main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EA Gets Five Year Exclusive Deal For NFL Games. There's No Stopping The Monster.

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Rabid_Balding_Ewok, Dec 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Rabid_Balding_Ewok Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2000
    Looks like were stuck with Madden. :(

>>>Five-year contract gives EA sole rights to the NFL, including teams, players, and stadiums. Take-Two reacts, calling it a "tremendous disservice to the consumers."<<<

They have effectivly destroyed all the football game competition. Were going to be stuck with EA's way of making NFL games. ESPN NFL is now dead. Good move for them but bad for us. EA no longer needs to try to make a competitive product.

-----signature-----
    "Rabid Balding Ewok, you make me sick.
    If there was an enemies list, you'd be on mine."
    [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh] [face_devil] [face_laugh]

:::*::(^^) :(^^) :::::::
    ::::::/::::^^:::::\ ::*::
    :::::/###-^^-##I :::::
    : *:.l##/(*)# (*)\\:::::
    :::/##(###.00#)#I ::::
    ::(___/#*#(XXX)/__) ::
    ::/000{{{{www}}}}\:: Ewoks Will Eat You!

2. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    I'd like to go back in time and emotionally destroy the person that encouraged Will Wright to make The Sims and all it's expansion packs.
    It's just going way too far, EA is becoming a gigantic canabalistic genatinous publising monster, 50p says that in 10 years time, 90% of all games will have that god-awful Challenge Everything slogan tacked on the front of it.

3. DARTHWEASEL17

DARTHWEASEL17 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 12, 2004
    That's a shame because ea games suck!

4. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    If it were FIFA I would have cared, but really NFL? [face_laugh]

But anyway I believe SoloCommand is right, EA will eventually publish everything. Except maybe first party games then a videogame crash will happen again and everybody will be sad :p

5. SLAVE2

SLAVE2 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 6, 2000
    Is this really a big deal? The other companies can still make American Football games surely, just not use the real names? Pro Evolution Soccer has been doing that for years while FIFA used the real stuff and Pro Evo games have always been the best soccer games. The other companies just need to stick an edit mode in there to let players change names.

6. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    It's a huge deal. ESPN was keeping EA on their toes. They had managed to take some of EA's market share. Which encouraged EA to make a better Madden. The average gamer is now going to go with the licensed game so they can play as their favorite team/player. Theres a reason that the college games don't make as much as the NFL games. Whats next? Hockey?

-----signature-----

7. Shadow_of_Durron

Shadow_of_Durron Jedi Knight star 6

May 2, 2003
    I guess they got scared when someone else actually made a better football game than Madden. Apparently, this just cannot be allowed to continue. So, instead of putting in more effort to make their game better next year, they just take out the competition.

Way to go, EA! I'm looking forward to the day when you finally rule the videogame kingdom with an iron fist, and this was yet another step towards your benevolent goal.

:p

Okay, maybe I'm exagerrating slightly, but still...

8. Shackleton

Shackleton Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2004
    Yeah, I'm not suprised at all at this move. EA is no doubt going to gobble up the rights to all other major sports you can make a video game out of in the next couple of years. They've already done it with the NASCAR series, driving Papyrus out of that market when Papyrus' NASCAR games were 100x better then EA's. It's really sad when you think of the impact a decision like this will have.

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    EA is the Microsoft/Wal-Mart of the game industry.

10. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    This is a huge deal for the NFL videogames, regardless if you're a fan of EA or not. Most of the pro-EA/anti-Sega gamers are exclaiming "Who cares, death to Sega", while those with the blinders off (Even those of us who prefer Sega/VC/ESPN Videogames) can see that there will be zero competition in official NFL games now.....And that sucks. I have preferred the Sega brand sports games (Well, for NHL & NFL, the only 2 I really play) over EA's since the 2K series were born on the Dreamcast, but I've always given EA their fair shake. Now, though, I will not. That means no more Tiger Woods for me either. It's time to speak with the wallet, even if EA won't feel the impact in their giant coffers of $$. :mad:

[image=http://img98.exs.cx/img98/8046/easportsmonopoly9lj.jpg]

11. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Oh no not the sports games! :eek:

I do agree that EA sees to be a bit evil, but at least they didn't take over a more entertaining genre of games, or one that I actually like. Don't get me wrong sports are cool, but I would much rather play them than play them.

12. SoloCommand

SoloCommand Manager Emeritus & GTA Coruscant Developer star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 15, 2001
    at least they didn't take over a more entertaining genre of games

God help us if they get exclusive rights to FPS games. Their contributions to that genre rarely escape the lacklustre, mediocre, derivative gaming dog pile.

13. The_Chim

The_Chim Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 2001
    Oh so true Solo.
    Sad but true.

Did they not have a hand in the latest 007 debacle?
    Lets not forget that jem of a game, Catwomen! Don't everyone jump at once, there are plenty left in the cheap bins! Take your time, Christmas is still 10 days away.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't care about sports games usually (ok, I love NHL Hitz, but generally speaking...), but this still hits me (hitz me? sorry...) as bad, competition wise, as was basicly said already.

So..um..yeah, what they said.. ;)

15. Doright

Doright Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 10, 1999
    God help us if they get exclusive rights to FPS games

That's not even possible.

And nothing is stopping the other ones from making football games. They just can't use NFL players and Logos. Yea we all agree that it would be a hard sell for anyone making one but they can still do it. A FPS is a whole different Animal. Companies will aways beable to make them.

The only chance EA would have to control something like that would be to sign some kind of agreement with the game system companies to only allow them to make games for their system.

16. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    Such shortmindedness. Madden is the best series of Football games perioid. Even ESPN's own football shows used Madden as playguides.

17. Mr_Sith

Mr_Sith Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 19, 2003
    I thought ESPN was the most overrated Football game anyway. And the fact that its snapped in half, proves it. This is good and bad, because as many have pointed out, EA wont have anymore stiff competition. Now, I don't believe they'll get lazy, but does this mean we'll get a Madden 2006 thats very good, but could have been better? Yes.

It's also good, because the article on ESPN boasts that EA will have access to all these kickass NFL Films music and videos and such.

18. Tobey-Wan

Tobey-Wan Jedi Master star 9

Jun 12, 2001
    As much as I haven't cared for the Sega games, this sucks. I remember when NBA Live was pretty much the only game and how lazy EA got with it. I'd hate to see that happen with Madden and the lack of competition will certainly make it a possibility.

The good part is this gives Microsoft some time to get NFL Fever up to a competitive level.

19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    So they have joined forces with His Hornedness. Interesting.

20. Rabid_Balding_Ewok

Aug 8, 2000
    Well if there was ever any doubt before now it's official. The ESPN games are now officially dead.

EA gets exclusive deal for the AFL.

Electronic Arts, ESPN hook up in exclusive 15-year deal.

Sega Sports and Visual Concepts just got served. A 15 year exclusive is just crazy.

Ubisoft is not to far off from being royaly screwed by EA aswell.

EA is even trying for a NBA exclusive deal aswell.

An EA console can't be to far away. Imagine what kind of damage they could do if all their games became exclusives on their own console. Just look how much Madden makes alone.

-----signature-----

21. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    My gawd, 15 years? You'd have to be an idiot to sign a deal like that. Who knows where technology will be in 15 years.

22. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Fifteen years is three entire console cycles(historically most consoles last ~5 years before their successors are released). Holy crap.

And every time they're asked(most recently in EGM, IIRC), EA has said that they won't risk going into the hardware business. Obviously they're well-off enough selling just software.

23. Sithlord-Boo

Sithlord-Boo Jedi Master star 2

Jan 29, 2003
    I now officially hate EA

24. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    Has EA ever even made a good game?

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That's insane! What are they thinking?