main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania DVD Selection Committee

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by TheOzhaggis, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Okay, I finally cracked the lock on my bank book (remember those, kids?) and bought a DVD player and so now the big question is...

WHAT DVD DO I BUY FIRST ?

If you had a choice, what would be your first (non-SW) DVD - and why?

Naturally, this committee reserves the right to ignore all submissions and buy whatever it wants...

2. slaveone_2

slaveone_2 Jedi Master star 5

Jul 1, 2001
    Episode I

3. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    What Slavey said...at least it would be if you hadn't said NON-SW. :p

Get the Matrix if you haven't got it already (it's required if you have a DVD player), as well as The Dream, arguably some of Roy and HG's finest stuff. ;)

4. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    I see our little conversation has been fruitful. :)

Head on over to JB Hi-Fi in Kotara, mate. There's always something there that catches the eye. :)

Also, if you like The Secret Life of Us, you can get their DVDs for $10 each from HMV. You can get them online as well.

That goes for anyone, actually. I'm sure this thread can stay alive as some sort of on-going DVD user thread.

OTY, epic.

:)

5. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I go the Matrix too, pure DVD experience.

If you've got fantastic sound though, and even thought it's a kids movie, Atlantis has some of the best sound of any movie I've watched on DVD.

Besides the Matrix :)

6. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    No way. If you want a good kids movie, go with Shrek.

Anyway, what are the specs on your player?

7. darth-luigi

darth-luigi Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    Fight Club, Galaxy Quest, the Abyss, the Terminator and Xmen.

All great movies and they all come loaded with extra features :)

8. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Um, well - thing is - it's only a dvd-rom drive, not a full dvd player.

It's not my fault! I wanted a full player, but my cd-drive died on me, and I could nae see the point of shelling out for a new cd-rom when I could just as easily get a dvd-rom (and you need one these days anyway, with software coming out on dvd...)

Anyways, as I said to Kahlan (you dvd-rom snob!) I will still get the full player, I just need a little rest to save for one (and find somewhere to put it...)

Anyways, on topic: Shrek is good. *Puts it on the list of contenders*

9. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    With 'Shrek' on DVD-ROM you can put your voice over the actor's.

:)

If you get 'Fight Club', try and track down the first edition of it in it's cardboard fold out case.

EDIT: And there's nothing wrong with DVD-ROM. I've got one as well and it goes alright. Not as bad as it's portrayed anyway. What software player have you got? Cyberlink's a goer.

10. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

A few have popped into my head: Apocalypse Now + Hellraiser + Halloween + Monkey!

11. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Apocalypse Now comes out in August.

:) Oh yeah!

12. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Fight Club
    The Matrix
    Gladiator
    The Mummy

13. soneil

soneil Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2000
    Don't feel bad about having a DVD-ROM. I have one and after using that, I don't want a stan-alone DVD player now. I love getting all the DVD-ROM features, plus the added bunuses like being able to easily take screenshots and sound samples from any movie I want. The only downside is the small screen, which is easily fixed by a tv-out on the soundcard. As for sound, plenty of PCs these days have sound that rivals hi-fi sound. My PC sounds better than my stereo and the soundcard & speakers are the oldest part of my PC (newer stuff's even better).
    As for DVDs, I'd say
    TPM
    Matrix
    Gladiator
    Aliens box set
    Men in Black limited edition box
    Fight club (haven't actually got that one myself yet but the DVD is pretty awesome)

14. Kehleyr

Kehleyr Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 22, 2001
    willow

15. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    TPM
    (oh non-SW...)

Seven
    12 Monkeys
    Alien box set
    Mummy box set
    Gladiator

I've also heard good things about the Terminator films, The Abyss (be aware there is a new $25 version of this. Don't buy it. Get the one with all the whistles and bells), The Thing and The Wall.

16. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Oh my!

I went shopping today. Could NOT decide!

So many movies - so little money!

My wishlist is gonna be HUGE - but luckily my birthday is coming up soon, so a few strategically dropped hints might help out ... (eg, "LOTR comes out a fortnight before MY BIRTHDAY?")

But, I think I've found the two movies that I'll get first - $20 each as well! - BIG PRIZE to anyone who can guess what they are - hint: both classics, one from the 70s, one from the 80s, one a drama, one scifi.

:D

17. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Aliens for the Sci Fi? Or Bladerunner.

No idea about the drama.

Where;d you go shopping anyway?

18. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    Bladerunner? (as the Sci-Fi movie..)

As for sugeestions... depending on whether or not you liked the movie: I've heard Final Fantasy is a great choice. It's a 2 Disc set, one for the movie and one for the extras, including some sort of scene editing and mucking around with 3D models ... or something like that.

Edit - just making a clarification

19. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Ok, no prizes for guessing the scifi one was Bladerunner.

The other one is Taxi Driver. (You talkin to me? ) I haven't actually seen it before - so it will be a good first dvd to buy, me thinks - rather than something I've seen a dozen times already.

There is also, strange to believe, an anime movie that I might buy - Blood: The Last Vampire. I'm not really into anime, per se - but being something of an artist, I must say the art looks AMAZING.

And Wedge, thanks for the tip about where to shop - even though I actually thought you said HMV (which is where I found the dvds, a 2 for $40 special thing) not KB.

Oh well.

Looks like I've got a whole new dept of Kmart/Target to haunt now!

:D

Oh - and Electronics Boutique is pretty good, too - not a huge selection, but cheap. :D

20. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    I'm surprised no one else has mentioned..

The Late Show: Champagne Edition

if you don't have this, you are not worthy

If you can find a copy of The Godd, The Bad, The Ugly, get it, very nice dvd

Also Hard Boiled and Killer, two of John Woo's best films

21. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Btw, just remembered - HMV has copies of The Phandom Menace in its Top 10 section with TPM.

22. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Mate, don't buy DVDs from HMV that aren't on sale. They are expensive! Same for Sanity and DJs. Electronic Boutique are alright with the two for $60. K-Mart is awesome, especially with their occasional 15% off sales. Target will also have the odd 20% off sale, but they are a tad priceier than K-Mart. At least in this area.

So, you were at Garden City? I was there twice today and in the HMV there both times... A close shave? :)

Oh, and Taxi Driver... I've still got it on video. I will have to upgrade. Scorsese and De Niro are tops!

23. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey, someone else is promoting HMV??? NOT ALLOWED! :D
    Yeah, we've got SLOU for $10 for 3 episodes, but also Time Bandits, & Withnail & I.
    I'd recommend Lawrence of Arabia, Star Wars, Gladiator, Microcosmos, The Civil War (3 parts), Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and the Matrix.
    Lawrence is a beautiful double disc with tonnes of features, and is perhaps one of the greatest films ever made. Just think, for every piece of crap that Hollywood trumps out (esp Bruckheimer films - you like Bruckheimer you are a sap) that films were once like works of art.
    If you like your music DVD's, then get PNYC on DVD, or perhaps Massive Attack 11 Promos.

E_S

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    OK - Blade RUnner is a really poor disc, not feature packed at all. The Premier edition is discontinued, as is the fold-out boxed Fight Club. As you said HMV are doing a 2 for $40 DVD sale. Blade Runner is in the sale, as is Enter the Dragon, O Brother Where Art Thou, and the Big Lebowski, with heaps more titles in there. Go HMV! :D
    August 6th brings out Lord of the Rings, the two disc version. Unless you're a hard core Tolkein fan, don't bother with the 4 disc one in november, get the two disc version. AotC is out Sept 13, Spidey Sept 9 IIRC.
    That should buff your collection up nicely!
    Which HMV Haggis?
    E_S

25. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Or the Metallica concerts. They're the benchmark for music DVDs. Even U2's effort doesn't matchup with it.

Then again, you'll probably need to be a fan.

And I've heard nothing but bad things about that version of 'Withnail & I'. It's supposed ot be a horrible transfer. Even the cover looks a bit dodgy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.