main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Earls Court - The Venue

Discussion in 'Archive: FanForce Conventions Europe' started by Lord-Tice, Jul 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord-Tice

Lord-Tice Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 20, 2001
    Many people probably have never been to or know much about the venue that will host Celebration Europe. Earls Court is the biggest exhibition centre in London and probably one of the biggest in Europe. It is divided into two centres, Earls Court One and Earls Court Two. It?s more then likely that CE will occupy both EC1 and EC2, which gives us 60,000 square meters to play with :D
    From the outisde, EC1 is also a very nice building to look at with an Art Deco style, while EC2 is more modern and slick.

More info on the venue can be found at the Earls Court website:
    Earls Court

On that site you can take a virtual tour and check near-by hotel information.

As mentioned in the Local Travel thread, there are two stations that stop outside Earls Court, those being Earls Court tube station and West Brompton train & tube station. There are also local bus services too.

The surrounding area is rather nice and slightly posh with some very good pubs just outside Earls Court. There are also main high streets not too far away where I?m sure you can find some good take away/sandwich shops for a quicker and cheaper bite to eat. There are of cause catering facilities inside Earls Court but they tend to be expensive and limited with choice.

It?s a great venue and should serve us well. If you have any questions about the venue, please feel free to ask in this thread :)

2. gaiatha

gaiatha Jedi Knight star 5

May 25, 2002
    Is there a inside connection between EC1 and EC2? I couldn't work that out from the flour plans at the website.

At London Film & Comic Con I took some pics of EC2. I'll post them for you to get a rough idea how it could be like ;)
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/25307/Bild%20074.jpg]
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/25307/Bild%20075.jpg]
    [image=http://www.petridish.net/pics/25307/Bild%20076.jpg]

3. timbolton

timbolton Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 14, 2003
    Not 100% sure on this, but I am sure I saw on one of the inside temporary walls a sign saying "covering between Earls Court One and Two", so they may well be linked.

This is the entrance to Earls Court Two -
    [image=http://www.timbolton.freeserve.co.uk/FFUK_LFCC/lfcc_july0102_2006_01.jpg]

There are lots more pictures from the London Film and Comic Con here

4. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Yep, EC1 & EC2 are connected internally so it's nice and easy to get from one to the other.

LF&CC also only took up 2/3 of EC2, so if they do/are using it, it should be even bigger :D

5. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    So EC 2 would be great for the "Exhibit Hall" :p

And there is lot's a space for queuing up outside of the building.
    Btw how many people could you fit in 60 000m²??

6. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    I have absolutely no idea how much 60000 m2 is. How big is it compared to, say, the con centre at C3? Or a football plan? *just curious* :)

7. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    Compared to the ICC, it's quite a bit smaller but by my calculations you could fit around 7-8 football pitches into Earls Court.
    The only downside with EC is that it's just one big void of space, rather then rooms, so I suspect that will have temporary wall partitions to section things off. It works well enough at their other shows, and this time there wont be any bloody War of the Worlds music blurting out (LF&CC in-joke ;) ).

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Earls court is Posh again? Did you chase out all the Aussies? :p

It was declining when I was there a few years ago - kinda like what tourist think Soho is without the shops. Bah, when my mum was growing up, Finchley was the working class bourogh...

9. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    Earls Court is post? First I have heard of it :p

I remember Finchley being like that, well not remember but know because my dad grew up there and my family are working class (not chavs though, thank you very much :p )

10. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    When my late mum @};- was growing up in London, Earls Court, Notting Hill was Posh, Angel and Finchley and Bow all WC -

Bow is actually rather nice in places, Finchley is is off and on too.

EC - wasn't bad when I went last time, but the phone boxes were scary... [face_worried]

11. AmberStarbright

AmberStarbright Jedi Grand Master star 7

Dec 20, 2002
    lol I have been to Earls Court once. I mostly stayed in Islington and Hackney.

I guess things depends on perspective as people assume where I lived in Islington was posh but is seriously wasn't. It was council estates and working class chavs. Guess I was lucky to get out of there without being a chav :p

My dad was from Finchley and moved to Islington, same with my Aunt but she then moved to Colchester.

Now I think we have seriously derailed this thread ;)

12. Happy Ninja

Happy Ninja Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 20, 2000

13. Lord-Tice

Aug 20, 2001
    By surrounding area, I meant the likes of Kensington, Fulham & Chelsea. Earls Court itself isn't bad these days. It's gone all continental (almost) and when we were there last month it was very pleasant in the evenings. And thanks to EC2 it's had quite a bit of money pumped into the area, it looks very nice :D

14. gaiatha

May 25, 2002
    I just realised it'll be CE @ EC!!!

How funny is that :D 8-}

15. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    oi - there's nothing wrong with posh :p Earls Court is what estate agents describe as a 'hip' area - its pleasant :p

16. DarthNightfire

DarthNightfire Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
    Haha, I have "contacts" at Earls Court, so I caan just stay there for the time. And it's literally no more than a 1/4 of a mile away from Earls Court Convention Center.

17. Raj_Vader

Raj_Vader Jedi Master star 4

Mar 28, 2005
    I live about the same distance away NightFire - SW7 boy ;-)

18. DarthNightfire

DarthNightfire Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.