E3 in IMAX 3D? Anyone heard about this, either way?

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by Flaming_Gungan, Apr 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flaming_Gungan Jedi Padawan

A friend of mine was telling me about an item he read recently in the Daily Hollywood Reporter about LFL trying to develop a Star Wars title for IMAX 3D in 2005. Has anyone else heard anything about this, one way or the other? I'm trying to find a copy of it, but nobody near me has that magazine.
  2. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Maybe it's being confused that Ep. 3 will also be screened Imax?
  3. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I agree, i think you are thinking of IMAX.
  4. Darth_Paul19 Jedi Padawan

If you didnt know, IMAX has three versions or formats: IMAX Dome, IMAX 3D, and IMAX. I havent seen Star Wars: AOTC in IMAX format but it is very likely that Episode III will be featured in IMAX, not 3D.
  5. Atticus Jedi Master

star 4
    I hope not, I thought the AOTC Imax sucked major balls, to much cut out, to big for your eyes to take in without getting eye strain, and over all not worth $10. But then again its George Lucas and he will do anything to milk the Money Cow.

GL-
    "What, we already have 4 editions of Star Wars on vhs, hell lets ruin my movie even more and add Jar Jar to the originals, He can be on Endor with little Teddy Bears that savagely eat Stormtroopers. I will also replace him with Chewbacca. We can also add a new digitally remastered CG lightsaber battle with Obi wan and Darth.":D
  6. jp-30 Manager Emeritus

star 9
    I think maybe you place too much amphasis on the man, and not enough on his company.

The two are, in fact, separate entities.
  7. DarthDork Jedi Master

star 2
    AOTC at IMAX was the greatest theatre going experience of my entire life.
  8. WormieSaber Force Ghost

star 5
    You can't project a long movie on an Imax Projector, from what I recall. But I predict E3 will be cut down too, just like E2 was.
  9. WormieSaber Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't think a long 2hr movie can be projected on an Imax Projector, from what I recall. But I predict E3 will be cut down to size just like E2 was.
  10. Atticus Jedi Master

star 4
    It was probably one of the worst experiences for me, it ranks down there with watching "Hulk" and when I was forced to stay and watch "The Wedding Planner" Now watching it on a normal Theater was great! AOTC's ranks up there when I saw the re-releases and when I saw Terminator 3. Now... that was fun and exciting.

But doesn't the MAN make his own decisions of what he wants his Co. to do and deciding whether or ot to re-release it?
  11. malducin Jedi Master

star 4
    Well you can't really separate them n that case. Thye Lucas empire is privately owned, and Lucas is the owner and ultimate big chesse of all the companies. It's not like public companies that have owners, board of directors, CEO's etc. to deal with.

Lucas might not manage they day to day operations and nitty gritty stuff but he does have to make the major decisions about his companies and properties (since he is the creator of SW and Indy). In the end it would be his decission to put Ep. 3 on Imax. Maybe the original idea was not his and the only thing he did was say yes or no, but he was still needed to take that decsision. He would be most watchful about SW than say what new project LucasArts or ILM takes.

And yes I think WormieSaber is right. The way the Imax system is setup it can only hold 2 hrs worth of material. Not only are the reels huge, but also the spooling system is more complex than 35mm projectors which make it almost impossible to have something longer than that.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.