main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DVD Format problems

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by fireresq7, Apr 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Hello all

I need some advice here ....you see, I was making a DVD for a friend. When it was done I played it on my DVD player (computer and the one in my room) and the DVD played fine. But when I took it to his place it did not work at all...does anyone know why this is?

I used Roxio DVD creator 6 and I am using a DVD+R

Any ideas??

~Rory

2. Zelmo

Zelmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 4, 2002
    Could be the DVD-R. What kind of player does he have?

3. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    I didn't take note. But I have a DVD+R is that bad?

~Rory

4. Zelmo

Zelmo Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 4, 2002
    DVD+R's aren't bad, they just might not work on everything. For example, my Playstation 2, which plays DVD's, wont play a DVD+R, but the DVD drive in my computer will.

400th post! :) :) :)

5. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Okay so DVD-R are the way to go....is there anyway to make the DVD+R's I make compadible?

6. Jedi_Spiff

Jedi_Spiff Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 2, 2003
    Actually, your chances are equally bad. Both types of media (+R and -R) have approximately an 80% success rate... but even this isn't concrete.

For example, one of the DVD-Rs I burned for my father won't play on his (Antec?) DVD player - but he burned himself a different brand of DVD-R and it plays fine. What it comes down to are the dyes on the media themselves, and the sensitivity and wavelengths of the DVD players they're played on. I'm not sure about this last one, but it could be that different burners affect the dyes differently as well. In other words, it's a total crapshoot - truly a pathetic standard. Also - don't use glue on labels. They have the tendancy to unbalance the disks, and result in media that won't track properly.

What I recommend is the following: buy several different brands and different types of DVDs. If you're burning a lot this isn't a problem, and just test them on individual players to make sure it works.

There is light at the end of the tunnel though - most newer DVD players are tested for compatibility.

-Spiff

7. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    DVDRHelp.com has reviews of most DVD players out there, and might have some articles about yours in specific and what the solution is.

~Neszis~

8. FoxMulder

FoxMulder Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 5, 2001
    It could also be that his DVD player's laser is getting worn out. Did you write it at the slowest possible speed (1x). This will maximise the compatibility of the DVD.

I have several DVD players at home, and the laser on one has worn out quite a bit, and can now only play DVD-Rs written at 1x.

9. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    thanks guys...Um I never thought of recording it at a slower speed...
    It could be the brand of DVD, but then again I do have a pretty thick DVD label on it. I guesss thats why they are selling "see through" ones now....

~Rory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.