main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO EA acquires Star Wars gaming licence

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by spicer, May 6, 2013.

1. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    New quality games are most important, whatever the title.

PS I would love a new Jedi Knight.

PPS I was totally joking about Rebel Assault - those games were terrible.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Clones + Stormtroopers + Droids + Rebels would own him ;)

3. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Kyle Katarn doesn't get owned. Owned gets Kyle Katarn'd.

4. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    This

5. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
    Battlefront 3 is more important than anything else. Jinx no comebacks

Sent via my astromech droid

6. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    We have a winner!

7. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
  8. Thefinalhack

Thefinalhack Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 11, 2013
  9. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    From the TFN homepage, Lucasfilm recently registered the following domain names:

• gunganfrontier2.com
    • gunganfrontier3.com
    • gunganfrontier4.com
    • order67.net
    • starwarsalliance.com
    • starwarsrebels.com
    • starwarswolfpack.com
    • wolfpackadventures.net
    • wookieehunters.com

The Gungan Frontier is probably the best title Lucas Learning put out, and I could definitely see Disney marking some sort of online portal or online game for younger audiences that is similar in nature to The Gungan Frontier. Still, the domain registration is rather interesting, almost peculiar really.

There's no telling if any of the domains deal with video games, or perhaps a new animated series. Or they just may be hogging domains up, as most companies do with their intellectual properties.

spicer likes this.
  10. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    Order 67? Wolfpack adventures? GUNGANS? I'm not sure what to think of this. Judging from the names alone, I am not very impressed (with being a bit interested by Order 67, alliance, rebels and wookie hunters). Wait and see.

11. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    A big game, with great graphics, Star Wars name on it and good marketing will sell well regardless. Of course it should also have the multiplayer option which kids love. Being for console, the dumber the game is, the better.

Call of Duty series (especially the new ones) are probably the most dumb and some of the worst games made. But they break every record. I think that EA will try to go in a similar route for SW games. Console series games with minimal chances, easy to play, multiplayer option. It's not what I like, but it's hard to believe that EA will make something good.

12. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    How about "Republic Commando 3: The Search for Republic Commando 2 (and Sev)"? :p

13. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012

Well it can't be worse than what we got from LA the last 4 years?

14. spicer

Nov 14, 2012
    If these new domain names are real and not covers like blue harvest was for ROTJ (and are for games), then I don't expect it to be better. I hope I am wrong.

15. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I'd kill for Faster Than Light: Star Wars, alas it will never happen.

16. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    No, it can't. LA were very mediocre, and in fact most of the good SW games were from other studios.

Anyway, I think that it would have been better if a lot of studios would have the right to work for SW games, rather than a big company like EA. Just imagine how good games we could have if there were competing all the likes of Bethesda, Obsidian, CD Project, Irrational Games, EAWare and some Activision equivalent,

darklordoftech likes this.
  17. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Well EA owns different studios. But i get what your saying.

18. ThatsNoPloKoon

ThatsNoPloKoon Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 24, 2013
    Mixed feelings. I've never played any games by DICE and the Bioware that made KOTOR isn't really the same Bioware that works for EA. It will be good to actually be getting some Star Wars games though.

Obisidian (the guys who made KOTOR 2 and New Vegas) were talking about a pitch they made for a Star Wars rpg set between EPIII and IV recently. This was before Lucasarts was closed but I was still hoping maybe someone at Disney was interested in it. This pretty much kills all hope of that. Really disappointed. Obisidian are second to none in rpg storytelling and characters and the prospect of finally a new Star Wars rpg developed by them has me foaming at the mouth. Really don't know why Disney thought making this deal exclusive was a good idea.

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge and SithLordPat like this.
  19. SithLordPat

SithLordPat Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 30, 2005
    This pretty much sums up this. I think EA could easily remake a shooter identical to what we saw from First Assault, or could produce another Battlefront; ironically Battlefront was inspired by Battlefield 1942. So it all comes full circle.

20. Master Jedi Macen Arren

Master Jedi Macen Arren Jedi Master star 2

Apr 16, 2013
    Personally I would like them to make another series of games like Kotor. Well I'd actually like them to make Kotor3, but given the fact that both characters endings have been (Very poorly) written it's obviously not going to happen. But another series like it would be good, something with the storyline and characters of Kotor and the graphics from the force unleashed would be cool. There's enough open space in the timeline of Star Wars to make it happen.

If they do make more Star Wars games I think that's the approach they should take. One off games are good but I like my games with a plot, something to connect you to the games. Also not in between episodes, Star Wars is confusing enough at the best of times. That's the one thing I didn't like about the force unleashed, you kind of knew the ending before you'd even started as regards to who died and who didn't. So just pick a fresh era for the games and work from scratch, giving them a chance to build new characters and some new places.

21. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I think The Old Republic MMO is what we have to make up for no KOTOR 3.

22. Ichor_Razor

Ichor_Razor Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 6, 2004
    Well, EA has great developers under their wing despite crappy business decisions. I'm thinking Visceral will likely be taking over 1313, Dice'll no doubt be taking over First Assault/BF3 or be making a spiritual successor to it, with either a KOTOR 3 from BioWare or some sort of Star Wars RPG.

23. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    ^^Personally, I'd say they had great developers under their wing, not have, considering the overall quality of games that came out after said developers got assimilated into the rEAper collective. And considering how BioWare treated KotOR with TOR, the Mass Effect universe with ME3, and their customers in the previous year, I wouldn't trust them with making a game of Tetris, much less another SW RPG. I'd much rather see Obsidian make another SW RPG, which, thanks to Disney thinking it was such a great idea to give exclusive rights to EA, we'll probably never see.

Actually, that reminds me, what on earth made Disney think giving exclusive licencing rights to EA was a good idea, especially with all the bad PR they've been getting this past year? Whether or not you think it's justified or overblown, you got to admit between the TOR, ME3, Dead Space 3, and SimCity 2013 controversies, and getting voted "Worst Company in America" for two consecutive years, that's a lot of bad PR in less than two years. Make no mistake, I'm not saying Activision would be much better (personally, I think Disney shouldn't have issued exclusive rights at all), but at least they haven't had nearly the bad press that EA has had recently.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    It's corporatism, big powerful companies either team-up or go at it with each other. EA may be unpopular, but they clearly have a lot of money and have a big share in the game market. Plus people continue to buy their stuff despite constantly going on about how evil they are, so Disney knows they'll make money.

25. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I think 99% of the 'worst company' thing was the bad launch of SimCity. Isn't the vote for this an online one? How easy would it be for a bunch of people angry over SimCity to spread the site and get people to vote for EA? It's got to be easier than activists that actually care about things who want the truly terrible companies to get this.

Anyways, some actual news in this regards. DICE have opened an LA branch to work on Star Wars games and they are currently hiring! There's some info here: http://www.oxm.co.uk/54046/ea-opens-la-dice-to-work-on-star-wars-games-poach-talent-from-activision/

spicer likes this.