main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD DVDs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    It would fit so nicely on my shelf though :p Yes, to Amazon indeed... Wait a sec, I can't play R1 stuff! [face_thinking]

Which reminds me yet again, I'm going to have to borrow Monkey from someone/anyone at some point in time so I can see if I should acquire it myself or not. I recall enjoying it back in the day, but I can't recall much past that except that one of the guys I used to know looks exactly like one of the guys in the show.

2. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Agree with the Buddhism comment MD. I remember being quite young and being quite interested in what this Monkey religion was all about. Also got to use some of the actual stories in an ancient China project when I was on prac teaching. Monkey good, and am awaiting the time I feel the munchkin is ready for said viewing.

Just remembering photos of me and my friends dressed up as Monkey Pigsy and Sandy and realising I was about 6 in those photos..I think. Hmmmm.. well it doesn't seem too much more violent than Pokemon. 6 it is. Will gather people for an indoctrinating viewing of the child when the time is right. I get the feeling there is much he needs to be made to see :)

3. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Have you tried searching for an unlock code for your DVD player model? I tracked down a sequence of numbers for mine, presumably designed for manufacturer use. Once entered, it asked me for a region number. I changed it to zero, and since then all has been right with the world. (Give or take a few units of rightness.)

Not only is this morally dandy (having encouraged significantly more DVD purchases), I'm assuming (perhaps naively) that it's legal, as this is an in-built function with no actual hacking involved. Every citizen of Planet Earth deserves the God-given right to order DVDs from Amazon.com, damnit.

4. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I'm not sure what the model no is for it, is the problem - we couldn't find any of the DVD player's documentation the last time we tried to do that.

5. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    Shaun of the Dead + Hot Fuzz = $15.998 = Good Times

6. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Saw a DVD in a catalogue I REALLY want to find today. Thing is I can't remember which catalogue or which store :(

It's the Rankin Bass Stop-motion animations Christmas specials of Rudolph and Frosty and another couple. I ADORED these as a kid and keep missing them each year wherever they're put on free to air TV. I hope the kid'll love them too.

So I begin my quest on this rainy Sunday to find it. I travel to the place of towers to seek gifts for loved ones on this day and will find this final treasure before my heart and feet give out. Fare thee well and send good spirits to aide me.

It's early. Need more sleep. Anyone that knows where I might get this DVD in the city today, sms me and save me some walking :)

7. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Mission accomplished..finally. Rudolph and Frosty

Frosty's a cartoon though..would've sworn it was stop motion like Rudolph. Now just have to get Peter Cottontail at Easter and all will be well. JB were out of stock..EZYDVD were out of stock. Thought I'd try Target and found them on a cheapie table. Cool.

Also got a couple other DVD's for presents. Spiderman 3..which I don't and won't OWN! :) Niece's boyfriend should like.

8. Grieyls

Grieyls Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 2, 2000
    Latest aquisition includes Transformers... Yeah I know I'm late but hey had to get that job first ;)

9. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    watched Rudolph with the kid last night.

Firstly, I really don't remember this show being crap! But it was! Hate it when one of your childhood memories is completely unbased in reality. Songs were crap, story was crap, overall feel was crap.

Secondly the kid got so freaked out by the snow monster he made us turn it off and this morning wouldn't walk into the living rom until I'd put the DVD away! awwwwww. scarred him for life.

Not so thrilled with my latest acquisition. Will watch Frosty before I let him see it.

:(

Oh but did get the Merlin mini-series for $8 from Coles yesterday.

10. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Nice - Merlin (if I remember correctly) was really quite good.

11. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    I remember quite enjoying Merlin.

Picked up a Blackadder season for a Pressie today. They're $13 in Target if anyone's interested! All seasons.

I also want to buy the box set of BSG. All Voyager or DS9 for under $280. I remember paying close to 180 for a single season of Next Gen once upon a time. Granted I rarely watch these things I buy for visual pleasure, but it's great when you REALLY want to and there it is.

One day..one day.. I'm still haunted by images of MD's dvd collection wall that I snuck a look at at the Election party. YEs.. even rivals G's.

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006

Alright - I has the shiny new 2006 BBC rendition of Jane Eyre on DVD. It was a little bit pricey being just realeased, but hotdamn, it will be so much better than the other copies I have. *dances*

13. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Cracker Seasons 1, 2 & 3 ($20/ea)

One of the BBC's most intense and downright brilliant crime dramas. Robbie Coltrane's performance as Fitz is incredible. He's as flawed as a human being can get, but despite this (perhaps because of it) he's every bit as likeable. The stories are gritty and often devastating, and in an odd way, that adds to the charm. Television doesn't get much more utterly absorbing than this.

I only managed to catch a handful of episodes when the ABC repeated this a few years ago - not an ideal way to watch it when each story is serialised over three weeks. Even then, I loved what I saw. I feel like I owe it to myself as a fan of good storytelling to experience every moment of this show. It's just that good.

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Right, I've spent a bunch of moneys again down at JB Hi-Fi, but at least I've knocked off two christmas presents to get. Just have to decide who out of Dad and my brother is getting Die Hard, and who is getting Indiana Jones... [face_thinking]

On another note, I picked up Doctor Who Season 1 for about $60 odd. Definitely better than $100 as it was previously marketed, but I'll probably see it next year for $30ish and will be kicking myself.

15. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Another Amazon 24 hour sale: Arrested Development Season 1, 2 & 3 bundle for $30!

These sales are amazing value if you can catch them. Just a few days ago they were selling the complete James Bond set for about $100. Sadly but unsurprisingly, that sold out in a flash.

You can keep track of the Gold Box Deals with this RSS Feed. Alternatively, if you visit Ain't It Cool News, keep a close eye on the right hand TV section. The TV editor has been very reliable lately in drawing attention to the better DVD sales.

16. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I just bought the Ghostbusters 2 pack in preparation for the game. Hoo boy that game is going to be swell.

17. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    Just got my latest order in the mail:

Bladerunner: 4 Disc Edition - I really don't have the room for that big box and won't miss the 5th Disc.

Diehard 4: Not so kiddie friendly version - it's amazing how a few F-bombs and some blood spraying can improve a movie and bring it back to the way it should always have been. ;)

Planet Terror - Haven't watched it yet but it's Robert Rodriguez... I love his movies!

Battlestar Galatica: Razor - Brilliant addition to the BSG series! Just seeing the original Cylon Raiders and Centurions in action during the First Cylon war is worth the price of the DVD. "This has all happened and will happen again." [face_whistling]

Arrested Development: Season 3 - Sad that this is the last of such a brilliant series. :(

18. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Sad, but oh, what a brilliant ending. Last night my brother, sister and I watched all of season three in a marathon sitting. It was an absolute joy to see the reactions of two first time viewers. And I certainly wasn't complaining at the chance to see it all again. I'm still amazed at the hidden details you can miss even second time around.

In a way, I'm glad Mitch Hurwitz declined the offer to make more. There's no Fireflyesque sense of an infant show robbed of a future. The show ended on a high and on its own terms. So many series outstay their welcome. Sometimes it's a blessing to be left wanting more.

19. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh hey - less than 12 hours after promising myself that I would stop buying things like DVDs because I need to save my money, I decided to hit JB HiFi at lunch time and they had the complete first season of The Jetsons for $15.98. Also had the flintstones (various seasons), though I didn't grab any of those.

Retro-futurism is so much fun... Hee. :)

20. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
  21. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    With gusto!

HELL YES! :D

22. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Oh hey, this one slipped back a bit.

New Acquisitions!

I resolved just before Christmas that due to my and my family's love for Hayao Miyazaki films, I'd pick some up when I could. So recently I grabbed:

Princess Mononoke. Brilliant. Amazing. Insert your choice of positive adjective here.
    Porco Rosso. Actually my favourite. Yes planes, predictable, I know. Least I'm consistant.
    Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind
    Laputa ? Castle in the Sky
    Howl?s Moving Castle. Gorgeous.
    Spirited Away. Excellent but overrated.
    Kiki?s Delivery Service. Cute.
    My Neighbour Totoro

I've also rounded out my Pixar Collection and made my Blood Offerings to John Lasseter with:

Ratatouille
    Cars. I should thank BBN and Sammich for helping convince me of this purchase; they championed the film recently and reminded me how good it is.

Finally, my Blade Runner ? Five Disc Ultimate Collector?s Edition turned up, so I can stop fretting about that. A briefcase full of Blade Runner is a pretty cool way to wake up in the morning.

Finally, the great Stardust has finally made its way to DVD. Love this film.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

23. Kahlan72

Dec 27, 2000
    Ah..yes the DVD thread so we know what we can ask to borrow :)

Bladerunner set..almost bought it the other day, but will beg for a borrow or a viewing soon MD.

My latest buyings were Chicken Run, Mouse Hunt and Muppet's Treasure Island. Nice to have a kid to buy for. Not that I don't love these myself. Munchkin is walking around quoting Chicken Run
    "I don't want to be a pie!" in the coolest English accent

Bought Flying High 1&2, although will part with it as it was supposed to be a present.

Next on my list of really would likes are: Stardust, Jungle Book, and the BSG boxset, but I'll probably be swayed by the $8 table at target first. It's amazing how much more appealing a movie is, that you might not have thought of owning, when it's under $10!

24. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh yeah. DVDs.

Recent purchases have included:

The Big O: Season 1 (Giant robots!)
    Stardust (Sky Pirates!)
    Life as a House ($7! Oh, and really good film.)

Watership Down (After a year of searching...)
    Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (And wouldn't you know, they bring out a special edition just after I buy the regular one. ARGH!)
    Ninja Scroll (I dunno. Ninjas?)
    Little Women (Because I haven't replaced my VHS copy yet.)
    The Fountain (Because someone reminded me of existance and I remember how much I sniffled. And woo, pretty costume!)

25. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Today I decided to use the JB gift card I got for Christmas and so I picked up La Vie en Rose starring Marion Cotillard as Edith Piaf (and suddenly I'm craving coffee). The limited edition came with the soundtrack also, so I've put that on. Wooo.

Also picked up Adventures of Don Juan starring Errol Flynn, so yay. They also had The Charge of the Light Brigade but I don't get paid til tomorrow...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.