main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive DVeditor's Gallery - Updated 2/20/06

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by DVeditor, Jul 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    Yes I am. :D

2. odj_310388

odj_310388 Jedi Knight star 5

May 30, 2002
    Heh one thing i've found with planets is its quite hard to find very high quality textures to use on the planets.

3. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Very true - that can be a problem at times. I generally take some high-res stock photos or pictures of my own and create the textures at 1.5X or 2X the size of the planet and use those. Works pretty well, but sometimes I have to basically re-paint the texture from a small part of the original image due to irregularities. ;) It's a great way to learn though!

4. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Yea it is a good way to learn just experimenting arround with it, I found if you take say 3 different textures and blend them all together into one big texture it makes a nice effect.

5. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Agreed - I've even taken things like rocks and water and mixed them before. Once the color correction takes place you can hardly tell. :)

6. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Wow, these are awesome, DVeditor! I love the landscapes -- they're quite beautiful. And the planets are wonderful as well. :)

7. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Thanks for the compliments - I'm glad you enjoyed them! :D

8. Darth_ArsnL

Darth_ArsnL Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2005
    WOAH! you have an incredible selection of work! thats some of the very best digital art I've ever seen!

Arsnl

9. Ellbobin

Ellbobin Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2004
    DVeditor, are you good at like everything?!

Great work man, love the escape one.

10. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Ellbobin posted on 8/31/05 8:05am
    DVeditor, are you good at like everything?! [hr][/blockquote] Hardly. :p I don't really consider myself an artist - these are just for fun. :D

Thanks for the compliments!

11. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Update:

Just added this picture I did last night in about and hour, and also wanted to present two images that odj_310388 and I worked on together. We started with a common texture and then sent the .psd file back and forth as we made changes to the layers. Then once we had a set texture we both took the file and ran with it. (The whole thing was his idea - very fun and great way to learn. :D)

Here's what he came up with, and here's mine. I kinda went against the common layout by only showing part of the planet but I like the results we both got. His background and atmosphere layers were especially good IMHO. :)

Enjoy!

12. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Update:

Long time no see! I haven't done a lot in the way of Fan Art lately but I did create this planet which was inspired by a still frame of Mustafar from Episode 3. You can get the full-res version here on SciFi-3D - many thanks to the guys over there for adding my work to the collection of great stuff they have there! :D

Enjoy!

13. Chilla

Chilla Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    :eek: Wow, I absolutley love these planets! =D= They're great!

14. FalconFan

FalconFan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2004
    Hey DVeditor!! Welcome back, and you come bearing "gifts," too! :p

What beautiful planet renders!! I can see how much effort you're putting into these, with all the wonderful texturing and lighting. I just love Mustafaar: the way you've depicted the surface turmoil, with glowing craters of varying sizes and also with some long "fissure volcanos" is very realistic (sort of the way I imagine Io's surface to be...) in terms of the geology...marvelous! It looks like the sort of place where one could really feel the Dark Side, eh? ;) And the beautiful blue planet really enchants me, with the stunning flare of the primary spilling over its horizon--it almost looks like ice sheets, with the faint "cracks" that are just visible in the terminator. This is an amazing image--just wonderful! The brown one looks almost like a fine granite marble, with the surface texturing you chose for it (and I just love the way you shade these--so realistic!), and the large yellow planet hints at a sulphurous surface--again, beautiful use of the "sun-flare" here. Any one of these could be for real--you should be doing "artistic interpretations" of planets for NASA! Great, great images, and a wonderful update!

FF

15. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Thanks very much for the kind words from both of you! :) I'm glad you guys liked what you saw and hopefully I can add to this little gallery sometime in the not-so-distant future. ;) I've been trying to do a few planets from the Star Wars Databank but have yet to complete them thanks to school and work assignments - you never know what will pop up one day... [face_whistling]

Thanks again!

16. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    Nice, DV, very nice. I love good digital art, and so quite enjoyed looking through your planets. :D Might even steal some and stick them in my webshots to cycle around on my desktop. :p

=D=

17. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Thanks very much for the compliment Tyi - sorry it took me so long to get back here and thank you. :p I really enjoy this stuff and even though I'm not one of the better artists out there it's a great way to burn creative energy. :D

Speaking of which...I recently took a stab at Utapau and submitted it to SciFi-3D like I did my version of Mustafar. Happy to say it was accepted (here) and I like the way it turned out overall. More late-night fun and ideas! ;)

18. odj_310388

May 30, 2002
    Good to see you doing planets again DV, your really good at them. ;) That being said I will make a few pointers on each one... The mustafar type planet has almost no atmosphere at all, which kind of bugs me cause all planets need a atmosphere! :D Also on the utapau type one, theres a atmosphere but the blue seems a bit to saturated, not realistic, plus there seems to be no atmospheric glow over the planet itself the outer atmosphere stops as soon as it hits the planet there is no gradual glow onto the planet. Just some minor things but I think if you sorted them out it could make the images look so much better, not that the surfaces dont look stunning already. :D

19. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    I greatly appreciate all forms or feedback odj. :D Your suggestions are solid and I'll try to keep that in mind as I make more of these. Every time I make something I'm always trying to do better than the last one so hopefully these will get better with time, eh? :p

Thanks again for stopping by!

20. That_Wascally_Droid

That_Wascally_Droid Jedi Knight star 6

Jul 29, 2001
    Wish I stopped by earlier :)
    Amazing stuff you have here!

21. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Oh wow, this is what I get for not turning on reply notification. :p Sorry I'm late, and thank you very much for stopping by!

Just as a fun note, but one of the first planets I ever made (Blue Dawn) was recently used to promote the Apple Student Gallery. You can currently see the picture here, but I also took a screenshot for my own records. ;) I was excited when they asked if it could be used there, and made a note on deviantART about it since I posted the image there a while back. I figured since it's in the first post of this thread I should make a note here too. :D

22. academygrad88

academygrad88 Jedi Master star 5

Apr 6, 2004
    That is beautiful. I need to learn how to make planets like that.

Which programs are you using?

I have Bryce 5.5 but I haven't been able to make anything as nice as your planets. Of course I am self taught, and by self taught I don't mean I read the instructions, but just sort of screw around with it until I accidently do something right. :p . I really need to look into taking a college class or something.

Great job!!

AG88

23. DVeditor

Dec 21, 2001
    Thanks for the compliments - I'm using Photoshop for all my work right now unless it's a Terraspace image in which case I use Terragen as well. :)

There are some awesome tutorials out there that can help you see how other people create their images - I don't like to use those for my work because I want to be as original as I can but they do help you get ideas. :D

Hope that helps!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.