main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO E3 2014 (June 9th-12th) Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Jun 3, 2014.

1. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Wow, that's bizarre. I don't think I've ever heard of a publisher/developer finishing a game and then holding onto it.

In terms of third-party games, I think the Wii U is dead now, what with games starting to abandon the PS3/360, they aren't going to be developed for the Wii U. Exact same situation Nintendo were in last gen.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think you'll see more 3rd party releases in late 2015 or for the first half of 2016 following the install base boost, but that support will die off again by then because at that point the Wii U will fall behind on a tech level. But right now? It shouldn't be that far behind in capabilities for versions of games without all graphics options cranked to 11. I mean, it can run Frostbite, so that right there opens the door for a lot of games.

What it will come down to is XB1 sales, really. If that system keeps losing it's momentum and remains in 3rd place in terms of sales, the Wii U's anticipated install base will look more tempting because PS4 sales can't support many AAA titles by itself.

But, if XB1 can regain it's momentum and surpass the Wii U, then 3rd party support will not rematerialize this generation, no. However, I suspect XB1 will be bleeding a lot of it's install base to the PS4 this gen.

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Microsoft really brought their A-game, but Sony brought everything. Sure, that conference was long, but man, they're kicking butt.

Life likes this.
  4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    The Batman trailer was really good- I was watching the stream, and when Batman is punching out Penguin and the video started glitching, at first I was afraid that the stream was breaking down (again) and then the camera zoomed out to show all the stage lights were going crazy too, then that figure came on (Scarecrow?), with some flames on stage too (maybe). That kind of gimmick would be more in line with Watch Dogs' hacking, but I like it when they try to add something to a trailer.

Sad to hear that about Ubisoft. The eternal question of whether to publish games to increase an install base or wait for the install base to grow first, but without games there's not much reason to buy the console. Ugh, Nintendo's first party games are usually very good, but that's never enough to sell a system.

Mostly glad Sony didn't announce a price drop for the PS4- while it would seriously hurt Microsoft's marketing, so far seems like the PS4 is stable enough to fight it out with the XB1 on an equal price footing. Also would annoy early adopters. And I've heard the PS Camera is doing pretty well? Huh, not forcing it on the consumer seems to be working out (although I'm not entirely sure about the situation, so I'm probably wrong).

Too bad so much stuff is not until 2015. Well, there's at least a few Ubisoft games in 2014 (October I think?) but looks like it won't be until 2015 that this generation really heats up. I'm somewhat hoping that Nintendo can try to take advantage before 2015, but I'm not expecting much.

Let's see, Destiny was relatively low-key this year (Sony had a trailer, but previous years it made multiple appearances), but its pretty close to release (and with an alpha and beta coming up, time to find out how good or bad it is). Not much from EA (the next ME and Star Wars are still in production). Not much Japanese stuff outside of MGS 5 compared to last year's FFX and KH3, and no Last Guardian mention (rumors of it cancellation apparently being exaggerated, so far at least). Funny Tales of Hearts was mentioned, but not sure if Namco Bandai is willing to push Tales a bit more or there are that few Vita games. Might get a Vita TV to play Persona 4 alone though.

One more sorta-conference, tomorrow morning's Nintendo direct then.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Well, a Watch Dogs gimmick would be showing off pre-rendered animation dolled up to look like gameplay...which Ubisoft definitely did with Rainbow Six :p

6. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Meh, I never much cared for shooters (especially non-scifi stuff), so I did something else whenever it went to one of those team multiplayer demos. It was really funny when the Sunset Overdrive trailer parodied the "soldier using cover mechanic" battle. Let's hope the final game keeps that sense of humor (unlike Operation Overdrive, which eventually became known as Fuse), but seems like Insomniac is doing well with Microsoft. Although sounds like they're still working on Ratchet and Clank as well based on that movie trailer and mention of a remaster for the PS4. Hopefully not just a HD-remaster as the first Ratchet and Clank game had a lot of annoying controls compared to later games in the series.

Speaking of multiplayer, there sure was a lot of that this year. Well, multiplayer is always big, but maybe it was because there was more focus on games this year- between Crackdown and Assasin's Creed Unity as well as Destiny and other stuff. And there was a greater focus on games too- Microsoft learned from last year, not much Kinect focus either (or at least, it didn't drag on too long) and Sony didn't spend too long any Spellbook demos this year either. But then both are still pushing their new consoles as much as possible, so that's no surprise. Did either conference mention number sold? Didn't watch all of Microsoft's, and Sony's numbers segment dragged on for a bit (though I have to give that guy credit for enthusiasm), but neither acted too overconfident, beyond the normal bluster.

Wonder how Sony's Playstation Now project will work out. Don't think any floor reports have been posted yet, right? Well, was never quite sure when the show started- tomorrow? Just hard to tell with so many conferences on the first day (or day before).

7. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I just got done watching it because real life.

Anyway, a surprisingly solid conference despite the fact that they're easily in a position where they could coast if they wanted to - lots of games, semi-partnership with Paradox, Grim Fandango, an exclusive Suda game, cool indie titles, actually bringing over the Playstation TV, free fodder for Bendis-speak jokes, and even a much-needed crack about how crappy EA's conference was. Now was and remains a cool concept, but I'll have to see it in action first. And I liked the technical portion of the presentation, screw you guys. :p A.

I'd been slightly leaning towards the PS4 for awhile and now I think I'm going to pick one up next summer. The bulk of the stuff I want is multiplat, but of the exclusive titles I like I'm seeing about three on PS4 compared to none on Xbone, and the online service is just better. Factor in the inevitable Japanese developer preference (TGS in September should be really one-sided) and that's that.

As for those Nintendo trailers from earlier - **** YEAH ACE ATTORNEY TRILOGY FOR 3DS. **** NO THE LACK OF DQ7. Persona Q was completely inevitable given we know it's coming stateside about Q3/Q4ish. I hope it's not comprehensive.

8. Sasaki Kojiro

Sasaki Kojiro Jedi Youngling

Jun 5, 2014
    The day Fallout 4 comes out, I will retire myself with 30g of intergalactic weed, grown in the farest regions of Tattooine, and people wont see me come out of my room for days. Fallout NV was OK, but when the addons came out, specially the Old World Blues, I just loved it. Lookin forward to F4, and the new Alien Isolation, comin out in October. That game looks like an albino wookie, just awesome.

9. CaptainYorkshire

CaptainYorkshire Jedi Youngling

Apr 17, 2014
  10. Sasaki Kojiro

Jun 5, 2014
    The first SW Game that could be "Great", after the Phantom Menace for PS1. I used to play SW Battlegrounds with a friend and battlefront too, but they got kind of boring after 1 hour. Hope this one rocks!

11. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Rogue Leader, Jedi Outcast & KOTOR would like to have a word with you.

Life and Jedi Ben like this.
  12. Sasaki Kojiro

Jun 5, 2014
    Yeah, maybe you are right, but personally I think the only one who gets to talk the talk is Rogue Leader. KOTOR and Outcast didnt have the SW Hype, and the possibilities and actions in Rogue Leader where rather limited, but Rogue Leader deffinitely had the SW feeling with it.
    True Dat! haha

My Regards!

13. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Welp, it's Nintendo Tuesday. I've decided I either hear the overture or I go buy a bottle of Sailor Jerry. These are the only possible outcomes.

[​IMG]

Penguinator likes this.
  14. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    As long as you scream "NO! NOOOOO!" like Picard and smash a display case I think you're good if worse comes to worse.

Ramza and The2ndQuest like this.
  15. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    The Mii is confirmed for Smash?!

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Aand that was awesome. [face_laugh]

17. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    Okay, I'm officially maining myself.

Penguinator likes this.
  18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    I'm at work - metroid news?

19. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    Not yet, just a new Yoshi's game made out of yarn.. Looks great and cute.

20. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    OPEN WORLD ZELDA?!

21. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    It looks GORGEOUS! Sounds like it when talked about removing boundaries!

Art style looks great too… blend of TP, WW and SS

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I love these Robot Chicken segments. [face_laugh]

And non-linear Zelda 1-like new Zelda game is all I've ever wanted :)

EDIT Aaaand now I have to get Bayonetta 2... Nintendo skins and missions? yes please.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Claymation Kirby? Love it!

EDIT- That was a Power Glove...

24. Ramza

Jul 13, 2008
    X looks awesome, although that's not all that surprising.

25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Monolith's Xenoblade Chronicles X!! Must get.