main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD DVDs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lozza

Lozza Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    Actually the issue is that about 2/3s of the way through the 4th set (the blue lion box) Pidge and his lion change colour slightly - there is also a slight art change. But what is frustrating is that there are some scenes where the colour is "right". It's almost like they've taken old animation and mixed it with some new stuff.

2. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    This one's for kahli, as discussed on page 12 of this thread:

Faerie Tale Theatre is coming to DVD.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

3. HappyBob

HappyBob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 7, 2002
  4. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    The ninth disc is apparently an extras disc that was originally available with our R4 Alien Quadrilogy boxset, but was apparently dropped when it was converted to the slimline packaging (which I just picked up for about 30 bucks local money). It contains a nice swag of extras.

Duchess, as I recall you got the original boxset, is there a ninth disc in that one?

That price plus shipping is pretty good for two versions of two good movies, a bunch of extras, speculation on two other movie projects and two coasters :p

Also, I answered my own question; extras are dropped in R4 because the PAL picture quality takes up more bandwidth than NTSC, so "unimportant" extras are usually dropped. However, given that the original version of "supernatural Season 1" in R4 was barebones, but then the "special edition" re-release (given the popularity of the show over here) contained all the extras previously dropped, there's obviously something else in play here.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

5. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Our version wasn't an original box - if I recall correctly, dad purchased each 2-disc edition of the Alien movies separately. I wasn't aware there was a box set of those before the slimline one that came out recently. But yeah. no ninth disc with ours as I recall. Will grab Paul's copy of the Slimline box though and inspect. Can't remember if it's just the same stuff or not.

6. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    As I said earlier, surely somebody out there has done an in-depth study on the PAL extras issue. If not, it's a PhD thesis just waiting to be written. And I hadn't considered PAL signals taking more space. That's the most logical reason I've read so far for independently compiled US/international releases.

I only just bought the two "real" Alien movies, but they'll soon be entertaining two mystery eBay buyers. I'm intrigued by the idea of Alien 3/4 featurettes honest enough to ask "what went wrong?" and "what might have been?" Joss Whedon's original script for Alien Resurrection should also be an interesting read.

Edit: Could this be history's longest boxset? Apparently it's about 1.8 metres. That's more than my height!

7. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    Doesn't the Prisoner box set (the Australian series set in a womens' prison) have like 156 discs or something? Like 17 seasons?

I'm too lazy to look it up, but I've seen it and I know it's stupendously big. Like, as physically long as that unfolded shot.

8. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I understand it's a metal frakking briefcase filled with individual DVD cases.

[image=http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41G%2BvCy7NnL._SL500_AA240_.jpg]

I'd look for first-hand confirmation online, but my morbid curiosity refuses to stretch that far. It would also mean confirming somebody paid real human money for this... thing.

9. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Oh, okay. I thought it was super long, like the 20 disc James Bond set. That thing is the definition of unwieldy.

10. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    But it's a boxset that's in character; you could block attempted shivings and use it to lay down beatings that would get you in with the right gangs :p

Apparently the only people buying this set are the folks who worked on the show. Though every time I hear "Prisoner on DVD", I always have to mentally check myself as I'm always thinking of that other show of the same name, which was much shorter but infinitely better.

I'm sure there's a tech dossier somewhere, but it seems to be basically PAL vs NTSC differences when it comes to encoding.

The Alien 3 featurettes actually made me forgive David Fincher. Never thought that would happen. Let that be a guide to their interest and quality.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

11. NeecH

NeecH Jedi Master star 4

Feb 14, 2003
    I bought my Aliens Quadrilogy set from JB Hi-Fi when it was first released in Australia and it came with all 9 discs... weird that they decided to change it. That final disc is one of the best in the set.

12. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Hmm, it might be worth talking to JB about that then.

Anyway, more shineys from the Amazon Fairy:

Clerks ? 10th Anniversary Edition; been looking forward to this for a while.
    From The Earth To The Moon ? The Signature Edition; the price went back up to above US$50, then down to US$19.95 again, so I thought "why not?"
    Burn Notice ? Season One; I doubt I need to explain or justify this.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

13. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    As the self-appointed Amazon 24 Hour Sale Evangelist, it is my duty to inform those inclined to swoon to Colin Firth's Mr. Darcy that they can do so on the cheap until 5pm tomorrow.

14. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Already have it, but awesome. :) I think my only critisism I have for Amazon is they can never tell me what features a DVD has - this one claims to be a Special Edition, but I wanna know why it's so special [face_thinking]

15. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    That's why I go to TVShowsonDVD.com and Micahel D's Region 4 DVD Info Page before I buy DVDs ;)

EDIT: In other news, today I picked up:

The West Wing - The Complete Series; gotta love a left wing fantasy. Throwing this on the "To Watch" Pile...Smeg it's getting big!
    Heroes - Season 2; While I have issues with a lot of this season (both fairly and admittedly unfairly), there's still some great stuff in this season that even if executed poorly, is still neat. Adam gives Hiro an adversary worthy of him and all he stands for, and The Nightmare Man is a truly terrifying villain. Still fighting the urge to edit Heroes - Season 2: Ultimate Edition :p
    Dark City: Director's Cut; this one surprised me, only found out about it cos of this month's Empire which gave it a rave review. I love this movie, but originally the Director's Cut was "mute the sound until you see Kiefer Sutherland", so an actual official release is neat.

This is still a jaw droppingly awesome film, with a fantastic final "magical" battle, and a great twist on the traditional training montage, where Kiefer Sutherland manages to do an excellent turn as The Mentor in the "Old Ben" mold.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

16. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    Speaking of The West Wing - The Complete Series, I just ordered that from Amazon.co.uk, and through human error or divine intervention, they're charging less than the sale price. It's listed as £68 (very decent in its own right) until the final stage of payment confirmation, when it makes a substantial drop to £58.

Including postage, this brings it down to AU$140: $20 per season, and about 5 cents per "wow, what a great show" moment. If you're thinking about getting the series - as well you should - this is definitely the way to go.

17. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I do believe you're correct. I actually saw this... thing at an Ezydvd when I went to pick Battlestar Galactica: Razor a couple of months ago. Regardless of the program's quality (I've heard it was rather a fine series in its day), the packaging is just a little bit over the top. The packaging for the Deadwood deluxe edition and the Bond 20 disc deluxe sets were extreme, this one just takes the cake.

18. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Wow HB, I didn't even consider looking online for that set. Considering that's just over half of what I paid for the local version, that's an excellent deal. Well done.

In hindsight, I probably should have ordered the Region 1 version of this; hideously expensive (considering the not so great exchange rate now) but the packaging is just really cool (though it might not fare so well with international shipping), and the extras are more plentiful amongst the individual season sets.

Ah well, live and learn :p

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

19. BigBossNass1138

Mar 13, 2002
    Iron Man is on shelf at JB 2 days early. The packaging is really nice, and the big blue M is a sticker that peels off without leaving a mark.

That is all.

20. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Yes, Happy Iron Man DVD Day Everybody :p

There's a one disc version, a two disc version in a neat slip case, and a Mark III Mask DVD case on offer. Go the slip case version.

At this point, I think we can call the International Year of Super Billionaires Kicking Ass a resounding success!

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

21. Kahlan72

Kahlan72 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 27, 2000
    Just got the one disc version of iron man as I honestly rarely watch all the extras.
    Liked it jsut as much the second time, and it loked NICE on my new big screen. Glad they didn't use much of the extended/deleted scenes though!

Also finally got Transformers. The munchkin is stopping himself from watching it after I finally relented and said, yeah maybe there's some bits you could see. He said he should wait til he's older.

Also got the pretty suitcase of Bladerunner. It's so pretty.

...actually that's yours MD hey? ;) I'll give it back eventually.

22. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Stopped into the local JB HiFi post-wedding yesterday and noted the Strathpine JB had the Robotech: Protoculture collection. Before I knew it I was walking out of the shop with it, feeling dizzy and wondering what had happened. :p

23. HappyBob

Mar 7, 2002
    I value the presence of DVD extras far more than I actually watch them, but I'm making a point to go through all of the Iron Man bonus features.

Right now I'm making my way through the 7-part Making Of, and so far I'm impressed. They've given a well-deserved amount of screen time to Stan Winston and the suit design. The look at pre-visualisation is also fascinating. I really wish more DVDs would be this thorough with the pre-production process, rather than cutting straight the old Actors Advertising The Movie You Already Own routine. Here, it's a good half hour before Downey Jr. appears at all. These features do exactly what they ought to: broaden the viewer's appreciation of the movie.

It's also funny to hear one of Stan Winston's designers claim Jon Favreau was "all smiles" upon first seeing the suit when the footage on screen flatly contradicts this.

The documentary on the history of the character is presented entirely by Marvel artists and writers, from which it both benefits and suffers. Interviewees will often reference this artist or that storyline as if it were common knowledge, giving very thoroughly detailed accounts without actually revealing what they're talking about. Some slicker editing could have made this more compelling, but it's still nice to see the comic folk get so much time in the spotlight. With a little patience, it's a solid crash course in the history of the character.

And bonus points for the inclusion for the Onion news report.

24. Luke_Sparkewalker

Luke_Sparkewalker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 23, 2001
    Yeah, i picked up that one as well. awesome stuff.

25. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Heh yeah.

Also picked up BSG Season 2.0 at Big W (it was under $30) so I guess I have no real excuse to not catch up on this season any more... [face_thinking]

Still need Season 1, 3 and razor though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.