DVD Thread?

Discussion in 'Nashville, TN' started by DVDMaster, Jul 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    News on 2 upcoming releases came out today:

The Hulk From darkhorizons.com: The 2 disc release due on October 28th will be available in separate 1.85:1 anamorphic WS and FS editions both w/ Dolby Digital 5.1 soundtracks, on each disc will be a host of extra features. Disc 1 includes audio commentary with Director Ang Lee "Hulk Cam: Inside the Rage" featurette, "Superhero Revealed: The Anatomy of the Hulk" featurette, various deleted scenes, cast and filmmaker bios. Over on the 2nd disc there's four featurettes - "Hulkification", "Evolution of The Hulk", "The Incredible Ang Lee" and "The Making of Hulk" - along with a close analysis of "The Dog Fight Scene" and a piece on Ang Lee's "Editing Style". Finally there's some DVD-ROM features.

A Christmas Story From dvdreview.com: A Christmas Story finally comes as a 2 disc special edition from Warner Brothers Home Entertainment on October 7th (SRP $26.99). The film after a few earlier releases, will finally be released in anamorphic widescreen. The set will also include a stash of extras including the documentary "Another Christmas Story," narrated by Peter Billingsley, an audio commentary with cast members and director Bob Clark, the featurettes "A History of The Daisy Red Ryder" & "Get a Leg Up: A Shining Light of Freedom," the "Triple Dog Dare interactive trivia game", a "decoder match challenge" game, the radio drama of the story & other features.
  2. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    From dvdreview:

James Bond will return
    MGM Home Entertainment has announced all three sets of James Bond films will arrive on the same day this fall.
    The James Bond Collection Volume 1 will contain Dr. No, Goldeneye, Goldfinger, License to Kill, Man with the Golden Gun, The Spy Who Loved Me and Tomorrow Never Dies. Volume 2 will hold From Russia with Love, You Only Live Twice, Diamonds are Forever, Moonraker, For Your Eyes Only, The Living Daylights and The World is Not Enough. Volume 3 will include Thunderball, Octopussy, On Her Majesty's Secret Service, Die Another Day, Live and Let Die and A View to a Kill.
    All of the discs in the sets will be identical to the previous releases of the films. And sadly, with the exception of Die Another Day, all will go back into moratorium on January 19th.
    Coming on November 18th, all 3 volumes will come priced at $124.96.

No news on if individual films will be available. I only need For Your Eyes Only & On Her Majesty's Secret Service. Come MGM help the fans out!

MTV's Spider-Man Columbia TriStar has set a date of January 6, 2004 for the 1st season release of the new animated Spider-Man show. All 13 episodes of the MTV show's first season will be included. Source: tvshowsondvd.com
  3. Elan-Rai RSA Emeritus

star 4
    Speaking of Spider-Man, that new animated series on MTV rocks the boat! I have never seen a cartoon so life-like.
  4. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    The Digital Bits reports that Paramount has moved up the release of the Indiana Jones DVD box set to October 21st, to avoid competing with Disney's release of the ?Finding Nemo? DVD on November 4th.

Basically, thats only two weeks sooner. Also, Amazon.com is now offering Indiana Jones in FULL Screen version too for those people that don't mind having their movies cropped in half. Either way, $45.49 isn't a bad price to pay for a 4 DVD boxed set with FREE shipping & no whopping TN state sales tax.
  5. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    As many of you may or may not know, the Lord of the Rings the Two Towers is scheduled to come out two weeks from tomorrow, August 26th. I guess the main reason for getting this instead of the Extended version would be for the Exclusive 10-minute behind-the-scenes preview of The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King .

I'm sure that you also know that there is going to be an Extended Version released on November 18th. What you may not know is that there will yet be another Collectors gift set that can be found for $60 at Amazon.com. I'm actually quite surprised at this since there are still some collectors gifts sets for The Fellowship of the Rings still sitting on store shelves collecting dust. I also do not personally know of anybody who purchased it. This is what you get extra with the Collectors edition that you don't get with the Extended Edition:

Collectible Gollum polystone statue created by Sideshow Weta

Exclusive bonus DVD on the Weta Workshop and how the Gollum statue was created

Exclusive printed companion piece showing how Gollum evolved from pencil sketch to digital character

I don't know about you guys, but a statue of Gollum, a reproduced illustration & a DVD about how they made the statue isn't worth the extra $35 to me. It may be to you. Either way, I thought you might find it interesting.

[image=http://www.lordoftherings.net/homevideo/images/dvd_tt_enlarge.jpg]

[image=http://www.lordoftherings.net/homevideo/images/collector_tt_enlarge.jpg]
  6. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Today came the details of the summer action flick Charlies Angels: Full Throttle that will have an Unrated Edition released on Oct. 21. No, news of what is unrated other than 1 minute of footage never before seen on the big screen. From DVDAnswers.com:

The unrated disc will include 3 extra features that won't be present on the PG-13 disc. For the unrated version:
    2.40:1 Anamorphic Widescreen Transfer
    English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
    French Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
    Audio Commentary with Writers
    Telestrator Commentary with Director McG
    Angel-Vision Trivia Track
    Turning Angels into Pussycat Dolls
    Rolling with the Punches
    XXX-Treme Angels
    Full Throttle Jukebox
    Full Throttle: The Cars of Charlie's Angels
    Dream Duds: Costuming an Angel
    Angels Makeover: Hansen Dam
    Designing Angels: The Look of Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
    There's No Such Thing as a Short Shot Feature
    Feel Good Time Music Video
    Cameo-Graphy
    DVD-ROM Features
    English, French, Korean Subtitles

See the cover artwork at: Charlie's Angels
  7. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    From Dark Horizons.com comes the news of 2 future releases: Daredevil: Director's Cut & T3:

"Daredevil" Director Mark Steven Johnson recently paid a quick visit to SuperheroHype.com and revealed some small details of an extended version of the superhero flick - "The Director's Cut has no release date as of yet but will definitely be released and will either be rated R or Unrated. It's not only interesting to see what's added (over 30 minutes of story) but what has been deleted as well (i.e. no love scene, no confessionals--both for very good reasons which you'll see)." Meanwhile Warners has announced that T3 will hit DVD on November 11th in a 2-disc special edition. Exact details will be announced later, but the early tease includes a commentary by director Jonathan Mostow, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Nick Stahl, Claire Danes and Kristanna Loken; an introduction by Schwarzenegger, new footage, an on-set gag reel, four VFX interactive sequences, an HBO "First Look" featurette, a SkyNet personnel & weapons database, storyboards and a costume & production design galleries.
  8. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    According to reports Schwarzenegger recorded the commentary for T3 the day before he announced his run for Governor. He's also reported to make reference to the fact that many critics thought he should change careers after this film, and jokes about running for office. This may become a true collector's edition if he wins in October. :D
  9. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Being a big fan of the West Wing (amongst other shows) I'm glad to announce that the show is headed to DVD here in the US. From tvshowsondvd.com:

Warner Home Entertainment has voted for November 18th as the street date for The West Wing: The Complete First Season.

This complete, 22-episode debut year of the exciting and thought-provoking series is presented on 4 discs & includes exclusive, must-see extras.

Among these will be lots of extra footage (gag reels ["Gag Order"] & outtakes ["Off The Record"], deleted scenes, and behind-the-scenes stuff), commentary tracks from creator Alan Sorkin & director Thomas Schlamme on 5 episodes ["Pilot," "What Kind Of Day Has It Been," "Take This Sabbath Day," "In Excelsis Deo" (featuring additional commentary from Co-Executive Producer/Director Alex Graves) and "Celestial Navigation" (with Co-Executive Producer/Director Chris Misiano joining Sorkin and Schlamme)], featurettes "The Primaries" & "The West Wing Inauguration", and interviews with folk both in front of and behind the camera.

Warner mandates this release will be in 1.33:1 video format and Dolby Surround Stereo audio format, in English. Subtitles will be in English, French, and Spanish. The 4 DVDs in the set will be Double Sided/Dual Layer "DVD18" discs. The SRP is $59.98 for this Emmy-winning inaugural season.
  10. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I don't know how I missed this one, cause my source claims to have posted this news on Thursday, but I sure didn't see it...

You can get 2 episodes of Fox's 24 for FREE at Best Buy. I'm going to try and see if I can grab one today after work, but my schedule's going to be tight today, so if anybody's going today and grabs one, it'd be real sweet if you could grab ole Zach one too (convince Best Buy I give them lots of free advertisement each week :D ) or let the DVDMaster borrow yours sometime. See the details as posted on tvshowsonDVD.com:

24 fans, Best Buy has an awfully sweet deal waiting for you this coming week. Get a preview of the 9/9/03 release 24 - Season 2...for FREE!

Best Buy's deal starting on Sunday 8/24 (and going on WHILE SUPPLIES LAST) is for "Fox Demo Disc #4", which contains this: 24 SEASON 2 Preview DVD: Features the first 2 Episodes of Season 2.

How you do you get this? 1st come, 1st served! It is "Free, instantly, just for checking out (Best Buy's) selection. No other purchase necessary."

This Exclusive Bonus Disc is definate for locations in the U.S.; there's been no verification that the offer applies to stores in Canada. There is a minimum of 100 copies per store. Many locatations are receiving many, many more than that. All-in-all, a nice deal, thanks to both Best Buy and 20th Century Fox.
  11. Kir Kanos Jedi Master

star 4
    Any word on prices for DVD of LOTR the Two Towers theatrical version being released tomorrow?
  12. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Yeah, I forgot to bring my ads with me to work so I won't be able to do the deals until late tonight after class. (However at the picnic I thought you were going to wait for the extended November version, or did I convince you to get the different featurettes?) That being said, I believe the best price to be $14.99 at Circuit City. Several stores have promotional items linked to this release, that I'll be able to report more fully later, but those offers will cost you more. City's promo is wisely going with the lower price. This title and the Animal House ($12.99) release will headline my forthcoming Deals of the Week article. Stay tuned True Believers. :cool:
  13. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Just to let those of you who are thinking about which (if not both) of the LOTR: 2 Towers you're going to buy, consider this review of the DVD features for tomorrow's 2 disc release. It comes from Garth Franklin who is the webmaster of darkhorizons.com. The article is long so I'll just link to it: LOTR DVD review
  14. Minacia_Brightstar Jedi Youngling

star 5
    I'm such a sucker. I'll do exactly what I did last year and buy both versions of the movie (theatrical cut and extended version).

I'll be taking a long lunch tomorrow to make the run to Best Buy to pick up my copy. :)
  15. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Mandy, If I wasn't buying a house I might be doing the same. Take a KMart or Circuit City ad & make Best Buy give you the best deal! :D
  16. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Additionaly info on the upcoming Christmas with the Simpsons DVD. "Collected from the various adventures that occur during the holiday season, come some of The Simpsons' holliest-and-jolliest episodes. Expect this DVD to include The Simpson's Christmas Special: Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire (1989), Marge Be Not Proud (1995), Miracle on Evergreen Terrace (1997), & Grift of the Magi (1999)."
    Source: tvshowsondvd.com
  17. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    News came out today of a new 2-disc set of John Carpenter's Escape from NY. from darkhorizons:

The two-disc set includes a brand new high-definition film transfer; audio commentary with John Carpenter & Kurt Russell; audio commentary with Producer Debra Hill and Production Designer Joe Alves; the never-before-seen full 10 minute 'bank robbery' deleted opening sequence (with optional John Carpenter & Kurt Russell commentary); all-new "Return to Escape From New York" documentary featuring interviews with John Carpenter, Kurt Russell & others; a making-of John Carpenter's Snake Plissken Chronicles featurette; still gallery; trailers; and liner notes by John Carpenter. The 2-disc Digipack also includes a special edition of John Carpenter's Snake Plissken Chronicles comic book. The disc will go on sale sometime in December.
  18. GMSepiroth Jedi Knight

star 3
    Zach- Do you know of anywhere we can get figures on home video sales. Remember what we were talking about at the picnic. Who is the top video seller, Lions or Monsters. I did a few web seaches but came up empty. Not that I am trying to prove you wrong, I am just curious to know for sure.

And do you know anything of an Airplane! or Buffy (the movie) SEs?

And another thing we were talkning about, Jimmy Fallon has been cast in Fletch Won... I think.
    I dont see an offcial anouncment on the website, but that is the way it sounds reading a quotes from Smith.
  19. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow Mike, a challenge! Well, first off I have been unable to find a complete or official listing of all-time Video/DVD sales. Generally I believe this info comes from professional research sites that charge you for this data (much like box office grosses). My only experience with seeing the "top DVD" of all times is when it's mentioned in an article or news release. This is often a marketing ploy in which they flood retail outlets with a DVD title in the opening weeks in order to claim a new top sales record. But I did run into a few interesting bits. A news story announcing the upcoming buzz about the Spiderman disc Spidey story stated that Sony Pictures had a $100M marketing campaign to push the sales of the DVD past the top-selling DVD record held by Men in Black??. I had never heard of MIB being at the top of the list (more on this later). The most interesting part of the same article also said that Sony had hopes of beating "the home rental industry's all-time best seller, Disney's The Lion King. As far as I know, this record still stands (and will be helped by the upcoming DVD release). The IMDB also states the film "is the best selling home video of all time, which has sold more than 55 million copies to date." With the decline in VHS, this record will likely stand. Any challengers to the throne will be hurt by the VHS/DVD split in purchases or rentals (which explains why the DVD often proceeds the VHS version if a VHS is even made). It would be interesting to see a combined listing of DVD & VHS sales and rentals. It's got to be out there somewhere, but I just don't know where. A retail site dvdovernight.com appears to have the most complete top 10 list of the Top 10 Top Selling DVDs of All Time, which is:
    1. Spiderman 12.7 Million units
    2. LOTR:Fellowship (2 Disc Set) 12.2M units
    3. Monsters, Inc. 12M units
    4. Harry Potter & the Sorcerer's Stone 10.1M units
    5. Shrek (WS) 9.8M units sold (which I believe still has the record for most sales in a day or fastest to reach 1 Million sales??)
    6. Star Wars: Ep. II AOTC 9.2M units (of course if George would get the OT out it would shatter some of these sales records)
    7. My Big Fat Greek Wedding 8.6M units
    8. Pearl Harbor (2 disc) 8.4M units
    9. The Matrix 8.3M units (Matrix once held the top crown in DVD sales, Gladiator got it later on, and was in turn beaten by Shrek)
    10. Harry Potter & The Chamber of Secrets 7.9M units

Now since that came from a retail source, and they didn't list their source I wouldn't take this as the "Gospel" list, but it seems to conform with the DVD literature that is out there. Do note that Men In Black is not listed anywhere on that list so I doubt they ever held the crown. I really wish there was a broad based inclusive list, but I currently don't know where one is, but I'll see what a can nose up in time. :D

The latest on Fletch Won is that Kevin Smith is currently working on the 2nd draft of the script. There is a let down-toned email from Jason Lee on the newsaskew.com site about understanding on casting decisions. Now, that sounds like there is a decision made, but there isn't. From what I can gather it appears that the casting people are trying to decide between Ben Affleck and Jimmy Fallon. Fallon was recently named to be in next year's Taxi with Queen Latifah.

It appears that Airplane! is already out there (some sites refer to it as an SE) with commentary and trailers. Paramount (who appears to own the title) don't go back and make featurettes on some of the older films, so it looks like that is all to be expected from it. Check Amazon of DVDplanet.com.

Amazon reports that Buffy TVS (Movie) is to be released next week (9/02/03) while dvdplanet claims that it is already in stock. Not a SE though, it only has a trailer and featurette(s). No rumblings out there on a future release for this title.

I will point ou
  20. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Anyone else with questions like Mike's please post them here and I'll see what I can dig up! As the Rock would say, "Just Bring It!!!" :cool:
  21. GMSepiroth Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ya know, I bet MIB can say they are the best selling DVD. I bet it is like the theater records. There are so many that everybody has one. Ya know, like best 3 day open, best 4 day open, best holiday open, best min-week open, best January open, best 2nd weekend, best 2nd weekcarry over business, blah, blah, blah, blah......
    I bet it is the same with the home market. Maybe not AS diluted, but still bad.
    Plus I bet all the DVD records are under attack py new releases cause as time goes on there are more and more DVD players out there, so the DVD market is ever growing larger.

OK Zach- lets see what you can dig up on these.
    Trainspotting - I have the DVD but I would LOVE to have some commentary and extras.
    Quantum Leap - My wife has been waiting for YEARS for this.
  22. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Darkhorizons reports that the upcoming release of T3 will be the first of many. Fans should wait for another year or more for the "Ultimate Edition."

To see the front and back of each of the discs for the upcoming Indiana Jones Trilogy see: DVDAnswers

Grand Moff Queries:
    1. Yes, there is a Trainspotting SE out there, but it has so far only been released in Region 2. Released in the UK on June 16th (2003) it includes deleted scenes, commentary (including w/Ewan, but it's one of those commentaries where they didn't record all of the people together), and a whole bunch of extras. Time to start the petition for a US release. If you want to drool over a review of it head over to: Trainspotting Review Sorry the network won't let me put in a link.

Quantum Leap Currently only the pilot episode is available on DVD. I do not believe that disc has any extras. The out of print disc may be a little hard to find, Amazon lists it (currently) for $62.87. No other information is currently available on it. If I had to guess, I suppose it may be due to a rights battle or they're not sure how to proceed with extras. Ideally they would try to get Scott Bakula to do commentary or at least interviews, but he's a little busy at the helm of the S.S. Enterprise. Time will only tell on this set, but I would guess that it will eventually be made.

As President Bartlett would say, "OK, what's next?" What other DVD questions burn in your heart ?[face_plain]
  23. Toymaster Jedi Master

star 4
    OK, I got one for my DVD counterpart. I picked up the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror DVD the other day and it includes Treehouses 5, 6, 7, (maybe 8?) and 12. Since seasons 1, 2 and 3 are out , which include Treehouses 1 & 2, does this mean that seasons 4 & 5 will be out soon?

Cliffnotes version: do you know when season 4 of the Simpsons will be out?
  24. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, not a definite answer. Best guess would seem to indicate that it may take another year for S4 to be released, and here's my reason why: trend analysis!
    Season 1 released 9/25/01
    Season 2 released 8/06/02
    Season 3 released 8/26/03

This has long been a joke in the DVD industry on how long it takes them to kick these volumes out; they've released almost an equal number of Futurama and there haven't been many seasons of that show even made. In Groening's defense, the box sets are superb & feature a ton of extras. Think of how few TV box sets out there have commentary for every episode in a season. Sex and the City & Friends only offer a production commentary for a few episodes in a season. I started watching Season 4 last night (took a little break from SG-1 ;) ) and was surprised that some of the actors were involved in many of the commentaries. It must be noted though that (at least in the few episodes I've watched so far) the voices of Homer & Marge didn't say a lot during the show, but then again each show is only around 22-23 minutes long and there is usually 5-6 people in the room recording commentary. This is far better than the tactic used on many DVDs where they'll record several people individually and then edit them together (e.g., Reservoir Dogs (SE) or Glengarry Glen Ross) aka "Scene-specific commentary."

But alas, there is some joy in Muddville (Springfield), as Homer will return to DVD in "Homer Simpson vs. the World Crime League" (OK, bad Buckarroo Banzai joke, see This Link ). Actually, much like the Treehouse of Horrer set you've got, next month (10/14/03) we'll see the release of Christmas with the Simpsons. Content is unconfirmed but expect it to contain: "The Simpson's Christmas Special: Simpsons Roasting on an Open Fire" (1989), "Marge Be Not Proud" (1995), "Miracle on Evergreen Terrace" (1997), & "Grift of the Magi" (1999). Also as an added feature is a montage of the best moments of C. Montgomery Burns. This is much like the VHS collections they used to put out ("Simpsons Political Party," Best of, "The Simpsons go to Hollywood," etc.). With all the titles in my collection I'm holding out for the Season sets.

Mike, your Treehouse of Horror set should also include a montage of Kang & Kodo's finest moments. Are these moments from shows on the disc or their best moments from multiple episodes?

Wow, long answer for a short question! See folks, no simple "yes" or "no" answers are acceptable. You're going to get the facts. :D
  25. DVDMaster Jedi Master

star 4
    The details were announced today for this summer's big hit film Pirates of the Caribbean. The 2-disc set has a street date of 12/2/03. Hear's the good news...features galore: the discs will feature anamorphic widescreen video, Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, audio commentary w/ director Gore Verbinski & star Johnny Depp, a 2nd commentary with producer Jerry Bruckheimer & Keira Knightley, a 3rd commentary with the screenwriters, the "Epic at Sea" production documentary, deleted scenes, an effects progression reel, trailers, interactive timelines and more.

Looks like Buena Vista is going to do the DVD release up right! :D :D
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.