main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DVD Sales Predictions

Discussion in 'Archive: Revenge of the Sith' started by DARTH_CRISPY, Oct 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marek the Jedi

Marek the Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 25, 1999
    http://www.dvdexclusive.com/charts_sellers_weekly.asp

top sellers fro week ending 12/11/2005

1. Fantastic 4 NEW
    2. Dukes... NEW
    3. Cinderela Man NEW
    4. Mr. & Mrs. Smith
    5. March of the Penguins
    6. WOTW
    7. Madagasacr
    8. ROTS
    9. Polar Express

it's nice to see that ROTS jumped from 9th to 8th position even with 3 newcomers......

Marek

2. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    FINALY SOME NEWS 9mil COPIES by some industry source

quote:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    from "Hollywood Reporter":

"Sith," No. 9 after seven weeks in stores, has now sold nearly 9 million DVDs , industry sources said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

here is direct link

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/home_video/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001698928

well that means that ROTS overtook NATIONAL TREASURE and almost SHARK TALE in terms of DVDunits... last update was for NT 7.5mil units, Shark Tale 9.10

but it's some INDUSTRY SOURCE, we will have to WAIT to OFFICIAL DATA, but it's nice that SOMEBODY put out some number....

Marek

3. Darth_Sprocket

Darth_Sprocket Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    Marek, I still think that ROTS will be over 10 million + units, domestically. One wonders how many it has sold internationally? Any numbers on that?
    We still have the Christmas season to go thru....could be many more units sold in the next few days.
    We really won't know definitive numbers until January. I don't trust "industry sources" until I see the final DVD charts released.

4. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    we need to see update here

http://www.dvdexclusive.com/charts_sellers_ytd.asp

and here

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/charts/home_video/dvds.jsp

Marek

P.S. but it seems like this thread is DEAD :)

5. Darth_Sprocket

Sep 3, 2002
  6. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    hehe :) bumping dying THREAD ?
    I hope we will have some results soon :)

Marek

7. Darth_Sprocket

Sep 3, 2002
    Marek, any total numbers on TPM, AOTC, and SW-trilogy DVD sales? Up to now?

8. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    we have NEW UPDATE !!!!

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/charts/home_video/dvds.jsp

check collum "YTD"

ROTS MOVED TO NUMBER 2 position in TOP DVD SALES this year...!!

so ROTS overtook Shark Tale and National Treasure

1. The Increadibles (unconfirmed by chart)
    2. ROTS 7weeks on chart
    3. Shark Tale (unconfirmed by chart)
    4. MADAGASCAR 4weeks on chart
    5. National Treasure (unconfirmed by chart)
    7. Polar Express 3weeks on chart
    8. Cinderela 10week on chart
    10. Batman Begins 8weeks on chart
    15. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory 5weeks on chart
    17. WOTW 3weeks on chart
    19. Mr. and Mrs. smith 2weeks on chart
    34 Fantastic Four 1week on chart

9. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    cool :)
    now what i want to know is how many number of dvds is that for the year?

10. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    dookie on tha last chart it was like

national treasure 7.5 mil. units
    shark tale 9.1 mil units

but that was last update few months ago...

this week as you can see on on of report from industry insider,
    ROTS managed to get almost 9mil units...... a week ago.......

so it seems and holliday boost help to GET over SHARK TALE :)

MArek

11. MaceWindu_is_GOD

MaceWindu_is_GOD Jedi Youngling star 3

May 26, 2005
    Speaking of DVDs. I know this not about the DVD sales.

But I have a QUICK question for the technical people in here.

DvDs are suppose to be top of the line.

But if we watch them many times and forward and rewind them, do they lose quality and even be succeptible to wear and tear??

I thought DVDs are indestructible in just watching them or forwarding them unless of course if you physically damage it.

Is this true?? Coz I watch my SW DVDs alot. Even forwarding them to the duels alot.

In EP. 1, the Pod scene in an LCD television looks sharp and awesome but in Ep. 3, the DUEL in Mustafar...the fires look HIGHLY blurry and picsalated on an LCD television.

Does anyone else notice that annoying flaw in their HDTV or is it just my ROTS DVD??

Thanks

12. Gobi-1

Gobi-1 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 22, 2002
    Are you sure it's not just a "heat" effect making the flames look blurry?

13. MaceWindu_is_GOD

May 26, 2005
    Are you sure it's not just a "heat" effect making the flames look blurry?

Yes, positive.

Coz it looks pixelated.

In normal TV is fine but on an HD LCD it shows that annoying flaw coz everything else looks great except for that Mustafar Duel.

14. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    well most MOVIES could look bad on LCD !!! especialy on LCD,

they do LOOK AWESOME on PLASMA HD TV !

I know LCD are cheaper compare to PLASMA HD TV, but LCD is just not there yet to produce same LOOK as movie should look........

LCD is to HARD LOOKING IMAGE, wich is good if you are using LCD as computer MONITOR....

so some scenes can be totaly HORRIBLE on LCD....

I did many test with regular computer monitor LCS with regular 100Hz TV, and sometime movie on TV looked super, and totaly bad on LCD, and sometime super image on LCD and terrible picture on TV :)

so well..... you have to WAIT for HDDVD or BLUERAY disk edition of STAR WARS :)

Marek

15. MaceWindu_is_GOD

May 26, 2005
    Thanks Marek,

I was afraid that was the flaw of the LCD.

Those slick salesmen told me that LCD and Plasma are the same saying that Plasma breaks easily. They probably just want to get rid of their LCDs at tthat time. :(

Well next year...I think the HDDVD will be the standard. Which means we have to buy all our SW movies all over again.

Hopefully GL would have brand new additions and new commentaries.

16. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    you know LCD will probably overatke Plasma in near future, but we will see when that happen.....
    for now LCD should last longer, with less energy for running....., Plasma so far better picture,
    and mainly better FILM LOOK comapre to sharp computer picture of LCD. LCD is super great for watching PICTURES
    and CGI MOVIES :) as PIXAR or Disney animater ones..... and from time to time you will get regular MOVIE wich will look awesome on LCD, but you can experience same flaws, "SOMETIME" as with star wars...

btw. do you watching and HD program on that LCD ? can you write me nema and brand ? I would like to check that model myself :) :)

and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL OF YOU,

hopefully we will get nice DVD sales updates soon !

see ya
    Marek

17. MaceWindu_is_GOD

May 26, 2005
    Merry Christmas to all also!!

And yes, I do watch HD television on that LCD. It looks pretty good.

It's 32" WideScreen flat panel by JVC. I use components Monster Cables when I watch DVDs. It's 100 times better than nomal video and audio cables.

From Eps.2-6, I could see the lightsabers getting pixelated but Ep. 1 for some reason is pretty clear.

18. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    Here is an article from the hollywood reporter about 2005 dvd sales. Definitely worth a read.
    link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/home_video/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001772278

Warner tops DVD share in 'Incredible' '05

By Thomas K. Arnold
    The sky might not have fallen on the fast-maturing DVD business in 2005. But the double-digit revenue growth studio home entertainment divisions have enjoyed almost since the format's launch in 1997 did come to a grinding halt.

Final numbers on consumer spending won't be available until later this week, but the consensus among studio executives, analysts and other observers is that it might be hard to top the record $24.5 billion consumers spent on home video purchases and rentals in 2004.

This comes despite a late-year surge that saw exceptional sales for several titles released late in the fourth quarter, including Universal Studios Home Entertainment's "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," which sold 3.7 million copies in the first six days after its Dec. 13 release.

"We're now at almost 5 million units," Universal Studios Home Entertainment president Craig Kornblau said. "This tremendous surge at the end of the year shows consumers embraced DVD as much as they have in prior years. When it comes down to giving gifts for the holidays, DVDs still are one of the premier choices."

Indeed, most observers attribute the flattening of the market to deep discounting at retail rather than consumer disinterest -- though the down boxoffice certainly didn't help matters. Wal-Mart stores during the holidays were selling such top theatrical titles as "Shark Tale" and "Shrek 2" for as little as $3.99. On Black Friday -- the day after Thanksgiving and the traditional start of the holiday shopping season -- Circuit City had a selection of hits, including "The Incredibles," the year's No. 1 DVD seller, priced at just $8.98.

For the year, "unit sales will almost certainly be up," Kornblau said. But for now, the jury remains out on accurate revenue totals. In November, the most recent month for which numbers are available, Nielsen VideoScan point-of-sale data showed a 13.6% uptick in unit shipments but an overall video revenue gain of just 6.3% from November 2004.

Sony Pictures Home Entertainment president Benjamin Feingold said a studio analysis of VideoScan data pegs unit sales for the year to be up 5.9% from 2004. The revenue picture, however, remains unclear pending the receipt of final sales date through Dec. 31.

Feingold fingers "catalog pricing" as the big revenue-buster but maintains that there's little studios can do about it at this point. "It's difficult to arrest price declines on an existing format," he said. "Historically, that's not something that has been a successful strategy."

That's why it is so important to bow a new format, Feingold said.

"Projections I made for Sony (corporate) four years ago were that the market would top out in 2005, and that's why I was so anxious for a new format to be introduced," he said.

Although year-end revenue numbers have not been tallied, two things that have been decided are the annual market-share derby among studios and the year's top DVD sellers.

Analyzing Nielsen VideoScan data, Home Media Retailing's market research department gives the 2005 market-share crown to Warner Home Video, with a 19.8% share. Warner had several huge DVD titles for the year, including "Batman Begins," "The Polar Express" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory." But it owes its victory more to the sheer mass of product it pumped into the market, including well-received special editions of classics like "The Wizard of Oz" and franchise properties in the TV-DVD and children's video arena.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment came in second, with a market share estimated at 14.9%. The studio's video coffers were fueled by "The Incredibles," the year's top-selling DVD, and strong performances by special DVD editions of "Bambi" and "Cinderella."

In the race for third place, it was a neck-in-neck finish between Univers

19. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    so according to this article here are TOP DVDs of 2005

1. The Increadibles 17.4 million units
    2. ROTS 10.4
    3.4. Madagascar 10
    3.4. Shark Tale 10
    5. Pollar Express 8.1
    6. Fockers 7.21
    7. National Treasure 7.2
    8. Cinderella 6.56
    9. Ray 6.53
    10. Batman Begins 6.15

Seems like Increadibles will be at the TOP,
    on other hand, BB is on 10th position, with no CHANCE to enter TOP 5 !
    Interesting that National Treasure stopped on 7.2mil and not added any new sales during year......

Those are still all ESTIMATES !! No mention of ROTS DVD+Battlefront sales..., I am sure they are not counted towards DVD units for ROTS !

So we will have to wait for OFFICIAL FINAL update in JANUARY

Marek

20. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999
    UPDATED TOP 20 ALL TIME unit sales.....

1. Finding Nemo 18.5 units - 28mil units unconfirmed data
    2. Shrek 2 18.2 units - 22mil units unconfirmed data
    3. The Increadibles 17.4mil units
    4. Two Towers 14.75 mil. units
    5. Pirates of Caribbean 13.3 mil. units
    6. ROTK 12.5 mil. units
    7. Spiderman 12.2 mil. units
    8. LOTR - FOTR 12 mil. units
    9. Monsters Inc. 11.8 mil. units
    10. The Passion 10.5 mil. units
    11. ROTS 10.4 mil units
    12. Madagascar 10 mil. units
    13. Shark Tale 10 mil. units

14. Spiderman 2 9.9 mil. units
    15. HP2 9.45 mil. units
    16. HP3 9.4 mil. units
    17. HP1 9.1 mil. units
    18. Matrix Reloaded 8.35 mil. units
    19. AOTC 8.1 mil. units
    20. National Treasure 7.2 mil. units

in BOLD, 2005 realeases
    ROTS with Madagascar could move up to 6th-7th position..
    Batman Begins is around 35-40 place....

Marek

21. smauldookie

smauldookie Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 5, 2002
    w00t w00t! :D it's over 10 mill units and passed Spideypants 2. :p

22. Ed-A_1978

Ed-A_1978 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 10, 2004
    Damn. I was hoping ROTS would be in the top ten.

23. Marek the Jedi

Sep 25, 1999

I am sure ROTS will go to position number 6 !! in few months....

24. Anagorn

Anagorn Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 3, 2003
    ROTS is also the 11th biggest movie of all time
    in the World Chart but we all know that it
    infact is the number one don´t we now...

25. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    RotS has only been out for two months. Give him time, Lucas will have those shields down.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.