main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO EA Looking to the Best of Past Star Wars Games

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Normal_Nerds, Aug 24, 2013.

?

Which Star Wars game series would you like to see revamped?

1. Jedi Knight

9 vote(s)
    47.4%
  2. Knights of the Old Republic

13 vote(s)
    68.4%
  3. X-Wing/Tie Fighter

10 vote(s)
    52.6%
  4. The Force Unleashed

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
  5. Dark Forces/Republic Commando FPS

7 vote(s)
    36.8%
  6. 1313

4 vote(s)
    21.1%
  7. Podracer

1 vote(s)
    5.3%
  8. Other (please specify)

2 vote(s)
    10.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Normal_Nerds

Normal_Nerds Jedi Padawan star 1

Aug 21, 2013
    I was a little surprised that this hasn't already been mentioned, but EA have said that they're looking to the past successes of Star Wars games as it looks to develop new games.

Here are a few paragraphs from the article:
    “The most important thing for me is that we take the Star Wars license and come up with games where peoples’ jaws drop,” said Patrick Soderlund of EA games to Polygon. “We need to do with this what [Batman: Arkham Asylum] did for the Batman license.”

Star Wars: Battlefront is the first game to be announced after EA secured rights with Disney to work with the Star Wars license. The Battlefront franchise is one of the more popular Star Wars game series, but it hit a stumbling block when Battlefront 3, well into development at Free Radical, was cancelled in 2008. The team at DICE will have access to this work, according to Soderlund.

“We didn’t toss anything out,” he said. “We’re looking at the old games. We have access to everything that was done during the LucasArts era. But we do want to take our own stance.”

Source: http://www.vg247.com/2013/08/22/ea-wants-to-make-star-wars-games-that-make-your-jaw-drop/

With all that in mind, which Star Wars game series would you like to see revamped?

2. Shadow Trooper

Shadow Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2013
    Another Kotor style game (I don't count Tor) would be awesome, especially since EA owns Bioware. I would also love to see another DarkForces/Jedi Knight style game would also be an excellent series to emulate.

Normal_Nerds likes this.
  3. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Wipe ToR from the face of the planet. Give the rights for KotOR III back to Obsidian. Give us what we deserve

4. Normal_Nerds

Aug 21, 2013
    I'd love Obsidian to have another crack at KotOR. Did you listen to the Dev team KotOR2 retrospective interview on the EuroGamer podcast a few weeks ago? They talked about how they tried hard to pitch KotOR3 years ago.

I've tried hard with TOR, but I just can't get onboard with the MMO aspects (free to play restrictions etc). The launcher has glitched and won't update (again), so I've given up.

I'd love another Jedi Knight style adventure game too. Perhaps with some influence taken from the Uncharted series.

5. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I want KOTOR III to give give closure to TOR (KOTOR III could end with Revan killing the Sith Emperor for real) and I want a new Rogue Squadron.

Darkslayer and Normal_Nerds like this.
  6. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    For me, I'd love a KotOR3. The KotOR games were amazing and I loved them. They were probably the first RPGs I ever played and they got me into the genre, or at least that kind of RPG. Returning to the Old Republic era is something I'd love to do in a single player game.

Jedi Knight 2 was a great game, as was Jedi Academy. Another game in the series would be great, hopefully continuing on from Academy.

And yeah, X-Wing/TIE-Fighter. I'd love to see another space flight sim, and I love Star Wars, so why not combine the two?

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Why not combine it all? You assault an enemy planet, taking out key targets to support the capital ships. With space secured, you then launch a ground assault, storming or infiltrating the base.

Tech has got to the point of doing 1 of these very well, but next gen ought to be capable of far more, with more open worlds.

Normal_Nerds likes this.
  8. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I would just like a next-gen SW RPG - regardless of the time period. They could have it be KOTOR 3, or be set during the very beginning of the Jedi Order, or the Clone Wars, or the Dark Times... really, as long as it's enjoyable and has a strong story I'd play it a couple dozen times.

Normal_Nerds likes this.
  9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Knights of the Infinite Empire with a Je'daii protagonist?

moosemousse and 07jonesj like this.
  10. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    Hell to the yes.

darklordoftech likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Perhaps they could explain the conflicting Terentatek origins...

12. Normal_Nerds

Aug 21, 2013
    I've been thinking of digging Jedi Academy out of storage. Would still love a new one. Has anyone heard of any projects using the Outcast/Academy source code?

You know what I'd love though, even before we find out what EA have in store for us?

More old games on iOS. If KotOR can be brought to iPad, surely we can get Dark Forces on iPhone and android.