main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DVD PAL speed up

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by BellyButton, Oct 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BellyButton

BellyButton Jedi Youngling star 2

May 28, 2002
    Is it my imagination or is there some obvious speed up on the PAL version of the DVDs?

Vader seems to walk very fast, virtually bouncing up and down in his stride for instance.

2. DarthyMarkyMark

DarthyMarkyMark Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2003
    I think PAL has always run one-frame-a-second faster than NTSC - it's not easy to make out in the visuals, but the soundtrack sometimes seems a bit higher than in the NTSC versions.

3. Bri-Nic

Bri-Nic Jedi Youngling star 1

May 29, 2004
    DarthMarkyMark is correct.

Film is 24 frames/second. Pal is 25 frames a second. The easiest way to port a film to PAL is to display 25 film frames per second. So, 1 and 1/24 or 1.0416666 seconds of the original film are played every second. This is why if you look up the pal versions of film on IMDB, they are always about 5 minutes shorter :)

NTSC uses a different method where it repeats every fourth frame in order to get to the full 30 frames/second but the speed and sound is synched to the original film print.

4. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Never knew that. I've lived both in the US and the UK so I have experience with both formats. I didn't notice the speed-up in the PAL DVDs.

5. dackthegunner

dackthegunner Jedi Youngling

Oct 4, 2004
    BRI-NIC-

How are you familiar with film speed? I am an AVID editor, and was just curious. I use the AVID dTective for police work, doing crime scene tapes, etc.

And he is right-NTSC is 30 frames per second.
    If you watched the PAL version on a European TV, there would be no problem.

6. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    And he is right-NTSC is 30 frames per second.

29.97, last I heard.

// not really contributing to thread, just sharing wacky technical factoid to confuse everyone :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

7. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    So does the home video industry have some problem with actually using 24 fps? Seems like that would be simplest and most obvious solution (which no doubt means that I'm missing something here).

BTW, in WinDVD, and probably other DVD playing software, there's an option to slow down PAL video and audio so it plays at the original speed.

8. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    When television was developed, standards were introduced. At the time I guess no one was thinking of incorporating movies into television. They were just trying to adopt something that worked well with the technicalities of the medium.

NTSC came about in 1940 to standardize American television at 30 frames a second (switched to 29.97 when color came along). VCRs (and now DVDs) are made to plug into televisions.

It's sort of like driving on the right or left of the road. It would be a hard thing for a country to change overnight. :p

Rick McCallum loves you!

9. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I saw the PAL version of the ROTJ DVD. Normally, I might not notice any difference. But with a movie I know so incredibly well, I noticed it a lot. Voices were higher, and everything was slightly sped up.

And yes, it takes a true, blue SW nerd to realise that things like pauses between lines were slightly shorter :p But the timing's all off, I'm telling you!

-sj loves kevin spacey

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    You mean the pause in Ian's "He would be a great......... asset" is longer in NTSC? :D Sweet [face_love]

Now, tell me, that leaked footage that was posted a long time ago here, of that scene, does that run with NTSC Audio Speed?
    I mean, there is no NTSC or PAL on computers, is there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.