main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DVD Burning Question...Formats

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Nosh_Dir85, Feb 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nosh_Dir85

Nosh_Dir85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2003
    Since I know some of you burn DVDs, I was curious, I have my DVD file saved, and I am using the trial version of Adobe Encore (which is awesome by the way) and I go to build project, and it says there is the wrong media in the drive. However, I have a brand new DVD-R in it. The drive plays DVD movies ok, and I know it is a DVD burner, and I know it's not the program, so my ultimate question is, what is the difference between DVD-R and DVD+R? Will a DVD-RW work in a DVD player? Thanx

2. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    To read about the technical specifics of the DVD-R and DVD+R formats do a google search. I tried, but didn't find anything immediately - since I don't really care I won't put in further effort...

But:

DVD-R and DVD+R are both somewhere around 80% compatible with a variety of players. The largest factor in playability seems to be the quality of the media involved. My DVD player (Sony 5-DVD changer) can play all the formats I've tried: DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW and hasn't failed me yet.

It is possible however, that your DVD burner itself cannot burn +R disks... Look at the specs, but if it can, it likely has a "RW" logo on the front.

Also, make sure your Encore project is set to burn onto a DVD-5 (4.7 GB) format.

-Spiff

3. Jamball

Jamball Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 6, 2004
    I know that some DVD-R's won't burn with some DVD-R burners. I had a similar problem. I've got a pioneer A-somethingorother and mine won't seem to burn a certain type of TDK disc. I popped in a different brand and have had no problems since.

I found the most generic brand of DVD-R discs seem to work the best.

--Jamball

4. Nosh_Dir85

Nosh_Dir85 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 4, 2003
    Yeah, I couldn't find anything on google either, but besides that thank you all for the info. It seems that some brands don't play at all, wierd...

5. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    some brands don't play at all, wierd

No... it's not wierd. It's poor standardization and Quality Assurance. This irritates me to no end wrt the DVD industry. Hopefully they'll do better with the blue lasers.

-Spiff

6. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    The reason some brands don't play either dvd+or-R/RW is because they came around before the burnable media did. IE, early ps2's.

7. dr_modean

dr_modean Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2003
    I found this a while back that helped me.

DVD

8. Grapher

Grapher Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2001
    Early Playstation 2? You mean some Playstation 2 can read DVD-R and others can't?

I have a Pioneer DVR-106D and it's really great. I burned many DVD-R and they work in all DVD players... well, all the models I have access to. JVC, Panasonic, PS2, Sony, Mitsubishi, LG, etc.

EDIT: DVD disc are as important as the drives. Some DVD disc brands are really bad. I use Apple DVD-R discs (yeah, I have a Mac). However, my friends have PCs with DVD-R drives and they also use Apple DVD-R discs.

9. GeneralSkywalker

GeneralSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2002
    Also check out the DVD Format War.

Edit: And an interesting note, This site talks about a working prototype of a blue laser burner with a single sided dual layered dvd with a 30Gb capacity. And that article is almost a year old.

10. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Yes, when sony redesigned the ps2 (and a select few models before that), they made it compatible with burnt media.

11. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    DVDR Help.

For all your DVDR burning needs.

12. Ephisus

Ephisus Jedi Master star 4

Mar 30, 2003
    some early playstations won't play some PROFESSIONALLY distributed dvd's....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.