the Clone Army had been heightened by the revelation that it had been ordered by Sifo-Dyas and his connection to Mia?his thoughts flew back to the vigil he had kept here 8 years before?.

Obi-Wan walked through the streets of Coruscant on his way back to the Temple. He had been away for over a month on a mission to Malastere and had been to visit Dex. He had hoped to catch up on all the latest news but when he had reached the Diner, he had found it overrun by 16-year-old Padawans. The latest group had graduated that day and seemed to have taken over most of Coruscant to celebrate!

Unable to talk to Dex he had decided to return home, entering the Temple district he was hailed by a group of Padawans outside a restaurant. Sensing their unease he broke into a run, he could see that they were supporting someone. He recognised the Padawan who had called to him, Rem.

?Master Kenobi, it?s Mia, she?s??

?How much has she had to drink?? Obi-Wan interrupted, taking the unconscious Mia in his arms.

?The same as the rest of us, we?re only allowed half a glass of wine each.? Rem replied.

Obi-Wan hailed a speeder. ?What happened??

? She just collapsed.?

During the journey back to the Temple, the driver breaking all speed limits, Mia drifted in and out of consciousness. Obi Wan held her hand and tried to murmur reassuring things, while one thought hammered at his brain ?Oh Mia, what have you done??

Qui Gon and the healers met him at the entrance to the medical wing of the Jedi Temple. Obi-Wan laid Mia on a bed in one of the rooms, and the healers began to examine her as the two Jedi were ushered outside.

?What did she take?? a healer asked.

? I don?t know, her friends said she had a drink.? Obi-Wan told him.

The healer returned to the room, Obi-Wan filled Qui Gon in on the little he knew, as his former Master paced the floor.

? I can?t believe that she would do something like this, she doesn?t drink.?

Healer Rixos entered the room; ?It appears that Mia has suffered a severe allergic reaction to something she drank.?

? Can?t you tell?? Kenobi demanded.

?We need to know exactly what it was, she is seriously ill; it has be the correct antidote. The wrong one could be fatal.? The Healer looked grave.

?She was with friends, Rem was one of them. I will find out.? Obi-Wan told Qui Gon and left the medical wing at speed. He reached the rooms that Rem shared with Master Fisto.

? Sorry Master Fisto, I need to speak to Rem urgently.?

Fisto led Kenobi into the living area. Rem jumped to his feet, ?How is she Master Kenobi??

?Not good, Rem.? Obi-Wan looked him straight in the eye, ?You are not in trouble but I have to know exactly what Mia drank tonight.?

? She drank the same as the rest of us; we had half a glass of house wine each.?

?Are you sure??

?Yes, that was all we were allowed.?

?Do you know the name of the wine??

Ren shook his head.

Obi-Wan turned to leave. ? I?ll have to go there.?

Master Fisto stepped forward, ?Its Alderaanian Nectar; I was there last week.?

? Thank you.? Kenobi was already out the door, speaking into his comlink. ?Qui Gon, its Alderanian Nectar, half a glass.?

When he reached the medical wing, he was told that Qui Gon was with Mia and was shown in. Qui Gon sat at her bedside holding her hand.

?They started the antidote, as soon we got your message.?

The chief healer beckoned Qui

24. jedi_bounty

Jul 26, 2002
    Oh no! :eek: What happens to Mia? ?[face_plain]
    Please let us know soon Sabe! Great post this time! :D

25. Sabe126

Jun 18, 2002
    Thanks, next post this evening.

Sabe126

Thread Status: