main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Roch, NY DVD Changes

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by -KnightShade-, Sep 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. -KnightShade-

-KnightShade- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    I'm sure that there are threads on this elsewhere -
    but I ran into a good review today:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarstrilogy.html

They have some great shots of changes between the 1997 and 2004 special editions:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges.html
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/starwarschanges02.html

I'm very glad that they changed the Jabba model used for ANH. The change from "English" to "Aurebesh" on control panels is interesting as well!

Unfortunately it sounds like Greedo still fires first :(

Guess we can't have everything

2. HothGirl

HothGirl Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 23, 2002
    Yeah not happy about the Greedo thing...

I'm also really not pleased with what they did to the spirts at the end of ROTJ. Ugh.

3. BlueRoommate

BlueRoommate Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 1, 2002
    I see it like this:

When I make a costume, it's never finished. It may be wearable, and it may look good, but it's never ever done. I always find a way to improve it. I think that GL sees his movies the same way. They are his own personal works of art, and should he decide to change them to suit his own vision of "good" then it's within his right. Just my $.02

4. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    I do not mind the changes that much. If I did I would not have seen the SEs in the theater so much or bought the tapes. My problem is his attitude toward the original theatrical versions. To him they do not exist, and the films have been changed for ever. Back in 1995 they said the originals one last time and they meant it. To take an individual or an individuals work out of a film and not offer the original versions anymore is wrong. Yeah tis his thing and he is the creator but eh should have more respect for the art. More respect for Film and pop culture History. I do not see him the way I used to. Unfortunately fans will have to turn to illegal practices in the future in order to witness and appreciate the hard work everyone put into the films originally. To appreciate them the way they were.

As for the new changes I was actually looking forward to some that I guess were just rumors. I am mostly buying these for the extras. Thats what I am the most excited about. I think it would have been cool if he added the tochi station scene.

5. -KnightShade-

-KnightShade- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 18, 2004
    I am still hoping that after Episode III hits DVD that we may see a "Collectors Box Set" that includes all 6 movies as well as the original releases of the Original Trilogy.

Probably just wishful thinking - and until then I have my Laserdisk set ;-)

6. STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB

STAR-WARS-FREAK-JPB Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2001
    Exactly. That's why I bothered to go through the trouble of getting them and getting more made for others. I knew that he meant what he is saying. Read the articles and you will understand just how serious he is about it, and one of the most controversial changes with the fans. He does not think of any of it as changes but as completing them. Editing either way putting in or taking out is part of that editing process supposedly. I just realized that this will be my 6th set of copies of these movies. I bet there will be an article soon about all the different releases of these films through the years. Beta, VHS, Laser disk, those analog disk things that were read with a needle I think. I still got my first copies, good old K Mart specials pan and scan. I think they cost me about $24. I should pop them in soon just for the fun.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.