main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DVD Sales of the OT smash all previous records.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Blue_Jedi33, Sep 23, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004
    I've been told that inflation doesn't affect the worldwide totals (relative to each other) as much as some people think because the ecomomy changed differently in different parts of the world. ie. ticket prices may cost 3 times more in North America, but maybe they cost less than they used to in South Africa. That's probably why I couldn't find adjusted worldwide totals, it may not be possible to calculate them without knowledge of the economic histories of every nation where the films were released. That's my theory anyway. In any case, my other points are still valid.

2. RileyLewis

RileyLewis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 26, 2002
    (LotR is the highest grossing trilogy worldwide of all time, SW is 4th)

Adjusted for inflation:

Star Wars Trilogy: $2,274,008,200

Lord of the Rings Trilogy: $1,069,891,900

Star Wars has double the sales of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, domestically.

However, this is a stupid comparison. And the argument that Star Wars has had 20+ years to build steam is rediculous, as LotR has had 50+ years to do the same. In fact, I would wager more people have read LotR worldwide than have seen Star Wars.

In any case, why compare two great series?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    IMO...

LOTR the films can't touch SW the films.

SW the books can't touch LOTR the books.

They're masters of their respective Fine Arts.

That's nice and fair, yes? True too. :)

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "AWW, poor Titanic. George Lucas is King of the world."

[face_laugh] I almost died laughing when I just read that.
    Because I swallowed up :p

Don't care if it's true or not, but somehow I imagined the Flanneled One "flying" at the front (what's the nautical term again?) of a CG Titanic :D

5. GenMadine

GenMadine Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 7, 2002
    FYI, Pixar was first created by Lucas himself before being sold off to Steve Bell

I thought Pixar was created as a DIVISION of Lucasfilm, not created by Lucas.

There is a difference. A big difference.

Madine out

6. Darthette

Darthette Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 2003
    I have to admit that I was a little, or maybe more than a little concerned over what the first day sales would be, but seeing those figures brightened my day. I don't think I'll pay much attention to comparisons in sales or inflation figures because knowing me if I do a massive case of anxiety will flourish in me... :p But, I'm very pleased with the figures. Very pleased. :D

Let's face it, a great percentage of the people who are going to buy the set are in the age group that doesn't feel they have to be first in line to get the first set out of the shipping box. They'll be doing their casual shopping over the weekend and see it, feel that little tug in their heart, and buy it. :)

7. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    So I geuss we can now say that all those people who come on here and post "Star Wars is dead" are officially morons?

8. YPL

YPL Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 4, 2004
    Yes. :D

9. CobaltLightJedi

CobaltLightJedi Jedi Youngling

Oct 21, 2003
    FYI, Pixar was first created by Lucas himself before being sold off to Steve Bell

I have no idea who Steve Bell is, but Pixar was sold off directly from George to Apple cofounder and current CEO Steve Jobs.

10. Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord

Darth_Maul_Sith_Lord Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2004
    I'm getting a little annoyed reading about "Star Wars vs. Lord of the Spider-Matrixes and the Passion of Harry Potter."

HA HA HA!!!

God Forbid anyone like another movie series other than SW...

Do people really compare SW to The Passion??? That's so lame.. IMHO The Passion can't really even be considered a movie, it's just a bunch of Romans beating the **** outta Christ for 2 1/2 hours...

D_M_S_L

11. neo-dragon

neo-dragon Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2004

Adjusted for inflation:

Star Wars Trilogy: $2,274,008,200

Lord of the Rings Trilogy: $1,069,891,900

Star Wars has double the sales of the Lord of the Rings trilogy, domestically.

However, this is a stupid comparison. And the argument that Star Wars has had 20+ years to build steam is rediculous, as LotR has had 50+ years to do the same. In fact, I would wager more people have read LotR worldwide than have seen Star Wars.

In any case, why compare two great series?

Who said anything about domestic? I mentioned world wide gross. And the LotR films have not had 50 years to build steam. Yes, the books has been read by many over the years. Books very rarely enter pop culture to the extent than movies or tv do. If you had walked up to someone at random and said "My Precioussssss" in your best Gollum voice 4 years ago, chances are they would've had no idea what you meant.

In any case, I digress. My point is just that LotR doesn't have a whole generation of people who's fondest childhood/adolescent memories revolve around seeing it. Reading it, yes. But that's why the books are still selling so well. Give LotR 25 years and have Peter Jackson withhold its release on the popular format of the time for several years, and its sales will probably rival SW when it's released.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    >> Don't care if it's true or not, but somehow I imagined the Flanneled One "flying" at the front (what's the nautical term again?) of a CG Titanic<<

I have t0shirt i think countingdown.com had made back around the time of TPM where it was "King of the World" in pisode 1 style lettrs, with lucas riding a small N-1 over the sinking Ttanic, which was being attacked by variou sTPM droids and such.

There was also the fan film that had TIE Fighters and the Death Star attacking the Titanic which was pretty hilarious.

13. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    I remember the fanfilm. To this day I still hear some of the lines during the conference in my head. Especially "...however unlikely that they find a market - and exploit it."
    And I still expect the cut to the Titanic part after Tarkin's "one swift stroke" :D

Man, I need to find the CD that's on :D

/off-topic
    xcuseme

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Hehe! I found it on one of my harddrives- it's called "Tie-tanic"

"Talking pigs...will keep them in line. Talking pigs and Rugrat movies."

chokes Motti) "Five theatrical rereleases, four video box sets- one with special behind the scenes footage and interviews, an unprecidented digitally remastered-"
    "Enough of this! Vader! Release him!"
    (releases Motti)"-theatrical release which broke all records last year..."
    "This bickering is pointless!"
    "Then there was the card game..."
    "Now Lord Vader will provide us..."
    (rambles off more merchandising) "Oh, those were good..."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.