main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Early screenings / early buzz & reactions thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Xinau, Nov 16, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 12, 2015
    [​IMG]

A advanced privace screening of TLJ very soon...

2. IrisBest

IrisBest Jedi Master star 4

Nov 1, 2015
    I think Dec 1 is just the rsvp deadline, not the date of the screening? It looks as though information like the actual date of the screening has been edited out.

3. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    (deleted)
    Never mind. Best I just leave Bowen to be what he wants to be.

4. JediAce1

JediAce1 Force Ghost star 5

May 8, 2014
    Right, the Dreadnaught attack happens first but the Resistance are able to hold them off and destroy the ship. They think they are in the clear but Kylo and his goons show up and wreak havoc. Blow up Poe's x-wing before he can get to it and really weaken the Resistance as a whole.

5. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    never mind :(

6. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    I wonder if that Verizon clip shows Poe trying to chase down Kylo in the Silencer?

7. Luke02

Luke02 Chosen One star 6

Sep 19, 2002
    Nipuhanipera

See to me that makes sense though because people forget TFA was the sequel to ROTJ which came out over thirty years ago and something people have wanted to see for a generation and quite frankly most people would never happen. TLJ is the sequel to TFA which came out two years ago. Obviously the build up is not going to be the same.

And I will argue to the day I die that having Mark Hamill being the star of the movie does not carry the same weight as Harrison Ford does even if he is playing Luke Skywalker. Harrison is truly a star that can put butts in the seats if he is playing the right part. I just use my parents particularly my mother as a great example. She absolutely had to go see TFA in the theater because Harrison Ford was in it as Han Solo. She isn't in such a rush to go see TLJ because Mark simply isn't Harrison to her.

dekaneas and jaqen like this.
  8. Nipuhanipera

Nipuhanipera Force Ghost star 5

May 25, 2014
    But then again, the tracking for TLJ appears to be terrific. So my example might not be the most accurate. We'll see how many people show up in the theatre when all is said and done.

Mostly Handless and Luke02 like this.
  9. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Not to mention that by all accounts Hamill's performance in TLJ is also terrific.:)

Satipo likes this.
  10. Jedi Jessy

Jedi Jessy Force Ghost star 5

Feb 28, 2016
    I'll ask Rian if he can send TLJ_complete.avi to my email. With subtitle in brazilian portuguese

11. Christopher Blair

Christopher Blair Jedi Master star 4

Dec 23, 2015
    too bad not enough felt that way to make the best movie of the yr so far more money in blade runner 2049

jaqen likes this.
  12. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    So... This is a report on the ten minutes shown to the Mexican press the other day, and I believe this render the other reports as bogus.

For anyone that can't speak Spanish, the basic vibe is very positive. The sequence is essentially Poe and BB8 trying to blow up the dreadnought (I assume) canon during the space battle. She says the action and VFX are great and very entertaining. She says it's very funny. There is great tension involving the safety of a new character that's introduced. And we don't know anything about them but the way sequence plays out really makes you care about them. I'm guessing that's Rose, though I suppose Paige is a possibility too. Hux is also in the sequence. She says her one worry is that - while the humour is funny, she wasn't sure it was traditional SW humour as it was at the expense of one of the characters (I'm guessing Hux), and to her it felt a little like Marvel humour in that regard. But she said it was still entertaining and funny, and maybe it won't seem out of place in the film. She also said anyone worried that with a new director coming aboard it might not feel like SW (or specifically TFA) can stop worrying because it sit right alongside it visually. It feels like a continuation. Anyway, bar her mild concern about the tone of some of the humour, she is very positive indeed. As a side note, she also says that Mark said it was his favourite film since ANH. We know he's also said best since Empire, so either she mis-remembered or Mark has it placed in the top 3 SW movies for him (FWIW).

13. Eugene3

Eugene3 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2017
    satipo was ahead,
    I was to post it, i'm spanish, she said there's a big destruction too , also that there is a scene similar to Rogue One in which the ships enter in speed light, says it is fantastic.

14. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    If you asked me to describe "Marvel humour" I couldn't tell you what that would mean.

15. HugoWanKenobi

HugoWanKenobi Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 3, 2013
    Gaby Meza is ultra reliable, she's a brilliant movie reviewer and runs a big Youtube channel, "Fuera de Foco". She's very popular in Latin America as other spanish language countries. She was invited as interviewer for last week press round and even Rian posted a pic of her on Instagram wich Mark "liked".

16. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    Her enthusiasm is very encouraging. And we can now bin the other reports.

17. MagnarTheGreat

MagnarTheGreat Force Ghost star 5

Jul 21, 2016
    Bathos.

18. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Which others? I've only heard good to great things. That is if these folks have even seen the film.

19. ThreeDeathstickProblem

ThreeDeathstickProblem Force Ghost star 5

Sep 25, 2014
    It's a failure to understand the difference between humor that informs the audience and gives insight into characters and humor that undercuts the moment. Like Poe's "who talks first" moment, which a lot of people hate as "marvel movie humor," when it's not. It's a guy trying to put on a brave face and mock a threatening enemy. Compare that to Marvel movie humor, where the characters are often earnest, but something incidental happens to make their dramatic moment seem silly.

I wish people would watch TESB as much as they praise it. There's a lot of humor in there, not just from C3P0. Lando's realization that his people didn't fix the hyperdrive is hilarious. It happens during a moment of drama too as the heroes try to escape from Vader's ship, but it makes sense with the characters as we have come to know them. It lightens the mood by exposing a character's presumption that he could outsmart Vader (much like his friend Han thought through the previous two acts), but doesn't undercut the immediate threat Vader poses either.

20. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    There were two reports about the Mexico footage. One claimed it was the Rey/ Luke scene. Then another one came on these boards that detailed lots of stuff about the D'Qar battle that seemed all over the shop and didn't quite line up with the trailer footage to date. This report is accurate and debunks both.

ThreeDeathstickProblem - I could be wrong, but I think it's going to be Hux as the butt of a fair amount of ridicule in this film, so maybe that's what she's referring to. But I agree with what you're saying.

21. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Who wants to bet Poe will get the own the millennium falcon by the end of episode 9.

dekaneas likes this.
  22. Satipo

Mar 29, 2014
    I'm pretty sure it'll stay with Rey.

23. jedijax

jedijax Force Ghost star 6

May 2, 2013
    Poe will be busy as the new Chancellor of the Republic.

24. Daxon101

Daxon101 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 7, 2016
    Even after they are making a huge deal out of his piloting and even has his own personal X-Wing that is destroyed?

25. Rogue Seven

Rogue Seven Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 6, 2017
    It's "at the expense of the scene" humour. I can give you some solid examples.

Avengers, Hulk falls onto Black Widow's chest....played for laughs right after a serious "dramatic" scene (sidebar: Whedon replicated this EXACT childish joke in a Justice League pickup scene he added when he took over the film from Snyder, between Flash and Wonder Woman), which undercuts the tension of the dramatics.

Thor 1 and 2: Kat Denning's character exists to crack wise in otherwise tension-filled scenes, and the wind drops the sails to zero as a result. Sure you might laugh at the joke, but the scene is no longer memorable for the drama...it's now memorable for the silly joke that capped it off.

Avengers Age of Ultron is the worst of the lot though...with things like Ultron cracking jokes right after Quicksilver dies...It's like you can't have a reverent death scene in a Joss Whedon film without him needing to chuck a joke in there which robs the scene of its gravitas.

The Russo Bros. seem to have a better handle on it...with Cap 2...but Civil War slipped into it a bit too much as well.

It's poorly timed jokes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.