main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

E3 offical disccusion

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Ramble_Boba, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    I think that BBC report sums it up nicely. I think another reason why Microsoft got good reviews was because the Wii wasn't playable during the press conference, but there will be 27 playable games tomorrow (today) for when the show starts properly :D

You were right about a number of things Ramble. Zelda will be a launch title for the Wii (with a GC version released at the same time) and the Wii controller will have a built-in speaker, plus a rumblepack and the nunchuck will have tilt sensors too.

The game line-up sounds great too! The highlights being Pilotwings, Super Mario Galaxy, Wario Ware: Smooth, the Konami "Soccer game" (a new PES perhaps), Metroid Prime 3 and the Wii sports game.
    As expected, the graphics were described as a turbo charged Gamecube. That may disappoint some, but the DS has proved graphics ain't all that compared to the PSP, and graphics have been compromised for fun and gameplay, which is exactly right IMO.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Gameplay is more important than pretty graphics.

It doesn't matter how photo realistic the game looks, if plays like crap and the story is crap then the game is crap.

Simple.

//Starts saving for a Wii

3. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Totally agree, if the Wii controller works as good as we are led to believe then Nintendo has a winner on it's hands. I really don't care about Microsofts super-networking claims, it's all secondary to the gameplay. As for Sony, the PS3 will still sell but they are not doing anything new enough to get me excited.

4. orn-free-tada

orn-free-tada Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 11, 2001
    the prospect of Mario kart and smash Bros online does it for me

5. GeneralGrievous1

GeneralGrievous1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2005
    PS3 is going to own the 'Wii'.

Roll on 17th November.

6. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Everything about the Wii does it for me :p

This is the official Nintendo E3 site, which nicely explains pretty much everything you need to know. The Zelda game looks simply amazing!!!!!!:
    Nintendo E3 site

Still no price or release date yet but can't come soon enough. And I think it's ganne be fairly cheap too :D

The DS line-up sounded really good too.

7. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003

And you base this on what evidence???

Are you just looking at the number of Sony fanboys who will buy it regardless of price and the fact that it does exactly the same as before only prettier or the fact that it is the better console?

Up to date I see no evidence that states the PS3 will be better than the Wii however the new attributes that the Wii has and the assumption it is likely to be far cheaper certainly makes it a mroe attractive prospect for me.

I'm also more into gameplay than pretty graphics (see above) and although I enjoyed the PSone and found some decent game on the PS2 I've always gone back to my N64 or Gamecube before I've got either of the other two out.

8. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Halo 3 trailer up at ign.com :D

The 360 will be mine!!!

'This is how the world will end'

9. JediWolst23

JediWolst23 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 22, 2005
    This console war was already won due to the Sony fans and as you say, they will buy anything sony put there name to.

Though i do think that Microsoft have shocked Sony, as they have ahuge head start and some truely amazing games on the way, such as Lost Planet, Gears of War and Halo 3

Nintendo are back in the war but will not win it, yes there idea is amazing but there are still too many gamers who will stick with Sony. Again Nintendos success and ideas have shocked many people.

I own a DS, PSP, X-Box 360 all of them are amazing consoles and i will continue to purchase games for them

I will be buying a Wii when it launches, but how long can Nintendo make good games for the Wii, it looks like there bringing out many of the big games at the start which is good. But after that what is to come for it. Developers have found it difficult to produce games for the Wii but am sure it takes time.

I firmly believe that this console war belongs to Sony again, even though i wont be purchasing one, Microsoft will come in second as an amazing console and is cheaper than the PS3, Nintendo will take last place again but wont fall all the way back like they did with the Gamecube

10. HunkyEvil

HunkyEvil Jedi Master star 3

Feb 27, 2006
    *creams over the thought of Halo 3 online*

11. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Even as a Nintendo fanboy, I admit they probably aren?t going to win the battle of the home console, although I think they will do very well out of the Wii. And as far as the facts show, they won the handheld battle and everyone thought they had no chance competing against the PSP, so who knows......

Radio 1 had a mini phone-in about the PS3 and everyone was very unimpressed with a) the price, b) rip-off controller and c) the fact it was very boring because it?s a PS2 with shiny graphics. The only person impressed was a 14 year old kid who claimed it would be the best thing ever and will definitely pre-order the £400 machine (no doubt after he?s had to convince his parents to give him the money).

So far Microsoft have done well with the games on show, and proven that there is no gap between the 360 and PS3, despite Sony?s best efforts on telling us different. Gears of War sounded excellent.

The Wii is so different to the other two that it will create its own market, simular to what the DS has done and that could bode well for them. The Wii also has the virtual console feature which allows you to download a vast amount of classic games and will allow people to play and no doubt create indie games, so I think that?s another big selling point. Developers have to come up with good ideas for the Wii, but I?m sure that can be done with those that care (i.e not EA) and the actual programming part is very easy according to Nintendo.

And in the end both Sony & Microsoft will continue to make huge loses, so technically there is always only one winner, and that is Nintendo!! :D :p

12. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    The Wii wont win the console war in the west..

However itll dominate the eastern world( and i suppose thats more important) nintendo always do in Japan

13. DewbackRider88

DewbackRider88 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    You have to look at what people are playing on now to see who will win the war.

Let me use an example. Me and my 3 mates, that makes 4 people. We all have at least one console.

Me: Xbox
    Ian: Xbox and gamecube
    Tom: Gamecube
    Elliott: PS2

Now i had a gamecube, but got incredibly bored with its lack of games and sold it.
    Eliiott hardly ever plays on his PS2.
    Everytime we all get together and play multiplayer we either use the xbox (halo tourny!!) or the gamecube (soul caliber)

The PS2 is never mentioned when we talk about games or play games.

Sony's home consoles always get rather boring rather quickly. The only good thing they have made is the PSP.

I reckon sony will get left behind this time, but will make something rather good next time

14. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    I think the Wii will do very well in the US, but until Nintendo treat the UK market with the same respect, it will struggle in the European territory. But the plans of a near global release show promising signs the tides may turn on that aspect.

That's a good way to look at things too, Rob. The only thing I would say is that there is a growing number of people who find modernday gaming very bland and stagnant (which reflects the ever decreasing sales figures), and crave for a change which the Wii will firmly deliver on.

15. Ramble_Boba

Ramble_Boba Jedi Master star 5

May 13, 2002
    So much to say after missing a couple of days even so far, so E3 looking good. So little time to say it. The quick points before I go:

Nintendo: Impressive, most impressive. Zelda looking outstanding. The controller having the internal speaker is genius, and I think the standard controller for it still looks better then the dual shocks. Impressive news of the DS side too, more then the PSP showed during sony's conference. Star Fox DS, 8 players local or 4 player wi-fi, oh yes please.

Sony: Boring. We gaming geeks have been scolded by your lies before Mr Sony, the PS2 and your complete hyperbole about the chipset hurt, so why keep ruining everything you have once done well. Oh well you have stayed on your biggest forte, stealing the work of nintendo and implementing it worse. PS3 you are an over priced huge block. Bigger then the orginal X-box, I do not have enough room for both now.

Halo 3: No surprise to see it, but certianly nice, a brilliant multiplayer FPS

GTA: Come on, even if you don't like GTA too much it is a pure pleasure to play. I rarely go though the story of any of the games, but I can tell you stories of my adventures though the lands, and that what makes it. A completly unique experince to everyone.

Tice: I was half right on the Zelda bit, but still I want it now!

16. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    Review of the Wii Nunchuck controller

Verdict. Very good for sports games and sword swinging games..

Conventional games make take a while to master. (although there is the shell option for a more traditional approach)

17. Moylesy

Moylesy Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 4, 2001
    Just been reading that, this is a bit of a concern to PS fans.

18. FatBurt

Jul 21, 2003
    agreed. I read it after the Wii review and lol'd long and heartily.

Sony = Robbin bastards

19. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    The Gamecentral boys have tried it out too, and their verdict is that it?s great :D :D
    Super Mario Galaxy sounds brilliant and could well be the game to have for launch, on top of Zelda of cause. Unlike the BBC, they found the controllers work very well for Metroid Prime, although it did sound like hard work but the same?s been said for the recent DS version, but you quickly get used to it.
    The sports game and Wario Ware sound perfect for the controller too.
    Super Smash Bros. also got a showing but I think that games a long way off still.

I saw the Starfox DS video just now Ramble and it looks great. I like the sounds of the new tatical elements too.

The Lucasart report was a very interesting read too (C4 pg.308 or freeview 100, pg.808). Lucasart admitted that the prequel trilogy was rubbish (along with the Special Editions), and the last page hinted at a Wii Star Wars game involving the use of lightsabers....say no more!! ;)

Lego SW II sounds brilliant too!!

20. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    'The lower end model lacks wi-fi, a slot for memory cards and, in particular, a port to hook up a HDMI connecter high-definition programmes.

The decision to offer a model without HDMI has raised concerns about the high-definition compatibility of the PS3.

Mr Harrison shrugged off these fears, insisting that the both models would offer full HD output.'

From what I've been told, you need the HDMI port to receive HD images, so I can't help but smell a rat here. Sounds like a right con and finally Sony seem to be getting found out.

21. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    The HDMI issue has rasied interesting points. The main one been the Blu-Ray player side, which is a HD format, so will the low end version be able to play blu-ray films, and if it does why would it be better than DVD without the HD side of it?

Anyway, what an exciting few days. Reading today though I have been surprised a little that at E3 there is no Cube verison of Zelda, not even to show it off. Just no Cube games at all. That isn't surprising because cube has long been over in Europe and America really, but you would of thought they would show you the difference versions of the Zelda.

Also, Smash Bros. Brawl! I love Smash Bros, but unfortunatly most of my mates really weren't keen, so I rarely got to play it (and when we did it made my eyes water at the insane speed). So this will be a game that I really will feel the benifit of online play. So I was already looking forward, and it looks just brilliant. And some inspired new characters in it:
    [image=http://revolutionmedia.ign.com/revolution/image/article/707/707560/super-smash-bros-brawl-20060510074452421.jpg]
    Even a Nintendog!
    And
    [image=http://www.engadget.com/media/2006/05/DSC_3389.jpg]
    Solid Snake!
    Some Videos of it here

So many nice looking games for the Wii, and while the graphics aren't overly impressive, it really doesn't matter. Some look very nice, while Tony Hawks looks a little poor. Of course the thing is that the games so far have been made on dev kits that are GameCubes with some extra RAM and the controller. So basically Nintendo are saying "Look, get used to the controller, have fun, make a game that is playable. Then in a bit we will send you a final Wii dev kit and you can then make it look good after the important bit has been done".
    Check out this Wii promo video

And Reading the GC coverage this morning put a smile on my face, because of what Tice has said. Lucasart's knowing smile when ask about a Wii lightsaber game. I mean the internal speaker genius (oh don't forget it features rumble as well, something that Sony are now leaving out) will make it even more perfect, the hum of a saber beside you. Wii will be in for pure joy!

I have seriously not been so excited about games for a long time, and it has nothing to do with Sony or Microsoft and thier continuing power struggle, nothing, it is all Nintendo. And with it getting decent reviews even with the BBC, apart from the Metroid bit but that will take some getting used to no one is really not used to holding things out like that, it could prove to be a big hit. I still think that it will not be the console war winner, but it will more then hold it's own. I also think Sony have become arrogent with their brand, and can let the strangle hold slip, even if it is just a little. It will keep europe because we are really the capital of the casual gamer, but in america it could lose a lot of ground to Xbox360 and Japan will see it in a big fight with Nintendo.

22. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    Supermario galaxy is a must own, although sigeru miyomoto has just said itll probbaly not be ready for its launch. Smash Bros Brawl looks fantastic. me and my uni mates are on it ALL hte time. the idea of it online for the Wii is magical :) sure the graphics arnt amazing, but its an improvement for sure. red steel looks great though :)

Zelda looks fantastic too and will be a super smash hit. however, Ive never been able to get into the zelda games :(

Also, I downloaded a couple of Vids on the PS3. the new marvel: super alliance( think its called) and raibow 6 : vegas. to me, although im sure thyell be decent games, the graphics dont amaze me

Yes, this E3 has been fantastic and for once, thius far, nintendo have been the star of the show. bout time :)

23. Ramble_Boba

May 13, 2002
    The main issue of the PS3 is that they have been saying how the games will be graphically superior to the 360, yet so far they have not been any better, and most of the publishers have said that the multiformat games will look the same on the 360 as the PS3 versions they have shown.

24. orn-free-tada

Aug 11, 2001
    yeh. to be fair, its only what can be expected.. i just hate false promises :p

25. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Yep, this E3 has been great and I think there's still more stuff to come. 27 playable games for the Wii and barely half have been covered so far. I'm very curious to learn more of Wii Pilotwings I must say, and Sega have promised some games for it too, inc. Sonic. And I'd like to know more about some of the DS titles; just saw the Super Mario Bros. clip and it's exactly what I wanted and more.

Super Smash Bros. Brawl looks really good, and I love the fact that a nintendog is a new character, lol!!!!
    Graphically, the Wii is behind but you make an excellent point about the development kits Ramble. They say Super Mario Galaxy is very impressive mind, which you'd expect seeming as it's come from Nintendo, so that's a good sign for the future. And everyone says this current generation has ended too soon, so I don't think it's a negative just yet.

I'm actually glad the 360 has got a positive receptions so far. Sony may claim to have these fantastic monkey destroying processors but clearly it means nout....the PS3 is no better or worse the 360, despite the big price difference and other hidden faults with the PS3. And if Blu-ray goes the same way of betamax and UMD, it could be an even bigger disaster for them.....I'm trying not to laugh too much either ;)
    Based on what I've read this week, apart from the Wii I'd also get myself a 360 and not a PS3.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.