main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Early Casting Call for Audio Drama

Discussion in 'Archive: Fan Audio' started by Padawan_John, Jul 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    I've only got the early scenes finished, but I thought I'd start looking into who I could get cast ASAP. Here's the overall pitch:

STAR WARS
    The Adventure of Raith Vellar

It is a time of great upheaval in the galaxy. With the Clone Wars raging on, it has become increasingly difficult for the Jedi to maintain peace and order.

Many underworld organizations have taken advantage of this situation. Their increased activity has increased their profit margins, making them even more greedy.

Unfortunately, criminals do not like to share or to compete. This has led to many putting very large bounties on each other's heads . . . .

ACT ONE - SCENES 1 & 2 CAST

Raith Vellar - A Human smuggler.
    Daesha Fenn - A Twi'lek female; former slave, now Raith's copilot.
    Bounty Hunter 1 - A low-ranking hunter in a cantina.
    Bartender - A friend of Raith's

If you're interested, PM or e-mail me for a portion of the script to use for your "audition".

Thanks. :D

2. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Wow, I'm interested, but I woulnd't even know where to start. Fill me in!

3. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    I would send you the script, and you record your lines to WAV format, using a simple computer mic and Sound Recorder utility.

Once I have everyone's lines, I start compiling them together into conversations, and add background sounds and sound effects to fill out the scene.

No camera, no costumes, no choreography. Just verbal acting.

And, as I'd be adding some ambient sounds, music, and sound effects to a fanfilm, this actually ends up being less work overall.

I can send you a rough script tomorr . . . er, later today, if you're still interested.

4. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Seeing as I'm new at this, is there some demos I can check out? It seems like it could be a lot of fun.

5. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
  6. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Ok, I caught some of those.
    I just have to see if the stupid mic still works. I may have lost the recording utility in a format. Old computer, but it does me well...

Ok, Got it! Cheapie mic that came with computer still works. Hope you like your sound in GLORIOUS MONO!
    /retro/

7. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    Mono is good - I can re-sample it into stereo if needs be, too.

I've got all sorts of audio mixing and sampling software that I also use for mixing music for the bands I've been in. The stuff comes in handy for all sorts of things.

8. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    You can actually get some relatively cheap decent sounding mics at Best Buy that will work on your PC. The trick though is, don't buy a mic from the computer area. Go to the music/cds area and get one that comes with 1/4 adapter. Dramatically improve the quality of your recording.

9. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    Thanks, Keith! :D

You can also go to Radio Shack and get the 1/4" to 1/8" adapter for around $5. A decent (but not exceptional) vocal mic from the Shack runs around $30.

I use the same adapter to run from the line-out on my amp to the line-in on my sound card. Very handy li'l device.

10. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    I'll have to check into that too; I'm all new to this, so it's good for me to learn whatever I can.

11. keithabbott

keithabbott Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 1998
    Well, if you have any questions be sure to let us know.

12. DarkLordofSmith

DarkLordofSmith Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 27, 2001
    I'd be intersted in in auditioning.

If you'd like to hear example of various projects I've provided voices for visit the Star Wars fan works site, and in the people section, nad look for Michael Smith.

If you would still like me to record a line, let me know.

13. Nathan_P_Butler

Nathan_P_Butler Author, Star Wars Tales #21 star 4 VIP

May 23, 2003
    John, I'd be up for whatever role you might need. Just sort of "jack of all trades-ing" these days. Just like Michael, my full list of various works to check out would be in the Fanworks people section under Butler, Nathan P.

14. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    Well, for the early scenes, I just need to cast Raith, a bounty hunter, and a bartender. Provided that -E- takes on the copilot role, I can get the first act put together and bounced to stereo rather quickly.

15. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Wow, I know I've been real bad about getting you those samples; it's just that (I swear) I'm shy.

I was wondering...how is her personality to you? There are several ways that she could be approached; I have my ideas, please tell me yours.

16. -E-

-E- Jedi Master star 3

Sep 1, 2003
    Hey, sorry it's taken so long for me to get in touch, but I've been staying in a relatives house in the boonies with no internet to speak of.:rolleyes: (I'm doing this from a public terminal.) Unfortunately, I'm going to be here at least another week, so unless you guys feel like you have all the time in the world, I'm not going to be reliable for any sort of recordings.
    When I came down here, I didn't know the computer was on the fritz, or I would have let you know days ago. Phooey. Anyway, hope things go smoothly with the rest of the project.

17. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm a very starving student with no private internet access. Is there a way to snailmail an audition tape?

18. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    For most audio dramas, tapes can't be used. They have to be audio files in Mp3 or Wav format. Maybe you could record files on a computer and burn them to CD to send to him. But tapes...rarely, if ever, able to be used for current fan audio productions.

19. WinterRose

WinterRose Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    Hey Nathan? Have you got all the parts cast for this yet? Just curious. Hit me with a mail with the audition lines and I'll see what I can get you.

-Edward Gore

20. Nathan_P_Butler

May 23, 2003
    I honestly don't know. It's Padawan_John's project. I never got info for it for the classifieds.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.