main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Early screenings / early buzz & reactions thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Xinau, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Yep. I’m a big fan of haunted, conflicted characters, so I’m loving what I’m hearing from Luke. Even if that’s just for the first half, this goes a long way in making the character more layered.

2. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    That start sounds pretty much what you'd expect. An unsurpising start.

The people who want Luke to be Superman right from the start... Eh. You've no sense of drama.

3. Harbour

Harbour Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 15, 2015
    He is right though. You dont need to watch the whole movie to know how Luke is in the beginning of the movie. He let Han's death and the death of billions people in Hosnian System go easily (untill Rey came at least) according to the scene description.

4. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    And do you know why? No. You know why you don't know? Because you haven't seen the movie.

EDIT: By the way, you might as well blame Obi-Wan and Yoda for the destruction of Jedha City and the obliteration of Alderaan.

beachdude42, Myself656, Xael and 3 others like this.
  5. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    This.

Not interested in flat, vanilla, perfect returning heroes. I appreciate that Leia, Luke and Han were brought back with layers, flaws, and journeys still to complete.

They could've easily turned them into deity figure heads. Lesser filmmakers would have. Thankfully this team thought better.

6. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    THANK YOU

7. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Give me 'Fisher King' Luke any day.... because then we have something to work with dramatically.

I remain very optimistic about this franchise's future if they are resisting pure fan service. They need to give us the story we need, not necessarily the story we want.

8. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I am upset as well. I expected this:
    [​IMG]

9. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I still can’t work out if that’s the opening of the film (as everyone keeps saying it is) or if we open at D’Qar then cut to Luke as some here are suggesting. My instincts are you’d start with D’QAR but all Rian’s quotes suggest we’re starting with Luke and Rey don’t they?

Re Fisher King Luke - agreed. I think it gives the story and Mark way more to play with and should eventually prove to be hugely satisfying. I hated the old EU and have no interest in seeing that kind of all powerful boy scout continue on. Dull, dull, dull.

10. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    yep, watched the livestream of Rian, Daisy and Mark arriving for the screening. They also made some small interviews. Nothing new regarding spoilers.

11. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    I expected him to return as Lukerman. :)

CairnsTony and Mostly Handless like this.
  12. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    I'd have thought D'Qar, or maybe the First Order, would make more sense as introduction. That is, assuming that TLJ starts with a camera pan to a spaceship like every other Star Wars film to date.

Myself656 and CairnsTony like this.
  13. CairnsTony

CairnsTony Force Ghost star 5

May 7, 2014
    Agreed. I can't see them breaking with tradition here: I'm sure there will be an establishing scene with the FO or whomever in space, before we find out what has happened after Luke and Rey have been staring at each other for the last two years.... ;)

14. Charlie07

Charlie07 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 22, 2015
    Early stunt work footage from Skellig:

[​IMG]

15. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014

Agreed, though maybe this is one of the things that makes this film different from the others. I think starting at D'Qar also gives more room for the crawl. I just wonder why Rian and various quotes keep indicating we pick up from Rey and Luke first.

Myself656 and Mostly Handless like this.
  16. wobbits

wobbits Force Ghost star 4

Apr 12, 2017

The guy hasn't seen it. He finally admitted it on his instagram post with the picture of Rey and Kylo.

Mostly Handless likes this.
  17. FrolickingFizzgig

FrolickingFizzgig Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2016
    Where in this did you get the sense that he was hiding something from Rey that didn't revolve entirely around Kylo? The ReySky goggles are truly powerful, it seems.

Luke has no idea who she is. He asks because she managed to track him down after 6 years and arrived holding a lightsaber he probably hasn't seen in over 30 years.

Rey brushes off the question because she doesn't think it matters. In her eyes, she's nobody. News of the FO, the Resistance and everything else would be sure to illicit a reaction from Luke much more readily than telling him her name and going into a long explanation about her life as a junk scavenger on an outer-rim planet.

He gives her back the lightsaber and starts to walk away.

This is when she brings up her duel against Kylo, and finally he responds. Every bit of heavy emotion here revolves around Rey finally going into the encounter she had with his nephew. He's probably shocked that she managed to survive, and curious as a result. That this random girl he has never seen before could emerge victorious in a duel against his highly skilled and pretty over-powered nephew.

18. Tasu Leech

Tasu Leech Jedi Padawan

Jul 17, 2015
    Hey guys, so I'm a journo (that's all you're getting, lol) and was at the Cinépolis event last night. Even got to meet Daisy!

Firstly, the screenshotted thing that's been floating around reddit isn't true, take my word for that. It's just made up. Here's what we were shown, and it was nothing like that post...

We were NOT shown the opening crawl. Let me make that clear first. The snippet began panning down from space, obviously right after the crawl. It does NOT begin right where TFA left off. It pans down onto a huge resistance ship which zooms past the camera with the D'Qar planet in the background. You can see a large First Order star destroyer next to the planet's ring in the distance. Then it goes to Poe (and BB8) rushing through a corridor of the ship with an alarm blaring, saying something to the effect of "All pilots to your ships. First Order forces have entered the system" (to that effect). Poe then shouts at BB8 "go!". Next thing is Leia, her daughter Billie's character updates her on the situation. They're surrounded, pretty much. Poe comes in at this point. She chides him a bit about wasting time not getting to his ship. He says that he can't leave Finn behind if the FO board the ship, she sighs but tells him to do what he can. Next scene is BB8 in the chamber where Finn is on life support. He tries pressing buttons to wake him up but the machine blares back that his recovery is not complete.

After this, the film moves to Kylo Ren in his Tie-fighter emerging from the Star Destroyer's bay with a ****-load of normal Ties. He commands them to attack the X-wings headed towards them and says he will take the capital ship himself (he brings two Ties with him). The shot in the trailer where the Ties and X-wings fly past eachother over D'Qar happens at this point. It then cuts back to Poe who arrives in the medical chamber room. BB8 gives him a look of "it's not working" and Poe tries to get Finn out himself. Lots of people rushing past in the corridor. Poe also fails to wake him up as Rose (Kelly Tran's character) peeps in the door. She tells him she is a technician and explains why the machine won't release Finn, he could die if released. Poe tells her to stay with his "friend" and she agrees, and BB8 follows him rushing out towards the hangar. (Rose and BB8 exchange a "oh ****" glance) It cuts back to Kylo at this point who shoots down two X-wings with ease (they're clearly not even his objective) and he takes out a turret on the capital ship. He then heads towards the large hangar where X-wings are emerging from. It goes straight back to Poe who enters the hangar as his black X-wing explodes from a missile launched by Kylo. An A-wing then shoots one of the Ties next to Kylo, which hits Kylo's Tie and sends him hurtling away from the opening. Poe picks up a gun from a dead X-wing pilot and aims at the third TIE, which is shooting pilots in the bay. He fires straight through the cockpit, sending the Tie into the hangar bay floor.

The music is brilliant. It reminds me of the Original Trilogy in that it sounds a bit more retro in quality rather than being overly sharp. It specifically reminds me of some of the Bespin music. That wasn't all we got, by the way. Poe's commlink tells him to get back to Leia. It then cuts to Kylo who steadies his ship and destroys another turret on the capital ship. Straight back to Leia, who senses her son. And vice versa. Leia tells Poe that they cannot afford to stay and that they are about to have enough room to jump past the First Order into hyperspace. He gets mad that she wants to abandon his X-wing buddies who are out there fighting. But she gets her way and the resistance's larger ships leave the system. General Hux watches as they disappear. He doesn't look happy. Kylo Ren rages and shoots down some of his Tie comrades who failed him.

We were then treated to Rey approaching Luke on Ahch-To and handing him the lightsaber. He takes it, looking shocked, and says "who are you?" The music builds and then - owch. They ended it there. Talk about blue balls. I've remembered everything I can, but if anyone has any questions perhaps it would jog my memory over any little things I missed. But that's what we were shown in full. Thanks for reading.

19. AhsokaSolo

AhsokaSolo Force Ghost star 7

Dec 23, 2015
    Wow that sounds so much better than the first “leak.”

20. jaqen

jaqen Chosen One star 5

Jul 22, 2004
    Did his admission on instagram pre-date his tweet?

21. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    This certainly sounds more like 10 minutes of footage.

I like Rose and Finn's opening a lot. That she ends up in the same room as him because she knows about his medical equipment is really interesting.

I like that Kylo shoots Poe's black X-Wing in the hangar. The fued.

Leia and Kylo sensing each other through the Force.

Leia leaves some of the X-Wing fighters behind. The cost of war.

Kylo shooting his tie fighters. Lol. Pissy mood, as always. I guess after this he's going to get dressed up with the cape and helmet for his performance review from Snoke, who is not going to be happy with him. And he'll smash his helmet?

22. smudger9

smudger9 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2007
    Time to vacate the thread I think!

23. Shakez

Shakez Jedi Master star 3

Aug 22, 2014
    That's not even the opening ten minutes then, because all this happens after the Battle of D'Qar.

24. MyOnlyHope

MyOnlyHope Jedi Master star 3

Jan 20, 2016
    Definitely sounds more real and more like 10 minutes of footage! The pacing also seems right to me. Love Rose's introduction and that Kylo's overwhelming fury, inner conflict and failure is being established right away. We know from the trailer that he's crying in at least one of these shots. Seeing it in person is probably a lot more emotional. I bet the little scene of BB-8 trying desperately to get Finn out of the coma device is really sad and touching.

25. FrolickingFizzgig

Feb 1, 2016
    Good point. That escaped my mind... the battle of D'Quar, that is.

Something about this feels totally off for the "intro" of the movie, IMO. And they didn't show a crawl (if this is to be believed at all). I would be willing to buy that it's a 10-minute clip from the film, but as an intro it's certainly weird.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.