DVDs (non-Star Wars)

Discussion in 'Orlando, FL' started by Sabacc, Jul 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Since, at the very least, a couple of us are DVD hounds, here's a place to talk about new aquisitions, new releases, anything else relating to the format.

Anyone going to get the Batman Animated Series Season 1? It comes out today and I'm considering it, but haven't committed. The only other title that intrigues me is The Butterfly Effect, but I've not seen the movie and won't risk buying it unseen.

For anyone looking for the lowest prices on new releases (in a Bricks and Mortar capacity) I suggest checking Blockbuster. Many new releases there are $12.99 if you trade in any used DVD. -Campbell

ps- for the lowest prices online I'd suggest checking DVDPriceSearch.com
  2. Pikaroth Force Ghost

star 3
    I would just like to tell everyone to rush out and get the newly released 13 Going On 30 on DVD. Yes, it's already a great movie, one of the years best, but why should you pay top dollar for it? Two free videos! That's right! Found on this disc is none other than the videos for Love is a Battlefield *and* Jessie's Girl!

It's only $15 at Target -0-, so there is no excuse not to pick it up today!

Brandon
  3. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
    Campbell,

Blockbuster no longer does that. I went last week to get Starsky and hutch and I was disappointed that they no longer do that. The manager said that they were going to do something new in the next month or so. Something about getting a 10 gift certificate.

Also Kill Bill Volume 2 comes out Tuesday.
  4. chewbacca1138 Jedi Knight

star 2
    One month, three days until THX comes out in the theater! One month, seven days until THX comes out on DVD!!

Stefanie is happy... :)
  5. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks for the info, Dale. I'm disappointed too, I got some good deals on that, and it was one of the very few reasons I trek to Blockbuster.

If anyone wants to be tantilized by upcoming DVD cover art, here's a great link:
    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/upcomingart.html

Unfortunately, there are about a dozen titles included that I "must have."

Including the semi-pretty good heirloom, THX-1138. -Campbell
  6. JediScout Jedi Master

star 1
    I just picked up GoodFellas and Taking Lives today. Which by the way are both outstanding movies, and I highly recommend them.
  7. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    For many, The Ladykillers and Jersey Girl were two of the biggest letdowns of the year. I just bought both today, having seen neither and really liking each director's works, and am very happy. The Ladykillers is a better movie than the movie it remakes (starring that fibbing Jedi, Alec Guiness) and Jersey Girl features several Roadside Attractions short films- two of which were shot here in Central Florida.

I also picked up a cheap copy of Depeche Mode 101, and am putting a lot of thought into investing in Clerks X. Anyone get that yet?
  8. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm happy with both of the movies now that I've seen them. The order I await now is Clerks X and the 2-disc of THX. For those of you who will pick it up in store tomorrow, I salute you, but happily found what I see as the best deal, through Amazon.

Exercising a little control, my next purchases will probably be Rivers and Tides in 2 weeks, and the 10th Anniversary version of Shawshank the following Tuesday.

Yes, I realize I'm virtually treating this as a blog, but heck, if no one else is going to post...

ps- If you are considering getting Jersey Girl but are not sure, note that on the commentaries Smith repeatedly explains that this edition was a quick rig and a 2-disc version will be out within a year.
  9. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    I watched Confessions of a Dangerous Mind today.

I'm going to start posting each movie I watch (almost all seem to be on DVD) until I get bored or someone else starts posting. -Campbell
  10. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    I watched THX 1138 the other day. Interesting, if not a little dry. Good first effort, though.

L8r
  11. raiza123 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I haven't seen either yet. My most recent movies I've seen were Matchstick Men which I thought was decent. Brother Bear - I laughed, I cried. And during the hurricane I watched too many movies to even remember what I saw. It was almost 2 straight days of movie watching until I went stir crazy and went running. Yes, running in the hurricane. Talk about resistance training - HA!
    Melanie
  12. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    That's funny, we hadn't even mentioned Matchstick Men. I watched it 2 days ago while still cooped up at my hotel. Odd coincidence.

Alas, today's movie was Serendipity.
  13. RogueScribner Force Ghost

star 4
    I saw the first act of MM, but turned it off 'cause I was bored to tears.

I haven't seen Serendipity yet. That's with John Cusack and Kate Beckinsale, right?

Hmmm, other recent watches (past 30 - 45 days) . . . The Girl Next Door (meh, not as fun or titillating as it should have been given the premise), The Deer Hunter (takes a while to get started, gets really good, then kinda tapers off), Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (pretty good flick), Emma (not funny enough to be funny, not dramatic enough to be dramatic, I gave it a shot, but I had to turn it off about halfway through due to boredom), Ghosts of the Abyss (pretty good Titanic doc; the focus was skewed towards the mission rather than the history, though), and Timeline (okay movie, see comments below).

So, there's my viewing since mid-August or so. I've still got 75 movies in my rental queue. Slowly but surely . . . :)

Regarding Timeline, I was eager to see this because it was a Richard Donner adventure movie. Recently, those have been few and far between. So the fact that the movie is just "okay" is disappointing. The script needed serious work. The direction was fine. But as a producer, Donner should have recognized the script needed work and not have started shooting until it was fixed.

Anyhoo, the biggest unintentional laugh I get from the movie is Paul Walker. He is so horribly miscast. Not only that, but as the promoted star of the movie, you'd think his character would be the focus, or at least part of the focus. Nope. For a protagonist, he does very little but complain. If anyone watches this movie, pay attention to his character. He's taken to other locations and events by far more interesting characters. The supporting players are more fully developed than his character. They also do more that affects the story. Paul Walker is simply along for the ride. He's Luke Skywalker, if Luke never attempted to rescue the Princess, swing across the chasm, shoot a laser gun, blast TIE fighters, make the run on the Death Star, and fire the winning shot to save the day. Paul. Walker. Does. Nothing. In. The. Entire. Movie.

True story. :)

L8r
  14. Ia-Bou Jedi Knight

star 3
    ok, Aaron and I watched Eternal SUnshine last night...i think it just came out on DVD....awesome movie...defenitly still cool on the second viewing
  15. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Thursday: Criss Cross (1949 version of the book Criss Cross)
    Friday: The Underneath (1995 version of the book Criss Cross)
    Saturday: THX 1138 Director's Cut

I liked THX more now than I had in previous viewings. I also am happy with all the additions I've noticed. And most of them are fairly noticeable even if you've never seen the picture. That makes it sound like some of the changes don't fit, but in general I think they work very well. In the commentary it's interesting to note that Lucas and Murch never mention any of the new changes. Just like the commentaries of the new SW OT versions. The THX documentaries are very good as well. -Campbell

(in answer to the question above, Serendipity is the Cusack/Beckinsale flick. I didn't like it much, though it was nice to see a fellow named John obsessing over a gal named Sarah)
  16. Sabacc Jedi Master

star 4
    Today's movie was SCHIZOPOLIS.

Wanting to buy the 10th Anniversary edition of SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION this week, but have not decided whether or not to get the deluxe box set (which appears only to have the soundtrack added along with a slightly nicer box).
  17. raiza123 Jedi Knight

star 2
    I know I've watched a ton of movies on & off over the hurricane weekends and during the last week but for the life of me can't remember more than a few. Obviously these movies didn't mightily impress me. If only I had kept an ongoing post to track them and my thoughts. Ah well. I've tried reading some but with everything else going on in my life have had no time. I actually have resorted to holding a sort of cerulean figurine hostage in order to make plans for lunch/dinner with a certain friend of mine.
    Between work and everything else I wonder when it's ok to breath nor less when it's ok to watch movies or tv. Thank the Force for TIVO! The best concept ever, VCR's bastard cousin. OK, well enough on this, more later.

Melanie
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.