main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Dynamics between the Lars', Skywalkers, and Kenobi

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by beedubaya, Dec 17, 2016.

1. beedubaya

beedubaya Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 15, 2014
    One thing I am glad about is that so far in the Disney era, many of the plotholes between the PT and CT are being explained, and they are doing a pretty good job of it. However, one thing that still bugs me is the dynamics between the Lars family, the Skywalkers, and Obi-Wan Kenobi. Of course, this has been retconned as far back as the Empire Strikes Back, and at the time ANH was made, much of the lore had not yet been established.

In universe however, I have these questions.

1) Did the Lars' know the truth about what happened to Anakin?
    2) Why did Owen have such a negative opinion of Anakin, assuming he didn't know that Anakin was Darth Vader?
    3) Did Anakin and Owen have any communications or relationship outside of the scene in AoTC? It seems that both Owen and Beru knew more about Anakin than would be possible with such a short introduction.
    4) Why did the Lars family dislike Obi-Wan?
    5) How did Obi-Wan find out Darth Vader had survived Mustafar (this was answered in the old canon but hasn't been addressed in the Disney era)

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    1. Most definitely. They already knew he was a Jedi, so telling them he's become a Sith, or at least a dark sider, wouldn't be too mindblowing for them to handle. Well, mindblowing, probably, but not cripplingly so

2. 1977 answer: Luke's father did too much, was too adventurous when Owen's style was more just to sit at home and do what you're used to. Present answer: he likely did know he's Vader

3. It's unlikely. We don't know how much they talked with Padme, though, while Anakin was away

4. They feared he would drag Luke out into the same mess that made Anakin what he was

5. You got me there. Probably answered somewhere in new canon, but I'm not the one to go to for that

3. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    I think the whole dislike for Obi-Wan was one way, Owen has a deep seated dislike bordering on hatred. We will learn in due course the full story as an when it's figured out.

4. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    1) I figure all they knew was what Kenobi told them, "Ani's dead. Padme's dead. Here's their son. Look after him until I call for him. That's all you need to know."
    2) I don't think Owen had a bad opinion of Ani. He just felt Ani should've stayed home and looked after his Mom, rather than meddle in things that weren't his concern.
    3) I like to think Ani and Padme were able to talk with Owen and Beru at times. I'm sure they'd want to get away from the pressures of war sometimes, and Tatooine was well away from prying eyes.
    4) As noted, they figured Kenobi would just drag Luke away and get him killed, like he did for Ani.
    5) Probably felt it through the Force, or something.

5. Zejo the Jedi

Zejo the Jedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 16, 2016
    Kenobi movie could fix all of that.

Jedi of Baker Street likes this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    1. No, they were just told that Anakin died.
    2. I remember reading fanfic where Owen was jealous of Anakin. And in Legends, Owen knew what Anakin did to the Tusken Raiders, he found the bodies and he was pretty horrified and he didn't think much of the Jedi in general.
    3. I doubt it. Jedi aren't supposed to have contact with their family and it's not like Tatooine were full of happy memories for Anakin.
    4. They know he's a Jedi and he's always hanging around watching Luke. They were probably afraid he'll start training Luke in his mysterious Jedi ways and Luke will be killed like his father. Also the Empire were hunting and talking about how the Jedi turned during the war. So that would probably make them feel uneasy. I certainly wouldn't want the Empire showing up at my backdoor.
    5. I'm going by the Legends and he found out over the HoloNet. Makes sense, someone like Vader would definitely make headlines and of course for Imperial propaganda purposes.

Yep, like Zejo the Jedi said a Kenobi would be perfect for this subject. Even Joel Edgerton has expressed in interest.

7. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    1) Did the Lars' know the truth about what happened to Anakin?

I think the Lars' knew as much as Obi Wan could tell them showing up with a baby at their moisture farm. Basically, Anakin had gotten Padme pregnant, turned to the Darkside, destroyed the Jedi, and I'm guessing Obi Wan claimed responsibility for Anakin's death too. He would tell Owen and Beru that Luke would be in danger if he was ever found, especially now that Palps was down an apprentice he had been grooming for years.

2) Why did Owen have such a negative opinion of Anakin, assuming he didn't know that Anakin was Darth Vader?

Anakin left Tatooine, became a Jedi, and somehow slaughtered children out of the blue in his mind. Owen is supposed to be that stereotypical "if you stay at home, you won't get into trouble" type of guy.

3) Did Anakin and Owen have any communications or relationship outside of the scene in AoTC? It seems that both Owen and Beru knew more about Anakin than would be possible with such a short introduction.

Doubt it, they didn't seem too overly close in their short meeting. I'm sure Padme talked to them while Anakin was gone on his Tusken mission, but I doubt any of them stayed in contact.

4) Why did the Lars family dislike Obi-Wan?

In ANH, I think the story was probably written that Obi Wan had something to do with Anakin's leaving Tatooine and becomming a Jedi. They didn't want Obi Wan to come and drag Luke away from them to see him turn out like his father.

5) How did Obi-Wan find out Darth Vader had survived Mustafar (this was answered in the old canon but hasn't been addressed in the Disney era)

I believe the current consensus if he finds out while in the Mos Eisley Cantina, seeing a Holographic of Vader beside Emperor Palpataine basically taking control over the new Galactic Empire.

Nehru_Amidala likes this.
  8. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    Wait, what's this about public newsfeeds featuring Vader? Is this canonical? I thought Vader was mostly a behind-the-scenes enforcer who wouldn't have been recognized by the average person off the street.

9. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    In either a Jude Watson book or Obi Wan's biography, Owen said that if killing him would have brought Shmi back, he could tell Anakin would have done it. I think he feared Anakin in Aotc, and knew that he partially blamed the Lars family, whether he was justified or not.
    I know that's non canon now, but it gives a little perspective on the issue.

Torib
    I'm pretty sure Vader was always considered the face of the empire, while Palpatine worked behind the scenes. That continues into the new canon, I'm sure.

10. Torib

Torib Jedi Master star 2

Jan 27, 2016
    To me the movies suggest the opposite interpretation. Palpatine is the politician announcing the establishment of the Empire in a public speech. On the other hand, in the round-table conference in ANH the imperial officers hardly seem to regard Vader as particularly influential, certainly not the face of the Empire.

11. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    The dynamic between Palpatine, Vader, and the Imperials changed between Episodes III and IV. At the beginning of the Empire, Palpatine was seen as the politician who saved the Republic from the nonexistent Jedi Rebellion. As time went on, Palpatine worked more behind the scenes while Vader went enforcing his will and killing Jedi across the galaxy. As for the officers on the Death Star, there was one disrespectful man and Tarkin, who was important enough to Palpatine where Vader wouldn't risk antagonizing him.

Iron_lord likes this.