E.T. - Special Edition: Were the changes worth it?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by yodaschum, Jul 26, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    This goes here because ILM altered E.T. using CGI.

I feel that Spielberg has done a Lucas and graffitied over his own film. The shot of E.T looking out over the city, out of breath is daft.

What do you guys think of the changes they made?

Gator has reminded us we already have a thread covering this line of discussion, so if we could all please head on over, that't be dandy;

Topic: E.T. - The Extra Terrestrial Discussion Thread

/>
  2. Latorski Force Ghost

star 4
    I know they replaced guns with walkee-talkees. What else did they change?
  3. ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio

star 6
    Well, the original is offered with the DVD set so I'm not that bugged.

To me the changes are great in some cases and not in others.

For instance, there's a shot where E.T. dresses up as a girl and ILM enhanced his expression and made him respond to the characters around him. Very cool.

There's also a scene where he runs after his ship and it shows E.T. running in full-profile. The mystery of who, or what, this character is, is now MOOT. It ruins the suspense later in the film as Elliot discovers ET along with us.

They also changed the bike-flying escape sequence.

the whole 20th anniversary edition fx changes are mixed IMO. Not in execution, but in relevance.
  4. BobaFrank Jedi Youngling

star 5
    No. The changes weren't worth it, especially removing the guns and replacing them with radios, out of the FBI agents hands at the end of the bike chase.

But, fortunately Spielberg let us have both versions. YA, HEAR THAT GEORGE? STEVEN LET US HAVE BOTH VERSIONS ON DVD.
  5. yodaschum Jedi Master

star 4
    There were lots of changes. A few in-particular I don't like are E.T running through the forest and then looking out over the cliff. E'T's new CGI face when he comes face to face with Elliott for the first time. E.T and Elliott in the bathroom when he looks like Jar Jar binks.

When are Spielberg and Lucas gonna learn that no-one likes them messing around with movies that everyone loved 20 years ago. If it aint broke, dont fix it.
  6. gator Jedi Knight

star 2
    this has some of what you're looking for
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.