main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD DVDs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    My Supanova DVD haul can be summed up as a whole bunch of Doctor Who. In fact, I think I might go watch some of this haul right now.

I picked up... Season 2 of the New Series (I think I pinched the last copy out of the Shogun's hands, but to be fair he did the same thing and pinched that copy out of my hands 3 minutes earlier, so I don't really feel guilty), Talons of Weng Chiang, Robots of Death, The Hand of Fear, and I think there was another one, but I can't remember.

Anywho... Oh, I also recieved my Kate Miller-Heidke DVD thing in the mail today, so yay.

edit: The Time Warrior - that was the other one.

2. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    I was just thinking about how I was still waiting for my copy of the Sam and Max: Freelance Police DVD yesterday evening, and wouldn't you know it but it was waiting for me on the kitchen table when I got home. Awesome.

3. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
    Amazon will have five TV DVD Gold Box deals over the course of May 2. I believe the times here are Friday 5pm, then Saturday 3am, 7am and 11am.

Again, these Gold Box deals are impossibly good value and sell out far too quickly. More often than not, they're complete series sets or bundles of the genre shows we kids totally dig. And judging by past sales, the chances of a worthwhile show popping up are very, very good.

More information here. And when the time comes, watch this page.

Edit: Aaaand it turned out to be a bit of a dud. Oh well.

4. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Picked up a copy of The City of Lost Children on the weekend, and now I am going to sit and watch said copy. I expect I will enjoy it.

5. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I've had one of those great weeks where packages ordered months apart all arrive together. BEHOLD:

Venture Bros. Season 2
    In which the creators figure out exactly what sort of show they want to make, run with it, and somehow end up with David Bowie as a supervillain. I really liked the show before. I love it now.

Deadwood Seasons 1-3
    HBO sure know how to make their violent, profanity-laden modernised historial serials. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far, but given the show's repuation, I wouldn't have expected anything less.

Wonderfalls
    Another member of the crowded Quirky Show Axed Before Its Prime genre. Is it worth your time? The first ten minutes should give you a very clear opinion one way or the other.

Sam & Max
    It's so refreshing to see the show (A) in sharp DVD quality after watching low-quality clips recorded from VHS, and (B) finding so many creative ways to work around the censors.

Clerks: The Animated Series
    This clip is the only explanation necessary.

Star Trek Fan Collective: Captain's Log
    A good chance to dabble in some of the franchise's best moments without committing to a long-term relationship.

Children of Dune
    TV Tropes* says it best:
    "There was absolutely no Dune miniseries. There was a Children of Dune miniseries, and it was fantastic, but no Dune miniseries."

*I am morally obliged to change this link. But if you really, really don't plan on doing anything productive today, click here.

6. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    Oh God! I clicked the link and was reminded that Xander was the one that summoned the demon! I need vodka to re-erase my memory, stat!!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

7. Last_Chael

Last_Chael Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 25, 2006
    I've been pretty good lately with not adding to my dvd collection (despite temptations, I have to remind myself I jsut can't afford it) but the other day I splurged and finally bought 'How to Marry a Millionare'. As you all should know, I LOVE anything vintage, and figured I really should start hunting out 'vintage' movies to add to my collection. I'm mostly partial to the old musical movies (like my all time favourite, 'Singing in the Rain') so if you guys can suggest any, I'm all ears!

I've not yet watched it (ooops) but I'm saving it for a special occasion (along with 'Guys and Dolls' and 'Cabaret'which I picked up a little while ago), when I can indulge in a little Marilyn :D

8. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    (Double post)

9. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    It's not a musical, but The Adventures of Robin Hood transcends genre.

I ignored my own warning and clicked the TV Tropes link and suddenly it's two hours later and the sun has disappeared. Either we write a macro that disables tab browsing on that site, or we need some firmer preventative measures, starting with a new title. (There's always the option of not linking to it, but that's disrespectful. The website can't help it if it's that great.)

Just testing out some replacement titles here:
    "I read an article all about it on TV Tr***s"
    "...just like that page on The Site That Must Not Be Named"
    "...as you can see by this entry on FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DO NOT CLICK THIS LINK"

It's too late for the World of Warcraft players, but a lot of good people can still be saved here. Let's band together and solve this, people.

10. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
  11. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Tempting, but I'll wait until the series is done and dusted.

I picked up The Five Doctors 25th Anniversary Edition DVD yesterday and was going through the special features after work last night. They make a big deal about the Easter Egg on the first disc, and with good reason.

It's an additional commentary track recorded in 2006 with David Tennant, new series producer Phil Collinson and new series writer Helen Raynor (who wrote last season's Dalek two parter and this season's Sontaran two-parter), who are all sitting around getting drunk on champagne after a day of filming scenes for the episode Gridlock.

It's a neat commentary track by a bunch of fans who just happen to be working on the show's latest incarnation, and they're clearly having fun watching it, flaws and all. The only pity is that it was recorded before David Tennant actually appeared with Peter Davison in Time Crash. The bits I recall are Tennant saying he fancies Lalla Ward and that he reckoned Sarah Jane fancied the Fifth Doctor :p

The Five Doctors is itself good fun, and the other extras are neat as well. The other stand-outs are a featurette narrated by Paul McGann (with an updated version of the Eighth Doctor Title sequence??) discussing all the overt and covert links to the past in The Five Doctors, and a doco presented by poor Colin Baker about the 20th Anniversary Year for Doctor Who.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

12. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Meaning I should have given in to my consumerism and bought The Five Doctors yesterday instead of just grabbing Jane Eyre? [face_thinking]

Ah well, I can always pop into JB on my way to Wednesday drinks.

13. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I've had the plain old Five Doctors a while now. haven't watched it in a while though.

Bought season 5 and 6 of Buffy today for pretty cheap. Realised how much I liked this show after watching some episodes the last couple of days. Almost bought Stardust too, but bought new pillows and shoes instead. Oh it's a DVD thread not a general new stuff thread :)

Edit: that sounded like I'd never seen Buffy before. Don't wat to lose my geek points. Obviously have..just remembering how much I liked it.

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    My level of excitement at seeing Sam and Max in a format that isn't a low-quality .avi is probably higher than it should be. Nevertheless, JOY.

15. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Started watching the Timothy Dalton version of Jane Eyre this evening (yay BBC Period drama!). So far it has several very Doctor Who-ish things about it. :p

1. It's about as long as some of the longer Classic stories (11 episodes in total) but surprisingly few corridor scenes for that longevity;
    2. It has Mary Tamm/Romana 1 as one of the main sub characters, Blanche Ingram (win! [face_dancing]); and
    3. The lighting of some of the indoor sets just screams BBC studio set.

So far though, rather enjoying it. It's sticking mostly close to the book (which would probably go a long way to explaining its longevity), and so has retained some of my favourite scenes, and those scenes in the way they should be acted instead of flimsy Hollywood style sentimentalities replacing what would have been a much more powerful scene. It's not perfect, but it is doing a pretty good job otherwise. I have faith that the rest of it will be equally as good.

edit: Oh yeah, I did watch The City of Lost Children the other day, and as I suspected, I enjoyed it muchly. Was surreal, had a bunch of varied and intriguing characters, some very nifty visual styles... Yeah, I liked it.

16. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    The Discworld cartoons Soul Music and Wyrds Sisters are coming back to DVD. I haven't seen either series in full (the VHS versions being spread over two volumes each), so... yeah.

17. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh hell yes! :D I only ever got to see bits and pieces of Wyrd Sisters... It was on the ABC many, many times, but for some reason I always seemed to catch the same episode every time. [face_thinking]

18. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    I too have only memories of half seen episodes and already seen viewings..I think I saw an episode last on the ABC only a year or so back. Though I'm still yet to watch Hogfather or....the other one...memory..bad, all the way through. LOVE Pratchett anything but something seems to be stopping me from remembering or watching anything all the way through. Must be some kind of magic.

19. Loch-doubt

Loch-doubt Jedi Youngling

Jun 11, 2008
    Tonight I picked up Battlestar Galactica 1,2&3 for $70. Borders have a 3for2 deal, and all 3 seasons of BG. Sweet!

20. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    There's a tiny consumer whore in me telling me I should take advantage of that deal - especially as I haven't caught up with BSG yet. Good thing/Unfortunately I'm broke... [face_thinking]

21. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    The Amazon Fairy (hello to that imagery) left another parcel on my doorstep this morning containing:

Empire Records - Bootleg Fan Edition, a movie guaranteed to cheer me up.

Futurama - The Beast With A Billion Backs, gotta love the retro artwork on the packaging.

Battlestar Galactica: Razor, the extended edition, with this I now do what others here are doing and start making my way through BSG from the beginning.

Mystery Science Theatre 3000 - The Movie, finally got a legit copy :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

22. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I see the Amazon Fairy as Santa Claus for grown-ups (and that's completely ignoring the imagery Magnus insinuated above). I await the next delivery with the same childlike anticipation, and have a habit of literally and gleefully running up to any parcel left ouside. As I did to this one today:

From the Earth to the Moon - Tom Hanks's love letter to the Moon, in twelve hour HBO miniseries form. Focusing strictly on the American side of the space race, it oozes patriotism from every pore, but the Apollo program is worthy of that sincerity. Great production values, great packaging, great subject matter.

Veronica Mars Seasons 1-3 - After Heroes and Wonderfalls, this is phase three of Operation Convert Girlfriend To Excellent TV Shows. (I really need to find a better project naming committee.)

Dexter Season One - Nothing much to say that hasn't already been said. A brilliantly twisted show.

23. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    I'm inclined to agree, but for some reason I see it as one of the Futurama Amazons with cardboard wings. No idea why.

Anyway, HB I'd like to borrow From the Earth to the Moon from you once you've watched it, digested it, and the shiny newness has worn off. I've always wanted to see, but have not wanted to go in blind. It's an important series, not just for it's own content, but because without it we would never have gotten Band of Brothers, as this was Tom Hanks' first tentative foray into television production on a grand scale.

I've actually got to get into Veronica Mars as well, as I took advantage of the same (or similar) sale. Perhaps you should call it "Operation: Clockwork Orange"?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

24. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I'll be happy to lend it out within a month or two, although if the ownership bug gets the better of you before then, the price is still right.

Operation: Clockwork Orange would be priceless if, as a twist ending, it culminated with a screening of A Clockwork Orange itself. "You've been PROGRAMMING me?"

Priceless, but not at all advisable.

25. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.