main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:QLD DVDs

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by MarvinTheMartian, Mar 16, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I shall report back with all speed when I've checked them out. There doesn't look to be anything particularly fantastic on there, but for only $5 extra I figured what the hey.

2. Magnus_Darcrider

Magnus_Darcrider Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 24, 2005
    V for Vendetta doesn't have commentary or deleted scenes, and considering the two disc set is a 'Limited Edition', I'd hoped that it would come with a soundtrack CD like the Batman Begins set did. It does come with about a quarter or a third of the comic book though, and that's interesting if you haven't read the original. And really, you should.

The extras are the standard 'Making of', however there is some more interesting stuff than usual.

The two best are the featurettes detailing who Guy Fawkes actually was, and the creation of the original comic. They're brief; together they don't even run 30 minutes, but they are interesting. The Guy Fawkes featurette is obviously for those of us (read: Americans) who don't know who Guy Fawkes actually is.

For a great joke on that, go here.

Unfortunately in the comic featurette they don't interview Alan Moore. Understandable; the Snake God that lives in his head hates the film, even if David Lloyd thinks its a great adaption, and everyone's polite and doesn't mention that Mr Moore is bat-***-*******-loco. Genius, but crazy. Do a search for "Alan Moore + Lost Girls" and you'll see what I mean.

If you can get the two disc set for 30 bucks plus the comic, go for it. Otherwise, get the one disc version now or wait three months and the two-disc non-special edition will be widely available.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

3. morgan-aleghieri

morgan-aleghieri Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    K, went dvd shopping on saturday...

I have added Shaun of the Dead, Emma, Corpse Bride, Disney's Robin Hood (ftw..), Monty Python's Meaning of Life (2 disc special ed), Howl's Moving Castle...

Wanted to grab the Hitch-Hikers movie while it was cheap to add to the HHGttG collection but wasn't at strathpine... [face_thinking]

4. MarvinTheMartian

MarvinTheMartian Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 31, 2002
    There are some HOT specials at JB :D They have 3 for the price of 2 for a lotta box sets, like West wing which I was tempted in picking up, and babylon 5

Was going to get another stargate box, but I couldnt remember which ones i have :p so i got 3 musketeers instead, the Kiefer Sutherland version

LISTEN YOU SON OF A BITCH TELL ME WHERE THE CARDINAL IS DAMMIT!

5. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Language, Marv :eek:

But yes - Three Musketeers ftw.

it has Jack Bauer, a transvestite and a time lord :eek:
    Not to mention Pirates and Ninjas.

Chris O'Donnel just isn't my cup o' tea however. [face_thinking]

6. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    I'd actually hold off on buying the 'Babylon 5' DVDs Marv. The R4 sets have had a lot of problems, with aspect ratio being all over the place, image quality being terrible, and cutting the beginning off one of the episodes! Some of these problems may have been fixed with the more recent releases, but I don't know. You'd need to check with someone who knows better. But for the moment, the R1 sets are the way to go with that show.

Speaking of, which are better for 'Stargate: SG-1'? I know the first few box sets for R4 are missing extras, but what about the overall quality, etc? I also know we've gotten Season 9 before the US, so that must count for something. So meimei, Z, any thoughts or pointers?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

7. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Yeah?

I was much more tempted in West Wing....except if I arrive home with any more DVD box sets my family will give me the "you should be saving money" talk as they always do... [face_skull]

8. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Well I finally succumbed and got from Big W today:

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring
    The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers
    The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King
    Aeon Flux

Duchess, my local Big W had a few copies of HHGTTG movie still in stock, so if you want me to pick up a copy for you, let me know and I'll do that tomorrow.

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

9. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    That would be swell, mr wizard. :)
    I'll pay you back whence I see you next.

10. General Cargin

General Cargin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 15, 1999
    I never noticed any issues with aspect ratio in the B5 boxes, to be honest, aside from the issues that were common to all releases of the series. The episode that had the mastering issue with the beginning not added on was a Season 5 episode, specifically "The Fall of Centauri Prime", sadly one on the few good episodes of S5. But word on the street was that Warner Bros in Sydney were going to supply free replacements for the disc in question. I never got around to doing anything about it, because the word was also that you had to mail in the original disc. I'll do some more investigating and find out what the go ended up being...

QFT from MichaelD's

Refer to Michael D's Babylon 5 Season 1 review for visual examples of the problems Brandon refers to... Season 1 is the only set with that issue, and it's exclusive to one episode.

The B5 Movies Box, on the other hand... get Region 1 or don't bother buying it. The Movies box has the pilot episode "The Gathering", and the four TNT Movies of the Week: In The Beginning, Thirdspace, River of Souls, and A Call to Arms. The latter was the pilot for Crusade. However, because "The Gathering" and "In The Beginning" got a Region 4 release several years ago as a flipper, Warner Home Video decided to recycle the existing R4 masters for those two movies and put them on seperate discs, not bothering to include the commentaries that were included on the R1 releases. The other three MoWs got all the special features that R1 and R2 got. I ended up not bothering getting the R1 release because I acquired bootlegged copies of the R1 discs for the first two movies, and bought the R4 release.

11. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Oh yeah - I am weak.
    (LucasFilm bitch no. #3263827)
    I think they actually have that written on the pre-order docket [face_thinking]

12. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    Must not succumb to the urge. Must not click. So very tempted to buy... no... I won't do it. I already have those films. I cannae do it to myself.

13. Jamesolo

Jamesolo Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2005
    Picked up Memphis Belle for $9.95 at Jb. Nothing like a good war movie.

14. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    *waves hand*

You are Lucas' Bitch...

15. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    No... I am Ronald D Moore's bitch. I just picked up BSG Season 2.

16. BigBossNass1138

BigBossNass1138 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    *Shrug* Lucas already has more than enough of my money. He'll have to pony up something seriously special to make me buy those movies again, and this cash-grab ain't it.

RDM, on the other hand, still has relatively little of my money. And I figure I owed him, being the piratical, bit-torrenting scallywag I am.

17. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Welcome! :D

18. General Cargin

May 15, 1999
    Preach on Brother Tim, preach on.

19. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    So Say We All!

20. morgan-aleghieri

Mar 18, 2006
    Ah, highly valid statement indeed - Lucas does have too much of our cashy-money, and RDM not enough.

But do not forget, dear Sammich - you too have a pre-order receipt waiting to be swapped for DVDS. :eek:

21. Murder_Sandwhich

Murder_Sandwhich Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    I was So Say We Alling to the RDM thing, and I'm not sure if I do want to buy these versions of the OT. I probably hire them out, because I've never actually seen the unaltered OT.

22. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    It looks like it was made it Geroge's backyard, and in the film studio parking lot :p

And there's heaps of black lines arounds stuff like monsters and spaceships

23. kahli

kahli Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 1, 2000
    I may actually purchse them, as I don't currently own any of them on DVD and my vcr is no longer uder-friendly.

Does JB still have series 5 of the x-files magnus? I fear I have left it toooo late...

24. MarvinTheMartian

Mar 31, 2002
    Check out those boxes u nder the shelfs...theres always heaps of cool crap under them....just not when the staff are looking

25. Magnus_Darcrider

Nov 24, 2005
    Does JB still have series 5 of the x-files magnus? I fear I have left it toooo late...

I was in there today and looked but didn't see them. I'll call them tomorrow and see if they have them in stock. if they do, want me to get them for you if they're still at a reasonable price?

Be seeing you,

Magnus Darcrider

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.