main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD DVDs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Sam and Max DVDs: Teh Awesome.

Serenity Sequel: Someone tell me when the special edition DVD comes out here so I can buy it. If throwing money at Universal is what it takes, then throw money I shall.

2. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
  3. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Excellent. With the Jade Monkey, the road map and driving gloves, it is all falling into place... :p

But seriously, quandry time. I bought the R4 DVDs of "Futurama" which are excellent editions, however I haven't seen "Bender's Big Score" on any local release slate. And I'm kind of reluctant to buy the R1 release, as I'm the picky kind of geek who likes to keep all their DVDs from a certain show to the same Region :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

4. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    <hypnotoad> Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. Buy it. </hypnotoad>

Brilliant.

5. o__O

o__O Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2007
    Ill buy it! ill buy it anyway!!!

6. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    My intention is to have it, ahem, described to me in advance of a local release. I'm too lazy to import DVDs. Regions don't fuss me greatly now I know VLC ignores them, I just prefer to wander into JB and snap up a copy, rather than faffing around with international shipping and the like.

If the local release is at the same time as the US release, however, or only a few days after, no description shall be necessary.

EDIT: "The new morons at Fox present: Futurama!" Hee hee. [face_laugh]

7. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    A couple of new releases just popped up, and while I haven't nabbed them yet, they're definitely on my "Future Acquisitions" List.

The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries - set in the 1920s and follows the adventures of a recently widowed high society lady and her chaffeur as they potter around the countryside solving murders. What makes this is Diana Rigg's asides to the camera.

Jonathan Creek - Series 1 - follows a magician's illusion engineer and his journalist sidekick as he solves "impossible" crimes. The charm of this series comes from Alan Davies subdued performance. He'd make a good futrue Doctor Who too, actually...

Shakespeare Retold - A boxed set of the four movies at a decent price, rather than the pricey 30+ bucks a pop. Good cast, and if it's anything like The Canterbury Tales that was done a few years back now, it will be good.

I finally also tracked down a copy of The Singing Detective series. Hopefully it'll still be there next month :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

8. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006

My brother and I came to an accord - He buys me Martian Successor Nadesico for my birthday, and I buy him DVDs of equal or similar value for *his* birthday.

So now I have Nadesico, and apparently I bought him the Monty Python box set. I think that worked out well. [face_thinking]

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Oh good gravy. Ever wanted 4, no wait, 5 versions of Blade Runner (theatrical, international theatrical, director's cut, 'workprint', and the new Final Cut) in one overpriced, ostentatious box? Well December 19's your lucky day, kids!

This is just getting stupid. I guess Ridley Scott is the new George Lucas now.

10. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Yeah, that boxset is way too overpriced.

If you want it, order it from Amazon.com; I got mine for less than $80 including shipping. Won't get here 'til after the New Year, but it'll be worth the wait.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

11. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Well I do want the theatrical, directors cut and the final cut. But yeah, maybe not for that much.

PLus, I do LOVE the movie, but how often do I actually get around to watching it?

Maybe it's not Ridleys fault, and Harrison now has stuff in his contract about multiple dvd release that he has ample cut of :)

American Graffiti the R(18) version anyone...

12. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    There's always the four disc version. It's US$25 (and pretty damn close to that in Australian dollars) and has everything except the extravagant packaging and Workprint Version. That's all the versions you'll want to see, and far, far more extras than you'll ever get around to. As far as I can tell, this isn't getting an immediate local release, which is a shame, because it's terrific value.

I've preordered this one.

13. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Today's purchase: Transformers. Booyah. JB have a really freakin' sweet black embossed metal case, much higher quality than EZ DVD's infamous tins (think the Bioshock collector's edition, it's very similar to that). Autobot logo on the front, Decepticon on the back. Is most awesome.

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Huh. Watching the features on the Alien Ressurection DVD as I am often wont to do, and our Lord and Savior Joss Whedon pops up in the interviews. It had completely slipped my mind that he had written the screenplay for it :oops: That make a bit of sense though.

Anywho, back to my featurettes.

15. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    My understanding is that he only sort-of wrote the screenplay. Maybe it's bias, but the way I hear it, he wrote the good bits of the film. Certainly the Betty's crew has a certain indefinable Firefly-esque bent to them...

But anyway, let's direct our attentions to David X Cohen's latest interview regarding the return of Futurama. Highlight:

" A full-length 22-minute episode of "Everybody Loves Hypnotoad". Let me say to any hardcore fans out there who know what I'm talking about that there is slightly more to this than you'd expect. I am pretty interested to see how fans react to this one. I'd estimate that approximately 4% of viewers will consider this the greatest achievement in the history of mankind; the other 96% may experience emotions ranging from fear to confusion to discomfort and itchiness. "

EDIT: And because there's no news whatsoever on an international release date, I just said frak it and ordered the region 1 version from Amazon. Love that weak American dollar, the exchange rate is fantastic right now.

16. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    My understanding is that he only sort-of wrote the screenplay. Maybe it's bias, but the way I hear it, he wrote the good bits of the film. Certainly the Betty's crew has a certain indefinable Firefly-esque bent to them...

I dunno, I was reading through his first draft and I wouldn't really say he "sort of" wrote it.

All glory to the Hypnotoad. Sounds like eye-scratchingly, brain-melting fun.

17. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Maybe I'm wrong. That's just what I heard. I defer to your Alien Resurrection knowledge, it being far greater than my own. :p

18. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Squee!

That's the Region 1 release. Lets hope we get a local.

In other news, true to my threats, I picked up Transformers (in that very cool tin, thanks for the heads up BBN. I like my cases to be able to take shellings :p), Shakespeare Retold and The Mrs. Bradley Mysteries. There was also another release, but that's to be discussed in another thread :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

19. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I second that Squee! :D Fandabbybabulous...

20. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Lets hope we get a local.

You're in luck.

Pity the nice cover's ruined by that big honking green 'G' on the front. Sigh. Still, I'll be picking this up. I bought Toy Story the other day, as the first step in completing my Pixar collection. Now I just need A Bug's Life, Toy Story 2 and Finding Nemo.

21. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Don't forget Cars and Monsters Inc!

HARRY POTTER 5 DAY!
    I quite liked this one and will be watching it tonight most probably.

Also bought Happy Feet..purely for the kid. Movie kinda irks me for some reason. REALLY wanted to buy Jungle Book, but it was $30 too and he wasn't that keen. But definitely on my list. OOOh and almost got Chitty Chitty Bang Bang too. Having a kid is such a god excuse to buy kids movies :)

22. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Birthday gift vouchers + a market full of budget DVDs = a very decent haul.

Triple Feature: Waiting for Guffman / Best in Show / A Mighty Wind
    Spinal Tap is one of my all-time favourite movies. This was a very economical opportunity to check out all of Christopher Guest's pseudo follow-up mockumentaries in one go. Guffman and Best in Show are both hilarious. They're full of endearingly dispicable characters who deserve everything that's coming to them. I can't wait to see A Mighty Wind, which reunites the Spinal Tap players as "The Folksmen".

Die Hard
    I missed the whole 4.0 craze. Truthfully, I haven't even given 1.0 a fair go - I really enjoyed it on my first and only viewing, but that was far, far too long ago. But I am very willing to believe Tim and Brandon's assessment of Die Hard as part of the Holy Action Trinity (alongside Terminator 2 and Aliens), so I'm really looking forward to revisiting this.

The Royal Tenenbaums
    I love Wes Anderson's movies. He can turn deadpan dialogue and long silences into an art form.

The Rutles
    I've heard very good things about this. The list of guest stars alone (s: Dan Aykroyd, John Belushi, Mick Jagger, George Harrison, Paul Simon) should make this worthwhile.

The Dinner Game (Le Diner De Cons)
    A hilarious french movie about wealthy yuppies with an ongoing contest: to find the biggest idiot and invite him to dinner. This time, the idiot in question manages to (completely innocently) ruin his host's life, making every situation worse with his "help".
    This is the first of a trilogy of movies by writer/director Francis Verber, each starring a different well-natured simpleton called Francois Pignon. The second, The Closet, is also well worth checking out.

The Mighty Boosh (Season One)
    My experiences with this show range from mildly agreeable to absolutely hilarious. I'm not entirely sure what to think on the balance, but clips like this and this tell me I just might love it.

The Iron Giant
    Every time I hear about this movie it's in a hushed, awed whisper. I can't imagine regretting this purchase.

Doctor Who: Inferno
    The Brigadeer's eyepatch makes this the Doctor's darkest adventure to date.

The Expurgiated Micallef Tonight
    Shaun Micallef's short-lived variety show was - by the admission of all involved - far from perfect. As Andrew Denton points out on the back cover, Micallef had never done interviews or live television before this point, and Channel Nine had no idea what they wanted, "much less what they were getting". The show was at its best when it sent up variety show conventions, and at its worst when it conformed to them. On the whole, though, the show had many hilarious moments that well and truly justify this DVD release.

Children of Men
    Loved the first ten minutes. I am now writing this extra-long post to kill time while the repairmen fix a water leak. I hope they wrap up soon, because I'm itching to see the rest!

23. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    For only two more hours (until 5pm Tuesday our time, from what I can gather) the complete seven-season Buffy set is selling for US$95 on Amazon. This is a brilliant opportunity for someone like me, who missed the Buffy bandwagon altogether, only joined the Joss Whedon camp with Firefly, and is getting a strange rash on his upper left ankle it might be worth seeing the doctor about.

Now, which will arrive first: the deadline or the paycheck?
    The race is ON.

24. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006

Attn: Robotech fans

I was in JB HiFi today avoiding going back to the office (as one does) and I came across this "Protoculture Collection" or something to that effect. It's about $139? and contains 21 discs worth of stuff relating to the Macross Saga, The Masters and New Generations and whatnot - some 2000 odd viewing hours.

So I come for information - is it feasible that it contains the complete serieses as stated? Was very tempted to get it, but thought I'd withold from the purchase til I'd asked more enlightened people. :p It does look very shiny...

25. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    It does look very shiny. But considering you can get the R1 version for under $100.00 Australian, I say just order it from Amazon.com.

I recently picked up a few more titles myself.

Firstly, Highlander: The Search for Vengeance. I'll put up a review in the anime section later. Sufficed to say, this long time disgruntled Highlander fan enjoyed it.

Some people say that Buddhism was brought to the West when the Dalai Lama fled to India in 1959. Others say it was actually when Monkey started showing in the late 1970s. :p

Regardless of which is true, I picked up the entire Monkey collection; I've been singing the closing credits theme song for the past day. This is another slice of my childhood, and something my dad insists his grandkids should see. Yeah...not for a very long time...

I also picked up the Sharpe Collection. These were 14 telemovies (15 were made, one only in the last two years) starring Sean Bean as a British soldier during the Napoleonic Wars who's bumped up from grunt to officer and has many swashbuckling adventures. By all accounts, after watching all of these I'm either going to want to be Sean Bean or I'm going to want Sean Bean. I'll let you know how that turns out :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.