main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oceania DVD Selection Committee

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by TheOzhaggis, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stinrab

stinrab Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 9, 1998
    Got the Back To The Future Trilogy boxset on Friday for about $48 (not bad for 3 discs). I've been spending most of the weekend watching 'em, too. Great stuff!

2. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    If you buy them used, aren't they scratched or anything? People here are so inconsiderate. Every time I rent a movie on DVD, its usually scratched and usually 1/8 of the movie jerks, if ya know what i mean. Unless of course, it just came out, which then I can do the scratching [face_mischief] ;)

The AOTC DVD comes out on the 14th for Australia? At least it isn't like the TPM release where it took forever for the DVD to get anywhere other than America. But it's funny how Guam gets everything on the same day from, say a person in New York, yet Guam is much closer to Australia than any other state in the mainland...

Anyways, I have a rather poor DVD collection(in order of purchase):

1)Finding Forrester
    2)The Phantom Menace
    3)Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
    4)Black Hawk Down
    5)A Walk To Remember

:)

3. Eye_of_Sauron

Eye_of_Sauron Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 18, 2002
    Yeah, I don't get the "scratched up rental" dvd thing, for me the discs are either in my player or in the cover but some ppl just treat them like sanding discs or something.

4. Ooryl Qyrgg

Ooryl Qyrgg Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 25, 2000
    U talkin about ex-rentals?

Cos there's some thang they do where the scratches can be gotten rid of.

5. wedge3210

wedge3210 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 7, 1999
    If you're going to buy ex-rentals you have to be very careful. They usually don't have any dramas about looking through as many copies of the movie as possible to find a decent enough copy.

Is the Back to the Future set any good? I think I'll have to get that one day.

I wouldn't mind the West Wing either, but I hate the fact that each series comes in two parts and it's fairly pricey. The Simpsons 3 and the Sopranos 3 will be out in October sometime as well, so I have to save up some more.

6. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    re: BttF

Yeah, it's a pretty good set. Nice transfer, and a fair amount of extras on each disc for all the movies. The deleted scenes are decent (if short) and the outtakes are better than average too. But it's really the films you buy it for and they are still fantastic (they haven't really dated at all... much better than other films of that period)

7. TheOzhaggis

TheOzhaggis Jedi Master star 5

Nov 1, 2000

Well, I watched Apocalypse Now: Redux yesterday and well, all I can say is ... WOW

WOW

WOW

WOW

DEFINITELY one to get if you don't already.

I kid you not - the "blowing up the compound" deleted sequence is worth the cost alone!

:D

And this week - Lord of the Rings.

8. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
    I keep telling my friends about apocalypse now, the don't believe me when i say they added more to the film, so it's now 202 minutes long.

until I turned up the volume on that scene, breathless i tells you, i wish i could have seen it at the flicks when they released redux last year.

9. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

And not just added scenes, either - it was entirely re-edited. He went back and used different camera angles, changed lots of things here and there ... it is truly a new version of the movie.

The man is a genius.

And I don't say that often - except when referring to myself...

10. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I went and saw it last Christmas in at Showcase Cinemas, Oz. It was brilliant. I signed up for Empire Magazine, so I'll get a copy of it free soon enough.

I really loved the extended Playboy bunnies seen. "Who are you?" "I'm next!"

And the knew Kilgore bits were very funny, but the way they left him in the original was perfect. It was just good to see it all together anyway.

And there's supposed to be a 15% off sale at K-mart on the 8th and 9th of September.

11. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    What? Damnit, that's not fair, that's too late for my birthday. I think I'll subtly hint for BttF, though. ;)

12. Teknobabel

Teknobabel Jedi Master star 5

Jun 4, 2000
  13. jediguy

jediguy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2000
    "But apart from a few good moments, I wasn't that thrilled with the movie.

But I guess I'm the lone ranger on this one."

Nope, I thought it was pretty mediocre. Certainly won't be in a rush to buy it on DVD...

14. TheOzhaggis

Nov 1, 2000

Kmart had a DVD sale on the weekend for Father's Day - some for $16 (but not many) - that's when i got Apocalypse - used a gift voucher and got it for $29 ...

15. Darth-Tom

Darth-Tom Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2001
    Hey cats! anyone know when a DECENT release of Bladerunner is coming?? I mean that cruddy release is good for renting, but sheeeeeet give us a directors commentary!

16. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    I think the only DVDs I'm going to buy in the near future (unless I start earning a bit more money) are Spiderman and AOTC.

Since I'm still not sure which version of Lord of the Rings I want, I'm going to keep that off the list for the moment.

17. Ben_Skywalker

Ben_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 20, 2001
    I'd suggest the 4 disc one. The 2 disc isn't that much worth it IMHO. The only cool extra feature was the preview on LOTR: TTT and that comes out in about 3 months.

Trust me. Just rent the current one and wait out for the 4 disc edition. :)

18. Syrix_Kahl

Syrix_Kahl Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 25, 2001
    I finally got the 2 disc set of Final Fantasy today. I have to say, it was much better than what I was expecting.

It got loads of feces flung at it from a large portion of the gaming community, but all in all, I though it was very "Final Fantasy" - especially the tragic love ending.

I haven't gone through all the extra material etc, but from what I have seen it looks pretty good. The "outtakes" reel is pretty funny, even if they didn't completely render the scenes.

19. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    Topping this. Can someone fill me in on the where-abouts of Ozhaggis?

Anyway, K-mart had a pricing mis-hap on their Kath and Kim DVDs about 2 weeks ago. I missed out on getting them at the local Kmart at the reduced price of $18 and wasn't going to be bothered at the normal price of $50 odd. But when all hope at faded and I found myself in a Kmart a long way from home, there was one copy of K&K that still had the $18 on the front... so I grabbed it. What a ripper of a show it is too!

20. stinrab

Jul 9, 1998
    K&K is great stuff!

and Oz has gone on some self-imposed exile for a while. He still turned up to the MoM meet, though.

He'll be back... They always come back

Anyway, just finished watching Predator:SE. Such a great movie. Nothing can beat these Schwarzenegger gems:
    "Stick around"
    and
    "Knock knock"

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Anyone catch the name of Harrison Ford's character in Apocalypse Now?

Just been watching Blackadder, all four seasons! Love #3 best tho! It retails for $99.95

E_S

22. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I think BlackAdder had a mis-price at Kmart too. That, K&K and AbFab's latest. I think it was about $28!

Spiderman is out this week. I'm thinking of getting the four disk version. Should be a winner. I've still got to get a few other things that I'd like at the moment. ET, and I can't think of anything else.

Ford in Apocalypse Now = Col. George Lucas. Gotta love that Directing Brat Pack of the 70s.

23. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    To the top again for the great releases at the moment.

15% off at K-Mart tomorrow and Friday as well! Great for Christmas and DVD shopping!

I also picked up a demo copy of "All Aussie Adventures" at Red Eye in Sydney on Monday for $20! All the stuff is on there that is on the regular release, but the disks are both all white. But for less than half the RRP, I'll take it.

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Kudos to Wedge for getting "COL. G. LUCAS", our trivia answer! Tell him what he's won:
    "He's won a month of posting rights at the Jedi Council boards! Yay!" :D :p

As for Blade Runner; there was a beautiful edition available a while back, though nothing new is on the horizon.

E_S

25. wedge3210

Jun 7, 1999
    I don't even know what you're on about now. :p

The 3-disk version of ET is coming out exclusive to HMV too. The third disk has the original version of the movie.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.