main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:WA DVD release dates?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Shadow_of_Evil, Jul 4, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SoulKrusher

SoulKrusher Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2000
    When it comes to Mel Brooks I think Spaceballs & Men in Tights was his funniest work, maybe even Blazing Saddles, maybe.

2. Jedi Daniel

Jedi Daniel Chosen One star 5

Apr 7, 2000
    November 12th is the North American release date though :(

3. Shadow_of_Evil

Shadow_of_Evil Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 18, 2001
    BACK TO THE FUTURE DVD!!!!!!!!!
    I love that movie to death!!!
    That is by far the most important DVD on my list. Far far more important than AOTC. sorry but its true

4. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    anyone got the lord of the rings dvd yet, I saw it in a few stores already

5. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Nope. I'm waiting for the Box Set to come out. I can't wait for the Back to the Future Trilogy DVD Set. They are such great movies.

6. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Yeah Im waitin for Special Boxed set to! BUT.... that didnt stop me from hiring the LOTR 2 cd set out. HEAPS!!S!! of very cool stuff on these DVD, Havnt even watch the movie again from it, to much cool extra to go through at da moment, might have to SAVE a copy for later ;)

7. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Am i the only one here that hated LOTR?
    Grrrrr. You take the star wars characters and pit them againts the wussy LOTR characters you'll see whos better :)

8. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Ones SciFi Fantasy, the other is Mythical Fantasy. Their both completly different genre's so you have to look at them different and try not to compare. Everyone has their own opinion thou. :)

9. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I enjoyed the movie on its own merits but I was disappointed at the extent of the changes to the storyline. It wasn't Tolkien's story in my opinion but rather something quite different. The changes to characters in particular made characters like Aragorn and Frodo seem wussy compared to the way they were in the book.
    I'd hoped that, for a story that's considered the most popular story of our time, that more care would have been taken to stay true to the story. This wasn't just any old book they were turning in to a film. Non tolkine fans seem to like it but most long time fans I've spoken to were disappointed. It's obvious who the intended audience was ($). But enough of a rant.
    Good film to watch, but I can't see myself getting excited enough about the DVD to rugh out and buy it. I'll rent it.

10. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    StarWars.com has officially announced the AOTC DVD will be released in Australia on the 13th of November :)

11. Shadow_of_Evil

Nov 18, 2001
    Yeah i here ya SK! But i guess just the hype about LOTR got to me. And all the little brat kids who never shut up about it, even though i doubt they remember the story line :)

12. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    True, cant argue with you ther. :)

I just watched LOTR again last night, goda luv that head decapitation at the end...

...actually AOTC also has a excellent head decapitation at the end doesnt it. :)

13. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    Okay yesterday my mother bought the 2 disc DVD set of Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Rings.

I was very pleased to get the DVD set since it's a great movie. After watching the movie 2 times straight I decided to check out the extra features and was shocked to see there was hardly anything on it. I felt..sort of...ripped off.

There is no Audio Commentry, Deleted Scenes or any Special Effects Behind the Scenes specials. Most of the videos either come off the Official website or they are different videos that have the same dialogue over the top of them as the ones from the Official website.

For such a grand scale film I was expecting alot more on the DVD.

The best bit about the extra features are the interviews with the cast I thought as well as some of the TV Spots from American TV Channels.

I've also now been told that there is going to be a 3 disc DVD set and a 4 DVD disc set released in November this year. The 4 disc set has 35 minutes of extra footage put back into the film.

I don't think it's right o flood the market with the 2 disc set and then months later bring them out again to get more money off people.

Overall the DVD was kind of dissapointing and didn't live up to my expectations. I will wait for the LOTR's Trilogy DVD Box Set now since it seems the individual DVD's just aren't worth it in my opinion.

14. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Thats why I'm buying my in November, but yeah I thought it was kinda of funny that they advertise on the 2 cd set there is a 4 cd set (directors cut) version being released.

15. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    You can't really complain JD...... A lot of people mentioned the Colelctors Editions coming out in November..... If you were too impatient to wait till then you can't really blame the company, they are just trying to make money, but they didn't exactly hide the fact that a better one is coming out. You actually said earlier that you would wait anyway :p

DS

16. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    I didn't buy it Darth_Soup, my mum did and she didn't realize that there was another. I was just telling people about the 2 disc set just incase someone falls into the trap.

17. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Well I have even more exciting news for everyone that doesnt already know.

There is also a DVD Gift Set Box coming out which includes:

*4-disc Platinum Series Special Extended DVD Edition of The Lord of Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring

*New version of National Geographic DVD, Beyond the Movie: The Lord of the Rings, with additional footage and photo gallery

*Collectible Argonath polystone figures created by Sideshow Weta

*Exclusive Decipher trading cards

So there you go, you cant escape it. This version is coming out about 2 weeks after the Extended viewing version (4cds). AND THIS IS JUST THE FIRST FILM, SHEZZ! :)

18. Aztek

Aztek Jedi Master star 4

Apr 12, 2001
    I did buy the two disc set and I must say that I am quite happy with it, and I still have not even lanced at the second disk.

I don't know about everyone else, but the main reason I buy a movie is because I liked the movie, I'm not really concerned with how many extra features it has. I would have happily bought the one disk version had it been available where I got mine.

I for one will not even bother with the four disk set, I'm sure it will make a lot of people very happy, but it will probably not be my cup of tea.

JA

19. Darth_Soup

Darth_Soup Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    The following post is a joke, if you can't take a joke, do not read it.... if you do not find it funny, get a sense of humour.

Memo:
    To: Peter Jackson

RE: We have a security breach in the advertising dept.

Body:

Mr Jackson, it comes to our atttention that members of the public have becaome aware that the currently released "theatrical" edition of FotR is not the only one due for release, We think that some people have actually paid attention to your interviews, the global ad campaign, and many of the internet sites.
    In order to keep suckering people into buying all versions of this film, we need to take drastic steps for the home verison release of the Two Towers, and Return of the King.

1) Do not widely advertise that there are more versions coming out, people actually noticed this.
    2) For the next two films, don't include a sneak preview on the disc of an extended or box set version.
    3) Shut down the website, and all the promotional pages featuring the extended versions, it's come to our attention that some people have actually seen these sites, using a hacking program known as "internet explorer".
    We feel the above list shgould help us to eliminate the leaking of our devious plans to make people buy all the versions that will come out.

In addition, we won't have to use the all blacks or the NZ army to force people to buy them all after all, it appears that the main bulk of the public simply can't help themselves anyway.

20. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    I have to agree with JA in principle but not in practice. What I mean by that is that, I rarely actually watch the special features on my DVDs which proves his point, but that doesn't stop me from drooling over all the DVDs that have lots of special features. I can't help myself. :p

21. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Their are alot of crap extras on DVD's but when its a excellent movie with tons of extras (I go for all the Visual FX extras) I'll happily buy it. Its good to see how they made the film and its amazing how many tips you can pick up when it comes to making your own films. The good DVD's have heaps on useful info on them. So if its a good movie, why not find out how they put such a good movie together, thats what I reckon anyway.

22. SoulKrusher

Nov 25, 2000
    Alrighty then, here's another round up of upcoming releases for you all.

Not Another Teen Movie - 18th of September
    The Matrix Deluxe Edition - 16th of October
    Spiderman - 30th of October
    Attack of the Clones - 13th of November

Oh and I almost forget, Lassie comes out 2nd of November. :D

The Princess Bride is out NOW, I spotted it in our local Blockbuster store.

23. Stinky_jawa

Stinky_jawa Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2000
    Whats different on the Matrix dvd than the delux one I have already?

24. Jedi Daniel

Apr 7, 2000
    The Official Back to the Future Website has reviewed the Region 4 (Australian) Back to the Future Trilogy DVD Box Set. Has a detailed review of each disc. It sounds quite promising. I love the way they have done the menus. Very well done :) It's released on the 21st of August.

Click here to read the review.

25. Kartanym

Kartanym Jedi Knight star 6

May 23, 2002
    Saw that at the shops yesterday, looks good. I'll save up for that next (oh, and I noticed for those who don't have a DVD, that there is a three tape set with a few extras included after each movie. Not that anyone here doesn't have a DVD player by now ... is there?)

I picked up LOTR yesterday. The preview of Two Towers was a great bonus.

And that Matrix disc is the same DVD just packed with a few extras in the box, not the DVD itself (greedy money suckers). All you get extra are a few collector items, a movie poster, photo stills, lobby cards and a film image.
    For those who are yet to pick it up, KMart are selling the Matrix Revisited for 22.95. It's a great idea, just a disk full of extras. I wish some other directors (hint, hint Mr Lucas) would do the same.

Two things to keep in mind - there are two Spiderman sets coming out (much like LOTR really), a 2 disc set and a four disk set. The 4 disk set is the two disk Spidey movie, a Disk full of work by Stan Lee and his other creations, and the movie Soundtrack. Interesting. It comes out the same day as the 2 disk.

And finally, something that must be put on every wanted list, there is a 3 disk Monty Python set coming out on November 15th. It includes Life Of Brian, The Holy Grail and Live At The Hollywood Bowl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.