main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

EA Sports 2004 series

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The Gatherer, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

THE_MISSING_TRIPLET Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    there goes that possibility.

2. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Out of the entire EA Sports 2004 range, which will be the first that you purchase, and why?

3. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    How good does thew new Owner mode in Madden 2004 sound! It looks fantastic!

This is from http://ps2.ign.com

"Madden's Franchise mode has always been deep, but this year the depth and intricacies of running an NFL team are taken beyond simply being a coach or general manager, and actually enable you to become owner of your own franchise. Once you select a team to play Franchise mode with, you are immediately sent to Training Camp where you're then able to utilize nine of the mini games from last year's title to actually improve specific players attribute points. You select a player to participate in a drill like Pocket Presence, Chase and Tackle, or Swat Ball, then if you score enough points and win a trophy, you're awarded a set amount of attribute points to improve that player. Or, if you're feeling lucky, you can gamble those points and participate in the drill on a higher difficulty setting in hopes of winning even more points. Win again, and you're presented with a second opportunity to bet your points or move on to the highest difficulty ranking. Lose and you lose all of your points. If you win, though, you win big, and you can shape a player like Terrell Buckley into a nickel Sam Madison.
    Once Training Camp is complete, you move on to Preseason where you can play preseason games, adjust your team's depth chart, sign free agents, re-sign, release, or even trade players. But trading players isn't simply a straight-up swap anymore, as you now place players on the Trading Block where you place a player on the block, then tell the other teams around the league what it will take to pry a player like Charlie Garner from the Raiders. If you want a quarterback with an overall score of 85 in return or a number one draft pick, that's what you ask for, then watch as other teams make you offers that fit your criteria. Once you find an offer you like, the game will then show you the value of each player in the form of a letter grade, and will even show a scale that tips in the favor of the team that's getting the better of the deal. You're also presented with the salary cap figures to show if you'll take a cap penalty for making the trade.

Speaking of finances, once the preseason is completed, that's when you're able to dive deep into the ownership part of the game. Here you'll be able to set the prices for everything in the concession stands such as BBQ Beef Sandwiches, the Big Tuna Melt, popcorn, pizza, soda and beer. You can also set the prices of team merchandise such as programs, hats, jerseys, bobble heads, and foam fingers. From there you move on to the price of parking, tickets, and even the amount of money spent on radio, television, and billboard advertising in hopes of coaxing additional fans into the stadium. And if the advertising isn't working, you can even throw a special Fan Appreciation Day and give away key chains, hat, souvenir cups, or even arrange for fans to meet the players before the game. You will also be consulted by your trusty Board of Advisors who will chime in with words of wisdom and warning like "We should think about using some of that cap room," and "Missing the playoffs last year was a big setback." Once your season has been completed, you're presented with a balance sheet that displays all of your finances including assets from ticket sales, concessions, parking, merchandise, NFL shared revenue, and your local media contract, as well as your various expenses like player salaries, staff salaries, stadium upgrades, stadium maintenance, advertising, and Fan Appreciation Day.

Upon seeing the financial bottom line and checking out the cash flow situation, you can then look at the coaching staff for changes. Madden NFL 2004 not only features the names and likeness of all of the real head coaches in the NFL (except Bill Parcels), but also includes all of the assistant coaches from around the league. So if you're sick and tired of the way a head coach from your favorite squad has been under-performing and want to replace someone like Dave Wannstedt with an assistant f

4. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    What does everyone think of the Owner Mode?!

5. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

Jan 28, 2003
    I'm lovin it, i mean it's great, you can set ticket, food and merchandise prices, edit your stadium, move your team, and keep fan support up, It's the most in-depth and amazing thing i've ever played, if only all other EA games had this!

6. JansonYellowAces

JansonYellowAces Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 28, 2002
    I'm not even a big football fan, but I may have to buy Madden for that. They'd better put that in NHL 2005, then I can die a happy man.

7. THE_MISSING_TRIPLET

Jan 28, 2003
    it may be partially in 2004, they have a new thing called the franchise mode in which you can update you team, and your office, but the details of this are still pretty sketchy

8. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    anybody else play nhl 2004? man, i must've spent the past three days straight installing add-ons and creating my own players' cyber-faces. this has to be the most customizable game i've ever played! i love it! :D

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    creating your own players is fun once you get the hang of it. here's my latest creation:

[image=http://grimbythehutt.com/images/starwars/ice-maul.jpg]
    not too shabby eh?

i've also done happy gilmore, kano, the hulk, and the terminator in the past day or so. eventually i want to customize my own created team with jerseys, ice, boards, and of course more players.

10. Qui Gon Moon

Qui Gon Moon Jedi Master star 5

Apr 15, 2000
    I received Tiger Woods '04 for Christmas. It is kick ass.

11. Darth_Birdy33

Darth_Birdy33 Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2001
    I was looking at a preview for MVP Baseball 2004, and it looks like it might be the baseball game to beat this year. Of course, I'm a little biased; I always go with EA Sports. :D

12. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    Sports games.....meh.

Forcebewitya!

13. merlin

merlin Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 1999
    [color=663300]I've been trying to make an "all-star" Longhorn team for NCAA 2003 but have been having trouble finding all the player stats for past players. Any ideas as to where I could find a list of old Texas player's stats? Maybe point me in the direction of a Forum where they'd know?

Thanks.
    [/color]

14. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I only own Madden 2004 and NBA Live 2004.

Can somebody please give me a review of FIFA 2004, NHL 2004 and Tiger Woods 2004, and please put them in order in which you would buy them.

15. Jirin_Raman

Jirin_Raman Jedi Master star 4

Apr 6, 2002
    I suppose you'd want full commentary on each, so that will follow below:

1) Tiger Woods 2004
    2) FIFA 2004
    3) NHL 2004

I absolutely love TW 2004, it is the golf game out this year. I wanted to enjoy Links 2004, but found TW to be the more fun of the 2. Nothing beats some 4-player madness of TW 2004.

I really thought FIFA was improved this year, although I have yet to play Winning Eleven this year. The WE series had better gameplay last year, although I haven't had a chance to play this year's edition just yet.

And finally, there's NHL 2004. EA really got off their butts and improved this series for the first time since (probably) NHL 2000. They were content to sit on their laurels for years, but thanks to VC and the NHL2K series (Really, thank you, as I have been a loyal Sega hockey gamer since the original Dreamcast version), EA finally got up and revamped their game. It's still not as good as Sega/VC's game (IMO), but it is definitely good to see EA trying again.

There you are---Of course, just 1 person's opinions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.